Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 12:38AM

We all know that Mormons are just about in an orgasm over one of their own apparently becoming the next Republican presidential nominee. However, it is clearly a two-edged sword as Romney's beliefs are being held up to the spotlight in all their glory and weirdness.

Tonight on MSNBC, Lawrence O'Donnell did a piece on blacks in regard to the LDS church. I didn't catch all of it, and hopefully it will be online before too long. O'Donnell said that he asked someone from the Romney campaign to clarify the past teachings of the church, specifically from Brigham Young, regarding African-Americans. He said in the report he asked about the fact that Young said any white person who had sex with a black person would be stricken dead on the spot.

The Romney camp didn't answer directly, but referred him to the mormon.org website and this quote: "The Church unequivocally condemns racism, including any and all past racism by individuals both inside and outside the Church. In 2006, then Church president Gordon B. Hinckley declared that 'no man who makes disparaging remarks concerning those of another race can consider himself a true disciple of Christ. Nor can he consider himself to be in harmony with the teachings of the Church.'"

So the church is basically saying that the church condemns Brigham Young's teachings, and that he was not a true disciple of Christ.

This is only the beginning. Due to Mr. Romney, more and more wacky Mormon teachings are coming to light, and not in a good way.

Personally, I love it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 01:50AM

I bet Emma would be happy to see this day when the church is condemning the teachings of Brigham young.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 01:54AM

I love it too Debbie. I wonder how the BYU folks feel about all this....them saying in essensce that BY was not a disciple of Christ. They will do anything NOW to be looked at in a better light. Before, they didn't care. This is all about Romney. I hope it all comes out NOW...not after late summer, but NOW.

Posted by: truthsleuth ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:12AM

Perhaps the prudent thing to do is change the name of BYU to MRU Mitt Romney University (assuming he wins). I'm sure Thomas S. Monson would not object to changing it to TMU. I love it--Brigham Young--not a true disciple of Christ!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 02:12AM by truthsleuth.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:25AM

Mitt Romney: Mr. Anti-Dogma, Anti-Orthodoxy

the only question could be:

Which members, which GAs are in favor (not withstanding his candidacy), which are resisting/resenting it.

for Example: BKKKPacker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 02:27AM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:32AM

guynoirprivateeye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mitt Romney: Mr. Anti-Dogma, Anti-Orthodoxy
>
> the only question could be:
>
> Which members, which GAs are in favor (not
> withstanding his candidacy), which are
> resisting/resenting it.
>
> for Example: BKKKPacker

Little did they imagine that the hoped-for "One Mighty
and Strong" would be a guy who carried dogs atop his cars
and who set in motion ugly condemnations of Brother Brigham.

Methinks it is time to call Elder Romney and Wife to the
office of Service Missionaries in northern Greenland.

UD

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:30AM

I can only hope people do google mormonism and see the facts and opinions about the church. There are plenty of dark places that lights need to shine.

The church gave blacks the priesthood hood in 1978. I'm 50 and 1978 isn't "ancient" history.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 05:05AM

I heard Romney say once that the day the Blacks got the Priesthood was so moving for him that he had to pull his car over to the side of the road and he cried. Maybe he was thinking, "okay, perhaps I can NOW become President one day."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:38AM

etch-a-sketch

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 03:12AM

Heh. The Church of Jesus Christ of Etch-a-Sketch Saints.

Posted by: What Me Worry? ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 07:55AM

Speaking of nasty racism, who has seen the Delbert Stapley letter to George Romney? (anyone have a link?) It is scary.

Posted by: Boilermaker ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 09:21AM

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 09:26AM

it's just highly frowned upon in Mormon society.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 09:44AM

Or is it that the brethren don't consider skin color being a sign of righteousness to be a racist idea?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.