Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ambivalentmor ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 12:47PM

Really, how are the lowly church members supposed to know? Will Monson hold up a sign, (like singing time in primary), that has a picture of himself on one side-(for speaking as a man). And a picture of Jesus on the other-(for when hes speaking as a prophet)? I really want to know, this could clear up all my problems with the mormon church!! Can the scripture/standard works be highlighted in red for prophet-el-izing, and green for speaking as a man?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 12:48PM

If the Church never talks about it again and pretends that he never said it, then he was speaking as a man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2012 12:48PM by Makurosu.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 12:49PM

If he said it more then ten years ago, and it contradicts what the current guy is saying...

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 12:52PM

Word!

Posted by: Bryan O'Neil ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 12:57PM

Easy. For example, if Monson said team x would would win the Superbowl and they lost...he was speaking as a man. If team x won...speaking as a prophet.

It's a neat trick old Joe came up with to fool the faithful. Now Bruce R. McDonkey once said that if a prophet says something that is in direct conflict with the scriptures, the scripture prevails. Of course that was HIS opinion, he has been dead 27 years ("we follow the living prophets") and he may have been speaking as a man.

Rule of thumb...if the rest of the sheep follow along, then it is the word o' gawd.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 01:09PM

some things are Reversed in practice without anything being said:

D&C says 'all THINGS' will be done by Common Consent
-we know that isn't done.

Christ said (Bible & BoM) Divorce is only for fornication(adultery)...
-we KNOW that isn't being followed.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 04:55PM

members...Aren't supposed to know the difference!

that way, they'll go along with the cultural aspects as well as 'Doctrine'.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 04:57PM

He can't hold a sign, because they need the ability to make the decision using hindsight.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 05:30PM

I asked that very same question. My TBM family gives me the line that we are supposed to use "the spirit" to determine whether what they say is right. We are all supposed to be able to have personal revelation that lets us know its true.

The problem with that is not everyone gets the same message, so, you pick and choose, and if it doesn't agree with the priesthood, then its wrong, no matter if you feel its right, or have personal revelation that it is.

Just look at the BYU professors that had revelation to print the truth, but were then kicked out cuz it looked bad for the image of the church.

I just assume that they are all stating their opinions unless it is written somewhere stating it is doctrine. And in truth, it is ALL just their opinions, since it is all made up in the first place.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 05:38PM

That's what I asked my husband when he tried that "speaking as a man crap" on me. I asked "if you can't tell the difference between when he is speaking as a man and when he is speaking as a prophet, what good is he?" DH had no answer for that and hasn't tried that line of argument against me since.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.