Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: doubleb ( )
Date: March 15, 2012 02:36AM

I enjoy the sillier posts on the board, but the core facts should oft be repeated for new posters, lurkers, and trolls. Enjoy.

Before...
- Joseph was an uneducated farmboy
- He was a good kid, but maybe known for wrastling and misbehaving at times
- He had a vision with Moroni, later with God & Jesus
- He wasn't to join any church, needed to restore the true church
- He translated the Book of Mormon
- He organized the church, restored priesthood
- He restored temple ceremony
- He was persecuted heavily for no apparent reason, other than the devil was after him
- He and helpless mormons roamed the midwest settling in Nauvoo
- He was martyred by a random mob whipped up by the devil
- He has done more for mankind save Jesus Christ

After...
- Joseph made money as a kid by ripping off unsuspecting individuals while using a peep stone
- He was into magic and became a good storyteller
- He was convicted in a court of law for fraud associated with digging for gold and using a peep stone
- He told at least three different versions of the first vision (as many as nine versions)
- He joined the Methodist church a year or two after God supposedly told him otherwise
- He was told about a book called "The View of the Hebrews"
- He got an idea for making money, write a book like "The View", claim it was translated from gold plates
- He looked at peepstone in his hat, narrated a fairly meaningless book (no doctrine), copied heavily from the Bible
- He flipped out when Martin Harris' wife destroyed the Book of Lehi
- He didn't re-translate it, just moved on
- He convinced Martin Harris to put up money for the book's printing
- He never showed the purported gold plates to anyone
- He talked a couple of friends into acting as witnesses of seeing the gold plates "with their spiritual eyes"
- He noted no dates for Moroni visits (except magical fall solstice), nor first vision, nor when priesthoods were restored
- He ripped off Masonic rituals for temple ceremonies
- He bought a funeral scroll from an Egyptian antiquities peddler, claimed it to be the Book of Abraham
- He roamed the Midwest to stay ahead of people he owed money to
- He and mormons were hated and thrown out of many towns, never settling in an established city
- He stole the life savings off of many followers in Kirtland claiming god wanted him to start a bank
- He never had a job, sucked from the teet of his flock
- He moved to Missouri and said the Garden of Eden used to be right over there
- He got duped into translating the Kinderhook plates, but downplayed the reveal that it was all a hoax
- He prophesied a lot about the end of the world and second coming, but kept pushing the date back
- He and mormons got kicked out of Missouri because they killed a bunch of people
- He drained the swamp at Nauvoo because it was the only god-forsaken land no one had any claim on
- He sent Porter Rockwell back to Missouri to shoot Gov Boggs as an act of revenge (Rockwell went to court, jail)
- He concocted the polygamy principle so he could schtupp live-in servant and maid Fanny Alger, age 16
- He had Olivery Cowdery excommunicated when he complained about adultery with Fanny Alger
- He figured, "What the hell? No one's gonna stop me," so he also schtupped dozens of other salvation-seeking sisters
- He schtupped Eliza R Snow, author of the beloved hymn "Oh My Father"
- He schtupped the recently orphaned Lawrence sisters, ages 17 and 19, and stole their inheritance
- He schtupped the 14 year old daughter of Heber C Kimball ensuring her eternal salvation (and a good time, wink wink)
- He sent a handful of men on missions so he could schtupp their wives while the men were away
- He claimed to be King of the World and alluded to being a god, maybe even the Holy Ghost in body form
- He established a new earth-based government superseding the US Gov't on whose land he and mormons were living
- He threatened wife Emma that she would be destroyed by God (like Gov Boggs?) if she intervened on the harem thing
- He got up to 33 women on his bed/wife list before he approached the wife of First Presidency member William Law
- He was confused when Law's wife said no and Law told him to back off
- He excommunicated William Law and his wife
- He got pissed when Law printed the Nauvoo Expositor revealing Joseph's sexual transgressions, Law called him a weenie
- He had Law's printing press destroyed by the town marshall and then ran to Nebraska for fear of his life
- He returned to Illinois after his friends convinced him otherwise and went to Carthage Jail for inciting a riot, treason
- He sat in jail, not as a lamb, but armed with a revolver in case Law came after him
- He got shot by some citizens pissed that Joseph had linked church & state and denied Law his freedom of speech
- He died and justice had been accomplished
- He hadn't established any transition plans, so it was a free-for-all on who'd be next prophet
- He got replaced by Brigham Young who loved to schtoop, including Eliza R Snow
- And so it goes

