Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 04:13PM

close.

but I'm still good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dk ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 04:17PM

Hand them anything from the church leadership and ask which parts are just opinion?

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 04:17PM

Yeah. Where is the list? Surely after 180 years of LDS "scholars" working over this article of faith doctrine that these errors in translation would have been solidly identified by now.

What? Nobody?

How bout any of you mormons on "Mormon Scholars Testify?

FAIR, FARMS, MADB?

Still nothing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 04:18PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 04:22PM

"I don't know, but I know the church is true."

That's the answer I usually get when something like this comes up. I then ask them specifically how they "know the church is true" so that we can look at their reasons analytically, and that's when they stop talking to me - sometimes for a very long time.

Better relations can be had by not pointing out these things in the first place, I've learned.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 08:48PM

Here is another fun Family Home Evening activity:

Open the KJV at the beatitudes - Matthew Chapters 5 & 6.

Compare with 3Nephi Chapters 12 and 13. Ask why they are the same - with the exception of the odd insertion addressed to the Nephites like "Remember the words which I have spoken."

Your TBM family will tell you that Jesus gave the same message to the Nephites when he visited America.

You: "So that part of the KJV must be translated correctly then - we have independent corroboration from the Book of Mormon?' - get their agreement on this. Either they are independently true or Joseph Smith plagiarised the Bible.

Now point out the excerpts from the Joseph Smith Translation, which should be in the notes of your Mormon published KJV, or online here:
http://www.centerplace.org/hs/iv/iv-mat.htm
or the LDS site, which cuts and pastes to reduce comparisons of the whole text here:
http://www.lds.org/scriptures/jst/jst-matt/6?lang=eng

AFTER he wrote the Book of Mormon, JS re-translated the KJV and changed significant portions of it that he had already inserted as large chunks into the Book of Mormon.

So if the Book of Mormon was an independent record of Jesus actual sermon, we would expect it to mirror the JST, NOT the KJV.

There are numerous similar errors throughout, where JS quotes the KJV, in the BoM (the most correct book on earth), then goes back and corrects the KJV in his later bible translation.

This is guaranteed to result in stammering and confusion, as the implication sinks in.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.