Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: TheIrrationalShark ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 06:16PM

What do you guys think of the following article?

http://en.fairmormon.org/Book_of_Mormon/Warfare/Swords

Here's what I have to say. Here's a quote from the article:

"And now behold, my brethren, since it has been all that we could do, (as we were the most lost of all mankind) to repent of all our sins and the many murders which we have committed, and to get God to take them away from our hearts, for it was all we could do to repent sufficiently before God that he would take away our stain—Now, my best beloved brethren, since God hath taken away our stains, and our swords have become bright, then let us stain our swords no more with the blood of our brethren. Behold, I say unto you, Nay, let us retain our swords that they be not stained with the blood of our brethren; for perhaps, if we should stain our swords again they can no more be washed bright through the blood of the Son of our great God, which shall be shed for the atonement of our sins.(Alma 24:11-13)
Wiping blood from a metal blade is simple—cleaning such a weapon is no miracle. However, the wooden-hafted macuhuitl would absorb the blood, making it almost impossible to clean. The "brightness" of the sword blades matches well with obsidian fragments."

Doesn't the Book of Mormon passage sound more like a metaphore that God is forgiving them of their sins, and thus the "blood" or sin is washed away? But of course, a literal interperitation of this passage is more convenient for the apologists. If it wasn't, they'd instantly call it a metaphor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 06:31PM

No need to apol for swords, Asians used them before the BoM people; it's just that the constituents (skills & raw materials) are <temporarily> AWOL.

search Nova swords, I've found & posted it here before.

Hey; the WHOLE BoM is a metaphor!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2012 07:41PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 06:52PM

I see, so they "did molten out of the hill" to make swords out of steel, which are really the wooden-hafted macuhuitl with obsidian fragments.

Ether 7:9
9 Wherefore, he came to the hill Ephraim, and he did molten out of the hill, and made swords out of steel for those whom he had drawn away with him; and after he had armed them with swords he returned to the city Nehor, and gave battle unto his brother Corihor, by which means he obtained the kingdom and restored it unto his father Kib.

Or were Mormon apologists hoping nobody would run a search on "steel" at scriptures.lds.org?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2012 06:52PM by Makurosu.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 07:53PM

Sorry for my ignorance. I confess I never made it past 2nd Nephi as the whole thing didn't ring true to me even then.

But I'm more concerned that they knew about the coming atonement of Jesus Christ than the steel thing. So, was this (fake) scripture chronologically before the reserection of JC and if so, how did they know about it?

Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 08:54PM

I like how everything is repeated about three times--you know, to save space on the plates because it's so precious...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.