Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kolobite ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 12:14AM

On kutv 2 news in salt lake city, the anchorman just stated that conference was watched by 600,000 on tv and 200,000 on the internet. OMG. Shouldn't at least 5 million "active" members be watching the drivel?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ktay ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 12:20AM

I know plenty of TBMs who are too lazy to watch it and just read the important stuff in the ensign later. BUT it does sound like numbers are lowering which makes me happy!!

Posted by: Isthisnameok? ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 01:09AM

I was laughing about this prior to the weekend, ALL of my wife's "TBM" relatives and siblings BAILED this weekend far away from Utah or anywhere in the corridor, including my former Bishop FIL. And it's what they do EVERY CONFERENCE WEEKEND! They don't want to hear the BS, they show up to church because they are expected to and need to keep up appearances, but when they get the chance to slip away un-noticed, they do exactly that. Its LOL funny.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 01:41AM

and watch it later (like when they have insomnia). Actually, I noticed many mormons who use it as an excuse to spend a weekend doing something fun and away from the church.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 01:45AM

Saturday afternoon a guy from the stake high council stopped by during afternoon session to return some tools he borrowed from my husband. Not watching conference. Last fall, drove by Bishop Jackwagon's house Saturday a.m. on my way to a friend's house and he was out front mowing his lawn - not watching conference/no visible ear buds on. My LDS guitar teacher always has lessons all day Saturday, even if it's conference weekend. And I've lost all track of how many friend's have admitted they slept through Sunday afternoon session. I do know a lot of guys who go to priesthood though - usually so they can all meet up for dinner afterward and a guy's night out.

I think unless you are rabid TBM, Sunday morning session is the only one people really feel they need to watch.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 02:00AM

800,000 viewers, and that includes me (internet). So .o1% of the world is watching. One hundreth of one percent. And many of us are kidding. Rough grain rolling.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 05:01AM

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 05:02AM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 07:57AM

I think the vast majority of members see it as a weekend off.

I think that tells you all you need to know about the substance of the talks.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 08:10AM

Stake and General Conference meant we finally had time to do something like a picnic in the mountains or a scenic drive, a late and big breakfast.

Posted by: stuntman ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 09:10AM

That statistic is reported at the end of this video: http://kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_906.shtml

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 09:12AM

Okay, I haven't watched conference in many years, but why should I bother since nothing has really changed? They repeat the same nonsense year after year.

No wonder people tune out. We treated GC as a "vacation from church". My mom hated that phrase, but GC and SC were weekends when we didn't have to go to church.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 09:51AM

Nobody can see in your living room whether you are watching conference or sports.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 10:23AM

800,000 viewers.... how many people watch the Superbowl? --well over 100 million. Shouldn't the true church of Jesus do at least as well as a football game? With over two billion Christians in the world, 800,000 sounds like a fringe group to me.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 10:50AM

My parants have never gone to confrence exept to sing in the smaller ones or conduct the quior but the big ones for evdryone that get televised we never go to and never will I think.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 11:37AM

And if you accept 100,000 live attendees in a 23,000 seat conference centre, you may want to divide the other numbers by 4 as well.

That would mean that any given session was listened to by 222,500 members. Impressive...NOT.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 11:42AM

Actually I think they are referring to attendee's across all sessions of conference. So 100,000 divided by the number of sessions. I would then gues you would have to do that with the other numbers quoted, divide them by the number of sessions.

In reality, hardly anybody watched.

Hey SCMC, nobody's listening to the leaders anymore - report that!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 11:54AM

I had to watch it once when I was 10. forty eight years later they are saying the same things. They recycle their talks, quote each other back and forth. If you've heard it once, it's enough.

It's not like they're going be all prophetic or any thing like unto it.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 08:11PM

Maybe that's why we get a non-chalant "that's not doctrine" answer about various issues from members. They have no idea what the brethren teach, because they don't watch General Conference.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.