Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mobegone ( )
Date: March 21, 2012 11:15PM

Yes indeed. But not some petty offense commited against me.

I was offended at the Pharisee-like teaching that works matter more than grace.

I was offended at the cash registars (money changers) in the temple.

I was offended at the billions in business investments when the widows and fatherless in my ward were destitute.

I was offended that wearing a suit was more important than coming as you were.

I was offended that the "prophets" were unwilling to put their lives on the line for the cause of truth like the Bible and even BOM prophets did.

I was offended that a solid unyielding 10% was more important than the heart or the widow's mites.

Yes Barf, I was offended. Offended because the Jesus I love and worship - the one who drove out the money changers, dined with sinners, and fought for the cause of the poor and the "least of these" - was in His life, morals and ministry the polar opposite of what the LDS church was. I considered it so offensive as to be blasphemous that Mormonism would claim itself to be the true church of Christ.

But you go on thinking that someone called me a name, and I took my ball and stormed off.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2012 11:19PM by mobegone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: runningyogi ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 12:10AM

I was offended when I was left outside of the door for the weddings of my Brother, Sisters, and Friends.

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 12:12AM

There are cash registers in the temple??!! Wtf?!!!

Posted by: Greg ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 12:19AM

Yes, and that was one of the things that made me go "hmmmmmmmm..."

Date: March 22, 2012 12:22AM

What are they for??! I swear, I find out something new every day. That's hilarious!! and so wrong!!

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 12:38AM

There are cash registers in the area where you rent clothing like white pants, onepiece garments, and ceremonial clothing. There are also cash registers in the cafeteria.

Date: March 22, 2012 12:45AM

You have to pay to rent clothing? o.O

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 12:48AM

There is a reason for it. The clothing itself costs money to clean.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 12:56AM

Date: March 22, 2012 02:07AM

I'm not advocating it, but to answer your question, from a pure Mormon perspective, tithing is for building up the kingdom, not for providing clothing to people.

I don't know if you were really asking, but my assumption would be that this is the answer.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 09:29AM

in those areas, members are called to provide their own clothing. I believe it was around the time that the Alaska temple was opening that the church encouraged us all to buy our own ceremonial gear at a bargain price, because more of these smaller temple were to be built. As I understood it at the time, in those areas where ceremonial clothing like the one-piece zipup garment and the shield does need to be laundered, members would be called to provide that service for the temple.

Date: March 22, 2012 12:57AM

Weird, I've never actually been through the temple so I don't really know anything about it...I just assumed everyone had their own temple clothing that they brought...but the thought of cash registers being in "the most sacred buildings on earth" just seems weird and wrong. Clearly if TSCC has enough money to fund their mall, they can afford to cover the cost of cleaning.

Date: March 22, 2012 02:07AM

TSCC is a business. If they can cut costs, they will.

Posted by: jessie ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 02:49AM

hahaha my parents worked in the temple and i over heard my mum always telling me dad or some other church person about the thefts and s**t going on

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 09:24AM

You should watch HBO's Big Love or just find the temple scenes on youtube. It's actually a shame you've not been in the temple. It makes calling the church a cult make a lot more sense.

An actual quote from a Mormon kid to non-believer, "What do you mean cult? It's not like we stand in a circle and chant!"

Actually little Mormon who has never been inside...they do.

Posted by: Davey ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 11:44AM

They most definitely do stand in a circle and chant- with their arms high in the air. It's a ceremony called "The True Order of Prayer."

Date: March 22, 2012 12:13AM

I don't think there is any problem with being offended by Mormonism. It grates fairly hard on most people.

Posted by: RationalGuy ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 12:29AM

It offends me because now I'm 61 and have to start all over building my belief system. They hijacked my spiritual life.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 02:41AM

No, rationalguy. Your 61 years old and finally get time to explore the wisdom that's inside you. No one lives to be your age without knowing some things that are true.

It's wonderful that you will have plenty of time now to dig out those gold nuggets. And imagine how great it will be to discover the spiritual part of yourself which has been suppressed all these years.

What they gave you was NOT spirituality, it was a counterfeit.

