Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 09:01PM

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suelo
"Daniel James Shellabarger (known as Suelo, born 1961) is an American simple living adherent who stopped using money in the autumn of 2000. He was born in Denver and currently lives part-time in a cave near Moab, Utah when he is not wandering the country."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dr B. (Buzzard Bait) ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 11:09PM

Any one like Jesus has to walk in his footsteps and do as he did with total love for his fellow man and to give his all for the children of God (US humans for example) A corporate leader does not cut it!

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 11:18PM

The worst thing Jesus could do is to walk into a Mormon conference meeting. Nowhere else on Earth would he be so reviled.

Posted by: drjekyll ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 12:59AM

TSM nor any of these GA cats is anything like Jesus. They are all power mongering assholes, some of which, who, from time to time, tell feel-good stories about how they showed concern for some poor sap or old lady to cover up their assholeness which is displayed daily when the rail against the poor schmucks following them and trying to please and obey them at every turn.

I don't know "S" about Suelo, but being some wandering camper dude who shuns money doesn't show that you have any concern for mankind, social justice, or any helpful cause whatsoever. All it says to me is that you want to say "F" you to society. Doesn't really make you a Jesus in my book either.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 12:46PM

I didn't say Suelo was god, but he clearly seems to be following this advice from Christ:

Mat 6:24No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Mat 6:25Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

Mat 6:26Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

Mat 6:27Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

Mat 6:28And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

Mat 6:29And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

Mat 6:30Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

Mat 6:31Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

Mat 6:32(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

Mat 6:33But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Mat 6:34Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Christ led by example. In our modern day there is concern about our carbon footprint, the impact of our modern conveniences on the planet, and feeding the world. Suelo demonstrates that it is possible to live without the modern conveniences. He lives simply, provides service at women's shelters, is kind to his fellow man. Again, I am not arguing he will atone for your sins, but I think Christ would find more in common with how Suelo is living his life than how most Christian preachers of the prosperity gospel including Mormonism, live their lives.

Posted by: drjekyll ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 01:59PM

I'd say there is a big difference between "serving" money and "using" money. In the first instance, I would say "serving" it means that all ethical considerations are irrelevant unless they maximize your acquisition of money/resources, in the second instance, I see "using" it is simply a way of having a universal storage of value to make barter and trade simpler and available to a wider range of market participants to the benefit of everyone.

To say that this Suelo guy doesn't use "money" is misleading. He just doesn't touch "currency notes", but he does allow and rely on people to transfer their "money", in the form of clean water, food and other necessities. He isn't living in a bubble. He isn't self-sufficient (not that he's trying to be), and what exactly he contributes to the society that supports him in charity is debateable.

That's why I labelled him as a kind of free-rider giving the finger to the society that supports him. He's not disabled and he's got a college education, but he wants to be the embodiment of something akin to the Forest Gump running across America. As a simple example, there are probably a lot more elementary school kids who could use his help in doing their homework than there are who are benefiting from his freebie-consumption-based cave dwelling. Apparently he has time for city council meetings, where if needed he could chime in about his needs and complaints, but I don't hear anything about him having time to set up shop in the local public library with a sign saying "college-educated tutor available for free"...

So, I'm calling Suelo's anthropological experiment bullshit, since he says that he's pointing out how much we all need each other. Sorry, Suelo, but no one needs a "non-participant" in the social game. All he's doing is providing yet another example of the fact that society is charitable and that some people game that fact. Two things that we already knew and don't need an endless stream of Suelos to point it out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.