Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: March 30, 2012 07:30PM

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/30/7-reasons-catholics-leave-church-in-trenton-1-is-sex-abuse-crisis/?hpt=hp_c3

Among other things the article states that 1 in 10 Americans is an ex-Catholic - I had no idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2012 07:33PM by ronas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: March 30, 2012 08:55PM

LOL they should be in the Mormon church.

Then they'd really have something to bitch about.

Posted by: inahurry ( )
Date: March 30, 2012 09:08PM

I married two men who had both been born and raised Catholic, and then left the Catholic Church (one as a full adult, after a completely parochial school education; one as an adolescent who had always gone to public schools).

In both cases the answer was the same: they both came to their own realizations that everything "factual" they had been taught, and had been raised to "believe," was bullsh*t, and that the Catholic Church was and is only interested in power and money...with little or no interest from the Church in their congregants. (Although the one who went through Catholic schools from first grade through high school was, and is, careful to say that "there are good, individual, Catholics" who serve in official capacities, such as his art instructor in high school, a nun he was very fond of because she encouraged his talent in art...and a priest who has long shared a particular, totally secular, interest with him.)

But basically, for each, the reasons for them leaving are similar or identical to the reasons cited so frequently by exMormons on this board regarding the Mormon Church.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 10:08AM

conclusion early on in the priest scandals.

They wanted an honest, open dialog with the Discese, and higher ups told the peons to take a hike. We don't discuss eclessiastical matters with riffraff.

They lost a lot of tithes in the aftermath.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: March 30, 2012 09:16PM

I left the Catholic Church for two reasons: 1--Mass was boring as hell and 2--I didn't believe in God.

I believe on balance the Catholic Church does more good than bad(and that must be a crapload of good bc the Church does a lot of bad as we all know.)

But what it boiled down to was that I didn't believe and the weekly meetings were so boring and offered nothing substantial in the way of entertainment to compel me to continue to attend them even for the social aspect. So I quit going at 20 and I probably haven't gone to Mass more than 5 times in nearly 30 years.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 04:15AM

My reason for leaving was #7, the church's history of discrimination against women. But I also grew up in a nonconformist era when not going to church became more acceptable. I also agree with CateS that I found Mass to be boring and uninspiring (although I am well aware that many people love it.)

I think that a lot of Catholics' experiences with the church are very dependent on the religious people with whom they come into contact. There are some really relaxed, loving, compassionate priests and nuns, and then there are some that are so narrow, judgmental, mean, and rule-bound that you wonder how they ever found a religious vocation.

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 04:29PM

I was raised catholic in a huge family, in one of the most catholic areas of the country. A fair number of people I know, myself included, obviously, have left the church.

I never really believed in it, and from the time I was 7, I was greatly bothered by the way women are treated and systematically excluded from the power structure.

I think the whole Humanae Vitae debacle was the last straw for people of my generation. Believing the current teaching on birth control requires mental gymnastics very few people can perform without major cognitive dissonance. Most catholics just ignore it and do what they think is right for them, but it does call into question what else the old geezers in Rome are wrong about.

For some of my relatives, the long held teaching about condoms, and how it was better for people to get infected with AIDS, particularly in places like Africa, than use a condom, sickened people so much they left. If you believe in a loving god, this is a tough idea to swallow. Fortunately, the current geezer seems to be lightening up a little in that regard, but he still has the blood of thousands on his head.

I for one, do not believe that the church does more good than harm, quite the opposite.

The shortage of priests is also a factor. The priest that are left seem to get worse and worse. They are more out of touch then ever, and are much more conservative, authoritarian and inflexible than in the past. They also are ancient.

People in many areas feel abandoned by the church, as they make top-down decisions on which parishes and schools to close. People whose parents and grandparents sacrificed to raise money to build churches, and who have been life-long finacial contributors, are now voiceless when some distant bishop decides it's time to shutter their church.

Some progressive catholics are really disgusted with the church's attempt to meddle in politics, by fighting gay rights, the whole contraceptive issue, and spiritual blackmail by threatening excommunication of prochoice politicians who want to represent their constituents instead of legislating the church's agenda.

And the sex abuse scandal, well, let's just say it's helped more people out of the church than anything.