It's amazing how different the sanitized, superficial story is from the more detailed, logical facts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 07:39PM by doubleb.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: March 15, 2012 11:40AM

The sanitized version reflects so much better on the church. It's easy to see why that's the prophet and founder they wanted to present to people.

The decision by leaders to cover it all up is just as objectionable as the story itself.

Posted by: dot ( )
Date: March 15, 2012 12:52PM

"alluded to being a god, maybe even the Holy Ghost in body form"

never heard that - where is that found?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 15, 2012 01:48PM

You LIAR!!!!

You said:

> - He told three different versions of the first vision

The truth is he told NINE different versions:

1832 account

1835 account

1838 account

1840 account (Orson Pratt)

1842 & 43 account

1842 account (Hyde)

1843 account (Richards)

1844 account (Neibaur)

Oh, and I believe it's "schtupped" not "schtooped"

;)

Posted by: doubleb ( )
Date: March 15, 2012 07:40PM

Baura, corrections made. Didn't intend to be a liar or poor speller. Thanks.

Date: March 15, 2012 08:11PM

You're very welcome . . .

and, oh, by the way, great post!

Posted by: geekchick ( )
Date: March 15, 2012 08:10PM

Interesting analysis doubleb!

As I was raised as a "sister" in TSCC, I always felt sinful for making my first $diety the evil pursuit of MONEY, which I make from working outside the home. I paid my own way while I was single, now I pay the bills for the family.

What a wonderful revelation! I know my religious attachment to the pursuit of money is steeped in old tradition and has deep historical roots in my native New England.

okay, I'm just having a bit of fun, but I really am a happy working mom, wife, and ex-mo!

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 15, 2012 10:06PM

I think doubleb deserves a round of applause for this effort. I've always thought that the Joseph Smith story would make a great movie, if it was an accurate portrayal of what really happened. So doubleb has the outline for the script. Come on, Hollywood -- get on with it. The only question is which actor should play Smith? I vote for Nicolas Cage. Any other ideas?

Date: March 15, 2012 10:41PM

Speaking of a Joseph Smith movie, I have always envisioned a 3-night miniseries.

Night one will be two hours will be about his early life and end with him leaving Palmyra for Ohio: Early life, money digging, religious revivals, Moroni/Nephi visit, the gold plates, translating with the rock in the hat etc.

Night two will be two hours about Ohio and Missouri: The "Mormon war" the extermination order, the Kirtland bank, the 1838 apostasy, and end with Joseph and Sidney sneaking out in the middle of the night to high-tail it to Illinois.

Night three will be the three-hour finale, and will be about Nauvoo until he gets killed at Carthage. POLYGAMY! POLYANDRY! Sending men on missions and then putting the moves on their wives. Putting the moves on teenage girls. Running for president, being crowned "King of the World." Being Lieutenant General of the Nauvoo Legion, Masonry leading to the Endowment and the "anointed quorum." Destroying the Expositor press for telling the truth and finally shooting it out at Carthage Jail right after passing a wine bottle around.

I already have a title for it: "Lust for Glory."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 10:42PM by baura.

Date: March 16, 2012 02:05AM

I like it. Let's run it by Nicolas and see what he thinks.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 02:32AM

canadianfriend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only question is
> which actor should play Smith? I vote for Nicolas
> Cage. Any other ideas?

Ohh Nicolas Cage could pull that off. However I do have a bit of a crush on him. I might get a little creeped out if he were to play it well, which he would. I'm not sure I like this idea after all.......

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: March 15, 2012 10:28PM

Schtupped must be a Yiddish word meaning "dated"?

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 02:15AM

It means getting busy......not dating. How boring.

Date: March 16, 2012 02:23AM

Sometimes those words mean the same thing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.