Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Boilermaker ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 11:41AM

Why does BYU seem to do so well in the business area in these rankings? Don't these people take into account the people running the school and their honesty?

http://images.businessweek.com/slideshows/20110227/best-undergraduate-business-schools-2011/slides/12

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 11:48AM

What is an undergrad business school?

Good schools have MBA programs and I doubt if they even offer a business major.

I never met anyone who was a business major at Columbia the six years I was there, though I met plenty of people from the B-School.

I could be wrong, but I think most schools that offer business majors are community colleges and junior colleges.

And YBU's business undergrad program can surely be ranked 11th among the nation's community colleges.

Posted by: Terrestrial Trilobite ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 12:33PM

Top 12 undergrad programs:

Notre Dame, Virginia, MIT, Penn, Cornell, Berkeley,
Emory, Michigan, BC, Texas, BYU, NYU.

At least half of those have top-12 MBA programs as well.

Not exactly community colleges, but we might wonder why BYU's program is so highly regarded. Possibly the members are more honest than the leaders? I find that a lot of members, particularly returned missionaries, want a very structured program where they just have to do the work without thinking very much.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 12:38PM

now I know. I'm guessing you're right about just wanting structure after a couple years in the field. Probably why accounting is so popular.

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 01:03PM

I think the reasons for the success of BYU's business school might be:

1. The school is backed by a shit ton of money.

2. Educated Mormons, very generally speaking, tend to be predominantly business-oriented for a variety of cultural reasons.

3. In my experience, BYU is unusual in that most of BYU's best students are middle-class and lower middle-class "strivers" who are looking to get into what they view as upper middle class (read: higher income, lower risk) fields such as business admin, accounting, law, and dentistry. At many schools, many of the best students are interested in the hard sciences, engineering, art, literature, philosophy, etc.

4. Business and accounting are areas where a school like BYU can attract quality faculty because academic freedom is not a major issue in those fields.

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 12:45PM

1. Notre Dame
2. UVA
3. Emory
4. Penn
5. Cornell
6. Michigan
7. 'Nova
8. UNC
9. MIT
10. Georgetown

Those are some reasonably impressive JC's.

You're right (I think) that some of the nation's very best schools - Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Columbia - do not have dedicated undergraduate "business" programs. On the other hand, some -Penn, MIT - do.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 12:58PM

keeping with Mormon cultural values, Mormon men are highly motivated to succeed in business. They have to make a good income, to pay for that SAHM and gaggle of kids, and are motivated to develop the kinds of leadership skills that they can then dedicate to the church. Also, though I don't think Mormons enjoy any kind of special moral superiority, they are often naive little obedient workers who can be developed into dedicated company-men.

Plus, Mormon men who have Mormon housewives to take care of their personal biz at home can be extra-dedicated to the business world (not having to worry about domestic stuff and all).

Obviously not all Mormon men are paradigmatic examples of the 7 habits of highly effective people (blech), and it's kind of funny that the same culture that sponsors this kind of success in business education also breeds obsessions with get-rich-quick schemes and pyramid marketing.

Posted by: Unconventional Ideas ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 01:28PM

Yes, Mormon culture leads many young people toward business success, and away from pursuits of the mind like languages, natural sciences, mathematics, and literature.

Academically speaking, the best and most intellectually gifted students still find their way to those non-applied fields.

Thing is, perhaps most BYU students and their families see business success as equal or even better than traditional intellectual academic success.

After all, it's primarily about money, right?

Posted by: An_Engineer ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 02:49PM

I believe the accounting program is part of the business school at BYU. Their accounting program is consistently in the top 3 nationally and probably brings the B school as a whole up.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.