Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: angelina5 ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 05:31PM

Am I Not reading this correctly???

Brigham Young, April 7, 1861

THE GIFTS OF GOD—HOME MANUFACTURES—
WORD OF WISDOM—HAPPINESS

Remarks by President BRIGHAM YOUNG, made in the Tabernacle,
Great Salt Lake City, April 7, 1861.

You know that we all profess to believe the "Word of Wisdom." There has been a great deal said about it, more in former than in latter years. We, as Latter-day Saints, care but little about tobacco; but, as "Mormons," we use a vast quantity of it. As Saints, we use but little; as "Mormons," we use a great deal. How much do you suppose goes annually from this Territory, and has for ten or twelve years past, in gold and silver, to supply the people with tobacco? I will say $60,000. Brother William H. Hooper, our Delegate in Congress, came here in 1849, and during about eight years he was selling goods his sales for tobacco alone amounted to over $28,000 a year. At the same time there were other stores that sold their share and drew their share of the money expended yearly, besides what has been brought in by the keg and by the half keg. The traders and passing emigration have sold tons of tobacco, besides what is sold here regularly. I say that $60,000 annually is the smallest figure I can estimate the sales at. Tobacco can be raised here as well as it can be raised in any other place. It wants attention and care. If we use it, let us raise it here. I recommend for some man to go to raising tobacco. One man who came here last fall, is going to do so; and if he is diligent, he will raise quite a quantity. I want to see some man go to and make a business of raising tobacco and stop sending money out the Territory for that article.

Some of the brethren are very strenuous upon the "Word of Wisdom," and would like to have me preach upon it, and urge it upon the brethren, and make it a test of fellowship. I do not think that I shall do so. I have never done so. We annually expend only $60,000 to break the "Word of Wisdom" and we can save the money and still break it, if we will break it. Some would ask brother Brigham whether he keeps the "Word of Wisdom." No: and I can say still further, as I told one of the teachers in Nauvoo, I come as near doing so as any man in this generation. It is not using tobacco that particularly breaks the "Word of Wisdom" nor is that the only bad practice it corrects; but it is profitable in every path of life. If our young persons were manly enough to govern their appetites a little, they would not contract these bad habits; but they must have some weaknesses; they must not be perfect and exactly right in everything. It is a loathsome practice to use tobacco in any way. A doctor told an old lady in New York, when she insisted upon his telling her whether snuff would injure her brain, "It will not hurt the brain: there is no fear of snuff's hurting the brain of anyone, for no person that has brains will take snuff." I will say that the most filthy way of using tobacco is to smoke it. "What is the neat way? If you are going to direct any course for the people to use tobacco, let us know what it is. Cannot you who have used it for years point out a neat, modest, judicious way of using it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 05:45PM

The Old Boss diverted some of the rescuers to retrieve a steam engine that had been cached in Wyoming along with a large load of "groceries."

Those "groceries" consisted of a large shipment of liquor...

Per Will Bagley at a presentation I attended a few months ago...

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 05:52PM

Mormons didn't take the WoW seriously until the 20th Century. It really pisses me off that Mormons today consider my drinking coffee and the occasional beer as close to fornication and adultary, in the sin league, yet they worship "Prophets" who didn't just drink alcohol, but brewed it and traded it!

There really is no answer to that.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 05:58PM

Was it 1924 or 1926 that the word of wisdom starting being enforced?

It was primarily in response to prohibition...

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 07:15PM

a) the church voted (er, 'sustained') the change from 'recommendation' to "Commandment". Sustaining PEOPLE in the church is customary, being allowed to vote-'sustain' THINGS (procedures, policies, etc) Isn't.

b) in the mid 70's the FP sent around a ltr to be read in SM; it said 'essentially' that de-caf coffee was allowed.

But this brings up Another Issue:
Why don't they post (all) those letters on the web?
Do they only apply to the people who were in SM when read? Giant WTF!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 07:15PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.