Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 02:40PM

...and now they will use it to show how liberal they really are.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 02:47PM

I'm surprised they haven't talked more about Joseph Smith's and Brigham Young's encouragement to intermarry with the Indians.

Smith never got his followers to do it. Young got some of his men to marry Indian women, but the process came to an end when some of the Indian men suggested that they should be able to marry Mormon women.

Posted by: mothermayeye ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 05:13PM

Yet just another doctrine change... just how many years ago was that completely forbidden. It makes me sick how they just go with the flow and justify by saying, "we've received a new revelation." That must be because they got wrong revelation the first time. If its from the God they believe in, it wouldn't ever change! Imo

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 09:40PM

What about his actual wife? And their actual descendants?

And Sally Hemmings and her descendants. As much as they may want to romanticize this "relationship," the man was screwing his SLAVE! She had NO CHOICE in the matter. For all we know, it could have been RAPE every single time and the MORmON response is to SEAL them?

It's despicible.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 12:43AM

Fawn Brodie, author of "No Man Knows My History" (the best JS bio so far IMO), was excommunicated for writing it. She also wrote a bio of Thomas Jefferson in which she points to considerable circumstantial evidence that TJ fathered the children of Sally Hemings. She received considerable flack from critics at the time who did not like black marks upon the near sacred status of TJ as one of the founding fathers. Later DNA testing of Hemings descendants has continued to support this theory although it hasn't been conclusive since it could have been another Jefferson-related male like an uncle that that fathered the children.

Anyway it's ironic that she gets ex'd for her JS bio, but gets fully supported in her some what controversial and conjectured TJ theory. You would think they would dismiss out of hand any controversial theories she had.

A question: what is the morg doing marrying people who were never legally married? Although JF likely fathered her children, no one is saying that they ever married.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2012 12:46AM by mrtranquility.

Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 09:25PM

i am white and my husband is latino. mormons do not support inter-racial marriage. but whats sad is my beautiful babies are the ones who suffer here in good old utah
i should also point out i married the enemy (a catholic) who is also the best husband a girl could ever have.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 09:47AM

That's really sad that your kids have to deal with that. Any possibility of you moving out of Utah?
That kind of bigotry and intolerance makes me sick.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 10:07AM

Aaronic Priesthood teaching manual...

"We recommend that people marry those who are of the same racial background generally."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.