Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 08:03PM

"Helen Radkey ... is accusing a former church official of making a veiled threat this past Sunday.

"The Salt Lake City researcher said a former LDS bishop, Larry Shaw, called her Sunday night 'to silence me as a dissenter.' She also said that he invited her 'back to the Mormon church. I declined the offer, giving Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon a pass.'

"Shaw told HuffPost that he called Radkey 'as a friend' to express the love the church offers. He denied threatening her in any way.

"According to Radkey, Shaw 'told me, years ago, as a Mormon bishop in Salt Lake City, that God would kill me if I laid a hand on the Mormon church. The first question he asked me tonight was how is my health?'

"She said that Shaw asked her three separate times about her health in an hour-long phone call and that she interpreted that as 'insidious personal harassment.' She also said Shaw, now a coordinator at a church school in Atlanta, 'implied that I might soon be going to the other side because of my age.'"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/08/helen-radkey-mormon-baptisms-harassment-accusation_n_1333267.html

CREEPY!!! (Are the "Danites" trying to make a comeback?)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2012 08:49PM by Fetal Deity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: informer ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 08:25PM

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 08:30PM

I was threatened with similiar threats of destruction when I left the church, so I'm inclined to believe that many Bishops take this approach. I love that this is getting media attention.

God bless Helen Radkey!

Date: March 09, 2012 03:47AM

However, whether he was only implying a punishment from God or something more sinister, if I were Helen Radkey, I might start taking precautions for my safety. There are certain to be some self-appointed guardians of "the gospel" out there who might feel compelled to PHYSICALLY silence anyone doing such damage to the church's image.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 08:51PM

and this is why TSCC is done - they cannot control all of the little frankenstein monsters they've created

oh sure, when it comes to things like earrings or underwear they have complete control - but when they most need all of the members on the same page there's always that handful that will go and do stupid sh!t like dunk anne frank for the 9th time or blog about how racist they are or just generally pick the absolute worst moment to act like total assholes

they truly are their own worst enemy

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 08:58PM

"and this is why TSCC is done - they cannot control all of the little frankenstein monsters they've created"

so funny.

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 09:23PM

Geez, I'm surprised they have any part of their foot left to shoot......

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 09:26PM

God keeps growing them back so they can shoot them again. ;)

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 11:45AM

Clearly the Lord revealed his will to his prophets. The foot is best kept in the mouth for protection.

Ana

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 09:53PM

Is every bishop that is put in office suffering from an inflated ego? How is it that people like bishops can keep on doing this crap?

The constant references to satan and the destruction of people was one of the biggest turn offs for me. It really made me keep asking what was wrong with people in the church.

After enough research and years of therapy I have come to the idea that the people were once trying to keep themselves in control within the social norms of society ......but they get involved with an organization like mormonism and they become predators. Who the hell calls an older lady and starts telling her that she is going to die and threaten her? The egotism of it is frightneing because it is so fuled by the organization.

Posted by: Lehi ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 10:45PM

No way! Larry L. Shaw was my seminary teacher in 9th grade back in the late 80's in SLC. He is a big-time hothead and a complete asshat. We had a club a guy in my stake started called BALLS. It stood for Brethren Against Larry L. Shaw (we often inserted "Lucifer" for the middle initial). After everyone joined BALLS and he lost control, they got rid of him at the end of my 9th grade year. The guy who started BALLS told me he was walking home one day and cut across the church lawn as Larry was coming out and Larry raised his hand to the square and commanded him in the name of Jesus Christ to get off the church's property! Looks like he's still kicking around the CES and threatening Helen Radkey in his spare time. I still remember his lesson on virginity. He passed around this glass ornament to everyone and said it represented chastity. When it was passed back up to the front, he whipped out a hammer and violently smashed it to bits. Then he made the point that you can repent, but once that cupcake is licked, there's no fixing that. He'd turn red when he was pissed, which was often. Man, he was a fnckwit! I still can't believe they let a guy like that teach 9th graders. You need someone a little more sociable and less prone to constant douchebaggery to get along with kids that age.

Date: March 08, 2012 11:28PM

Thanks for adding your personal testimony, "Father" Lehi ...

: )

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 12:34AM

Who'd want to lick a smashed ornament?

(Okay, maybe a masochist.)

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 10:27AM

Lehi, may I copy/paste your personal story into another discussion forum?

The discussion is on Free Thought Blogs, and is not limited to mormonism, but the Helen Radkey story came up.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 10:43AM

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 04:58AM

the same way the Lafferty brothers did. and the same way that many who are forced to quit do, because they recognize MORmONISM as the truly violent and Evil thing that it really is.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 10:00AM

In most mainstream churches, the members can fire someone like Shaw, and hire someone else.

In the Morg, the Bishop is only responsible to the Cult, sending in good numbers (usually falsified) and most important, keeping up a good income from tithing.

In mainstream churches, the clergy is responsible first to their members, and then to those higher up.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 10:24AM

LDS Church leaders (or at least their PR department) have been saying for some time that they put in safeguards that would prevent necrodunking of holocaust victims.

We know they are actually still pushing the "baptize everyone" agenda.

It was interesting to see this confirmed, in a way, in that HuffPo article. The Church still wants to baptize whomever, but it seriously wants to NOT be caught doing so.
Excerpt from the article:

"... Radkey and others argue that the church's technological change appears to be aimed more at her than at the eager baptizers.

"Jewish genealogist Gary Mokotoff said the change made by the church was designed to deny Radkey and other researchers the ability to uncover efforts by overzealous Mormons to posthumously baptize people outside their families. "It is not an effective way to block Holocaust victims but could seriously prevent Helen from searching for victims," he said.

"Mormons are so desperate to block investigative access to their huge uncontrolled file of baptized names, they are tracking those who access this data, and locking out those, like myself, who find controversial names, names they would conceal," Radkey contended via email."

Posted by: Emma's Flaming Sword ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 10:54AM

Your name should be yours even after death. It seems like defamation to me.

Who wants their name associated with weird cults?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2012 10:54AM by Emma's Flaming Sword.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 03:52PM

You know, calling her up after so many years serves no real purpose so it's obviously harrassment but she comes across as a bit paranoid if all she has is him asking about her health three times.

Date: March 09, 2012 07:22PM

However, it seems I've heard that question used by gangster-types in movies/T.V. shows to imply that the other person's health might soon be taking a turn for the worse--the "veiled threat" that Radkey perceived. However, it's possible that any threat he may have been making was only as "a representative of the Lord," and that he was just reiterating what he had told her before, that God would kill her for damaging the reputation of the Mormon church.

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 04:30PM

My posts are not being posted on Huffington Post. My comments are not offensive and zero swear words. I'm also noticing A LOT of mormons are on there defending the church and demonizing this woman. I wonder if the moderators are Mormons???????? Has anyone else had this issue?

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 04:35PM

Edited to add:

Mine just showed up. : )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2012 04:43PM by Queen of Denial.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 04:39PM

I really think she ought to take a break and let her blood pressure level out.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 11, 2012 12:34AM

I'm sure we could easily do a thread on crazy things/threats we have been subjected to by the lords anointed bishops.

I had a bishop tell me the prophet knows everything I think and do.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 11, 2012 09:07AM

"I had a bishop tell me the prophet knows everything I think and do."

He probably felt that your fear level could use a boost. Just trying to keep you in bondage to the cult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.