You have the opportunity to connect with the divine in the privacy of your heart, where this work was always done, free of crossing the palm of any treasure-seeker or conman.

I'm glad you lived to see the day.

Anagrammy

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 01:20AM

"I was offended that wearing a suit was more important than coming as you were."

Out of curiosity I tried going to one of the Mormon sacrament meetings a few years after I left just to indulge my roommates who had invited me, and they wouldn't let me go with them because I was wearing nice jeans and a dress shirt. They were dressed in the typical missionary uniform--like Wall Street business men. It made me see how vain the Mormon culture is.

"I considered it so offensive as to be blasphemous that Mormonism would claim itself to be the true church of Christ. But you go on thinking that someone called me a name, and I took my ball and stormed off."

Two snaps and a circle!

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 09:41AM

In the mountain units of East Tennessee, it is common for the members to wear jeans with their white shirts, or even overalls. In fact, most only owned two pairs of jeans. Their newest pair they would only wear to church. Their older, more worn out pair, was for everyday use. Before stake conference, in Knoxville, we always had to prep the recent move ins from Utah not to say anything stupid about the jeans. A lot would run their idiot mouths anyways.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 01:23AM

Excellent mobegone. WEll said.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 02:20AM

I'm offended that they taught my parents to be child abusers, and supported them in their efforts.

I'm offended that unless I went through the temple I wasn't good enough to go to heaven.

I'm offended that I had to pay $ to go to the temple.

I'm offended that my ward and family shunned me at age 20, when I had the courage to divorce my crazy abusive husband.

I'm offended that mormons viewed me as used goods after that.

I'm offended that they have offended me so much all my life I'm too exhausted to finish the list.

Now I'm offended that they would think I would want anything to do with them. They hijacked my family, my sanity, my spiritual life, my self worth, and that wasn't enough, they tried to drive a wedge between my husband and I.
I'm taking my life back. If they come to my door, I most likely will be offending them.

Posted by: Redwing ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 07:49AM

I was offended when a bishop would not listen to me when he was telling me what to do with my personal life as a married woman with 3 children.

I was offended when I was told 3 times by different 'leaders' not to open my scriptures & quote from them.

I was offended when we asked our ward to fast for our terminally ill teenage son & the request was denied because if they fasted for one person, they would have to fast for everyone.

I was offended that the RS lessons were all about morg presidents & little if anything about Jesus, whom their church is named after.

I was offended to have a temple recommend interview with my husband AND a high councilman present.

I was offended when a bishop got in my face about not paying tithing.

Yes, all these & more helped me to walk away & resign. All these offenses helped me to research, study & leave the cult. The bottom line: I no longer believe in moron doctrine any more than I believe in sasquatch, the Easter Bunny or the fountain of youth.

Posted by: Jeezus ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 08:55AM

Please use the same critical thinking skills that got you out of the morg and apply those in all aspects of your life. Free yourself from all religious delusions. Otherwise you would be a hypocrite. Ironically your bible has something to say about hypocrites...

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 09:40AM

Exactly...every decent person SHOULD BE offended by a "church" full of and run by hypocrites and Pharisees that has clearly APOSTATIZED.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 10:35AM

Ditto to many of the thoughts above. And I was especially pissed off that my husband's HT in the stake presidency came over and purposefully prepared an object lesson for my kids to teach for my benefit. A person does not go into another person's home, whip out a drinking glass and fill it half full with water (all props brought by the holy priesthood holder) and then instruct my children (with typed out paragraphs with each of their names on top)to teach their mother about being pessimistic and needing to look at the bright side of each situation thru different scenarios. After the second child told their FPS, I stood up, got my car keys, and left the house. Came back, chewed my husband a new one for allowing that to happen. After conversing with McCue, no HT has stepped foot in my house and my kids will never set foot in the Mormon church again, and the kids and I resigned. I am Tiptoes, hear me roar!

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 09:40AM

Is very very very offensive! Like honestly who gets off on killing a bunch of little girls then stripping them of ALL clothes?

Posted by: rander70 ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 04:48PM

happycat? What in the world are you talking about??? Did I miss something?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.