Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 02:39PM

I was reading from an LDS website setup to answer common questions about mormonism when I came across this gem:

"Do Latter-day Saints believe that they will “get their own planet”?

No. This idea is not taught in Latter-day Saint scripture, nor is it a doctrine of the Church. This misunderstanding stems from speculative comments unreflective of scriptural doctrine. Mormons believe that we are all sons and daughters of God and that all of us have the potential to grow during and after this life to become like our Heavenly Father (see Romans 8:16-17). The Church does not and has never purported to fully understand the specifics of Christ’s statement that “in my Father’s house are many mansions” (John 14:2)."

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/mormonism-101#C14

I'm getting a bit long in the tooth, but I remember very clearly this was a part of every plan of salvation lesson I ever received. Every Sunday school teacher, young mens instructor, seminary teacher, bishop and missionary companion had the same understanding of this issue as I did. The whole point of this life was to stay on the path to godhood and exhaultation which meant you would become God, having millions of spirit children on you own planet.

So this is no longer the case? Wow, that's a big doctrinal shift.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 02:46PM

I remember hearing this in church too, along with other myths and legends that they're now saying they never said.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 02:48PM

Ch- ch- changes. I like how they are backpedaling on everything.

Posted by: eskimogirlfriend ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 02:50PM

How can old-timers in the church reconcile the changes being made with the things they were taught their whole lives?? I'm only 30 and have been out of the church for 10 years and I can't believe how much has changed in this short amount of time. I would be freaked out if I was still in the church and suddenly all of these things that I learned in Sunday School and seminary for years started being denied by the Big Guys. WTH?

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 03:13PM

They just assume "the brethren" are lying for the Lord, to protect the sacred image of God's One True Church. They will see the brethren nudge and wink at them at conference and know all is well in Zion.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 02:57PM

So either they were making doctrine up then, or they are doing it now. Either way that would take them out of the running for the one and only true church. Just one more reason to not be a member.

Posted by: jameswilmons ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 03:19PM

I had an institute director talk about how excited he was to "make out with my wife while we're creating our own planets."

This was definitely a doctrine taught.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 03:26PM

doctrine = teaching.

used to be ChurchCo never liked to think in terms of 'Official' doctrine... I guess that's changing also.

Where/how is any individual going to achieve Godhood or even god-like status WITHOUT their own planet?

Isn't the whole idea to copy-cat Elohim?

maybe not.

the MOST interesting thing about these changes is the slight-of-hand they've developed & now invoke. Amazing that humans don't all Choke.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 03:32PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 04:06AM

just a quick note for ginger - when you backpedal on the truth (what passed for the truth anyway and was taught by the late and not great JS himself) then when you backpedal, you simply run over the truth and run it into tne ground. I think TSCC is running scared now up to a point. If people find out the real truth of the oaths which Mitt has made, they will not want him as pres. because CHURCH is first........having ones guts spilled on the ground is a punishment he argreed to for not keeping his oaths in the temple. He's between a rock and a hard place (probably Kolob). Putting church first is what his temple oath says. Putting country first is what the oath of office of presendent says. Sticky situation. I wish the media would harp on this continually because this is the bottom line coming up as we more forward to Nov.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 05:38AM

This was taught. Totally.

Is it really not taught now?

Or is it not something discussed in front of the media. I am guessing the latter.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 08:42AM

It was doctrine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2012 08:42AM by get her done.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 09:12AM

My planet was going to be so cool. Life forms would have been based on congealed chicken fat rather than carbon, and I was going to allow Satan to save everybody by force. As a god, I'd just sit back, rake it all in, have eternal "sweaty snugglebunnies" with my infinite harem, and let everyone else do the work.

Posted by: Bryan O'Neil ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 09:40AM

This draws a direct parallel with the Party's general philosophy of doublethink..."to forget, whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again". (1984)

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 09:45AM

"We have always been at war with Eastasia"

Posted by: apikoros ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 01:38PM

Cue Hinckley here:

"I don't know that we teach that. I don't know that we emphasize it ... it's more of a couplet than anything."

