Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: King Benjamin ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 07:27PM

Until this morning I thought the only place to learn about the funding of BYU with tithing money was on the Stake President Blog, with our beloved President Paternoster.

But this morning as I flipped through the channels I came upon a younger more vibrant Elder Nelson on BYU Television (I live in Utah) speaking to BYU students in 1993.

He tells them to honor their time at BYU and to make every effort to do their best because of the "sacred tithing money" used to fund BYU. I think his point was, their school is sacred because it's paid for with tithing money.

I never knew this was EVER discussed publicly. It irks me that I never knew this until AFTER I left the Church. It angers me to know there are at least a few (possibly a few million) faithful, poor and uneducated Mormons funding the University education for the children of their wealthier North American counterparts. Arggggghhhhh!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 07:47PM

and I was one of those who never knew. When I first read that Canada transferred $40 million to BYU in 2009 alone I wanted to scream. I knew a few of the elite kids here will apply for BYU but the great majority will stay in Canadian Universities, some even taking loans because their parents paid tithing before saving for their children's education or because the money went to pay for missions.

You know what's even more disturbing, it's that the Perpetual Education Fund used in the third world countries is given to the youth in those countries after they have gone through a process of cutting down their budgets and it is given as a loan. These kids have to pay the money back with interest. Yes, the money they got for their electrician license or the cosmetology course. Meanwhile, as I undestand it, the children of the GA in Utah get to go to BYU on tithe-payers money.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 07:53PM

This topic makes me crazy.
My step son married a BYU grad. Her family has more money than God.
The first time we met them, they all got up and went to the restroom when the dinner tab arrived. Let us with the bill.

That these people got their 5 kids thru BYU on a discount makes me sick. They like to treat us like we are the white trash of the hills.

What I can't figure out, is, if we're so bad why did they let their precious little darling marry into our family?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.