Posted by: sgc ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 09:18PM

I am still Catholic BECAUSE of Humanae Vitae. Because the church doesn't change it's teaching based on what is popular or convenient or politically expedient. It teaches truth. I had my time of doubt. I have used artificial birth control in the past. Regret it. Was convinced by Pope John Paul II's, "Theology of the Body". Wish I had given my two daughters more siblings. My seven brothers and sisters were the BEST gifts my parents ever gave me. We may have fought like cats and dogs from time to time. But we were one anothers best fans and best critics. They are to this day my best friens. (I'm in my sixties.)
Also, Never have I found the Mass boring. I appreciate the timelessness of it. The form of the first part of the Mass is based on the ancient Synagogue service. The second half being the Eucharistic liturgy. Check out Justin Martyrs second century discription of the Sunday liturgy. You'd recognize our Mass. I feel connected to something ancient and yet always new.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2012 09:19PM by sgc.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 09:34PM

But I can tell you that in my case my 3 sisters and 1 brother were some of the worst presents my crappy parents gave me. And we aren't best friends today. Actually, I speak to none of them and most of them don't speak to each other. Further, the message from the CC was that my parent's should stay in their crappy marriage that was making everyone in the family miserable for "the good of the children." All we learned in that family was "kill or be killed." No "fans" and "critics." Just 6 kids who were out for blood because if you were dishing it out you weren't taking it. Talk about backfiring.

And the Mass. So FREAKING boring. Kneel, stand, sit, kneel, sit, kneel, stand...on and on. Stupid, boring responses to 80% of the Mass and only the homily was of any interest whatsoever and it was NEVER directed at children.

Couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Date: March 31, 2012 09:40PM

So sorry it didn't work for you. Nobody made you stay did they? So be happy.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 09:37PM

If you like all that I'm sure you would LOVE the mormon church.

Date: March 31, 2012 09:41PM

Nope!

Posted by: angelina5 ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 09:41PM

sgc,can I comtact you? I was Catholic prior to joining the Church and I have found myself to be attracted to it again. I do have a few questions, if you don't mind! Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2012 09:42PM by angelina5.

Date: March 31, 2012 11:33PM

Sure, my e-mail adress is lon.barb@skywireusa.com

Posted by: laluna ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 11:02PM

I agree with you. I love the mass as well. Never find it boring. Also a big fan of Theology of the Body.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 11:08PM

I love the mass and find the Morg to be deathly boring. However, I do not like the CC position on birth control or homosexuality.

Date: March 31, 2012 11:38PM

No doubt about it, it's difficult.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 09:01AM

You can plan all you want to but sometimes the outcome is different from what you hoped. My mom came from a large Catholic family. She was close to some of her siblings but not others.

I think it's fine that the Catholic church works for you. I don't regret growing up Catholic. The church gives good moral training and tends to produce people who have a deep spirituality. Unlike the Mormon church, it's easy to walk away from, and shunning is relatively unknown.

Posted by: Dufreyne ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 10:11PM

I admire the Catholic church for it's ability to grow, progress and change as the times change. Yes it has a lot of traditional rituals and if that doesn't attract you then feel free to exit. Despite the fact that it is a behemoth, it has morphed and changed. It now has mass in English, it has a homily that is interesting and applicable, it has, finally, addressed the sex-abuse issue and it attempts to be a cultural and community support to members (and nonmembers) in need. I know it's not politically correct, and I realize that every atheist this side of the Prime Meridian will criticize this opinion, but I think they do a lot of good nowadays. Between Catholic schools, homeless shelters, women's homes and hospital chaplains--they do a lot of good. Before you criticize, please detail your specific, individual volunteer service on one of these fronts. I hope they continue to evolve and become even better and better...

D

Date: March 31, 2012 11:37PM

Oh my! I've always been a little afraid to comment on this board bcause I'm afraid of being dumped on. Didn't know there were kindred spirits out there.

Posted by: angelina5 ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 11:47PM

I have only started to discover that the Mormon church isn't the true Church of God a few months ago. But as I have attended a few other Churches/ non-denominational establishments, I have felt that the Catholic church has been the most helpful in focusing on Christ. I still have a strong belief in God and Jesus
-Christ. I know that the Catholic Church isn't perfect. I do also love the traditions that accompany it. And the fact that it is almost as old as Christianity. Just my personal experience :))

Posted by: Boilermake ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 08:50AM

I became Catholic and resigned the LDS Church several years ago. The Catholic Church isn't perfect because humans are sinners, but for the most part I am happy with my choice. Good luck on your journey.

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 09:32AM

Detail my service on one of these fronts? OK, I volunteer with the regional food bank, along with my family on a regular basis, and we contribute finacially to this food bank. For many years, dh and I delivered food to low income, disabled folks, in some pretty scary neighborhoods. I've been a volunteer for Literacy Volunteers of America, meeting with a person who needs help learning to read at least weekly, often more. We also volunteer weekly with an animal rescue. We do builds for Habitat for Humanity.

I'm an atheist.

I would agree with a pp that growing up in a huge family sucked. My siblings were not some wonderful "gift." My parents were stressed out and there was never enough attention and even though my dad made a good living, money was very tight. We aren't particularly close now.

Oh, and the siblings who stayed catholic? None of them do any volunteering at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2012 10:45AM by excatholic.

Posted by: Veritas ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 09:07AM

Expecting perfection in any church made up of humans is unrealistic. Even Jesus had a bad apple (Judas) in his close- in group of disciples.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.