Soon everyone will have forgotten "their own planet," along with man's potential for Godhood, even though both were DEFINITELY taught to me back in the day.

The whole denial thing would be funny if it weren't so sad. Those of us who do remember it are told we are somewhere out in left field, and don't "really understand Gospel teachings." Yeah, right!

Posted by: brook ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 01:48PM

Look how the Mormon news room release uses bible references to explain how they don't get their own planet. John and Romans were quoted. Why not quote crap from the BoM? More mainstreaming go'in on. Bet they start using the bible more and more. It will be interesting to see them do this at conference.

Some older Mormons must already be noticing that their church is nothing like it was years ago.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 01:49PM

Is that a good thing (less weird) or a bad thing (more insidious)?

Date: March 26, 2012 02:28PM

Quite insidious. Dishonest and manipulative. If they are masquerading as the one true church, then people subscribe and pay accordingly, they're scammers. Deleting embarrassing and asinine elements of church history doesn't make it a more true church.

What do you think?

Date: March 26, 2012 04:33PM

Well, as a BAC, I'd say insidious = worse. Being weird is just weird. Masquerading (more effectively) as the truth is evil. It's a heavier millstone.

Date: March 26, 2012 04:42PM

I like what you said --being weird is just weird. The Mormons and their church have a giant freak flag, they need to wave it!!

Date: March 26, 2012 04:42PM

What's a BAC?

Posted by: applez ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 04:46PM

Born again Christian

Date: March 26, 2012 04:53PM

Oh. Thanks.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 03:43PM

I've always noticed that they use a lot more quotes from the Bible during general conference when "outside" people might be watching than in internal speeches and curriculum. The missionary discussions also work hard to balance scripture use from both sources.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 01:52PM

Besides, Jesus needed the real estate for the mall and so you're going to have to make due with your own continent or your own island nation. Maybe when the economy improves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2012 01:52PM by Makurosu.

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 04:43PM

If all I got was a couple trillion planets I'd still be short quintillions of planets to get what was promised me eternally if I'd be a good Mormon boy. This idea of getting just one planet is absurdly miniscule compared to what I thought I had coming ;)

Date: March 26, 2012 04:56PM

How long ago was that?

Posted by: seutnevermo ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 03:29PM

The lack of a professional, educated clergy is burning them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2012 03:34PM by seutnevermo.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 04:49PM

All you have to do is read the Journal of Discourses to see what was taught as the word of God to the Mormon prophets in the 1800s.

They said it was scripture then, the Mormon church denies this now.

Give us a break.

I feel sorry for the men and women who worked their hearts out and even got pushed into polygamy to support this fraudulent cult.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 08:09PM

says "worlds without number" which would imply to me that I get my own planet. Dammit! I wan't my own planet! Bastards! They lied to me. They also said I'd get a buch of women too. I hope that's not been lied about as well. I can share a planet, but only one wife? That's it I'm leaving. Oh wait, I already left. Oh well. Nevermind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2012 08:09PM by drilldoc.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 08:22PM

Planets not planet.

I think that's what they are going of here. No of course we don't teach you get your own planet, (whisper to the side - it's planets not planet - hah we weaseled out of that one with the PR)

Posted by: Romy ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 09:14PM

I was always taught about getting a planet as well. A sunday school teacher said his planet would have no mosquitos.

Another time in relief society this girl said she was so into science because "that is knowledge we are going to need when we are creating our own world"..I felt a collective cringe with some others in the room who were also probably thinking 'I hope there are no visitors today'

Date: March 26, 2012 10:50PM

I have to admit this part of Mormonism would have really appealed to me in elementary school. You know, if it were just about choosing an afterlife cosmology, and not being concerned with truth.

Did anybody else here make up imaginary planetary ecosystems? I had this whole notebook full of the Morforgians and their weird flora.

(Did 'em with scented markers, too. I can still smell the cinnamon of the trees....)

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 10:26PM

"Choco rations going up. Double plus good, eh Winston?"

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 10:59PM

They want to get Mitt elected and they want to appear more christian. They have to deny, deny, deny. But, they still believe they will get their own planet and that they will be gods.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.