Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 03:53AM

I've heard folks say that the Presiding Bishop really holds the purse strings of LDS, Inc.

Looks like the whole Big 3 in the Bishopric got released and replaced. (as per southern utah inactive's link http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765564839/LDS-Church-announces-changes-to-presiding-bishopric-Relief-Society-presidency-First-Quorum-of-the.html )

Will it mean anything, or is the new batch just like the old, or are they all just figureheads for some behind the scenes Board of Director types.

Just curious. It seems big. When was the last time all 3 changed at once? And wasn't Burton in there for a long time?
(As per wikipedia, Burton and Edgley have been in since '92. And the last time all 3 got replaced was 1985 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presiding_Bishop_(LDS_Church) )

& who really runs the business? Seems that for a $30 billion portfolio that they'd have a standard board of directors -- 15 - 20 people who all manage the outfit, do their own thing, report back to each other, etc. Who are these folks?

Curious as to any comments,
RG

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: marisa ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 04:43AM

I know little about the church position of Presiding Bishop. Is it a job that requires actual cognition, so the job-holder is typically replaced when he gets too old, as opposed to the prophet having to die or the quorum of the 12 usually staying in their positions unless they pull a Paul H. Dunn?

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 05:09AM

I've never had a clue what the presiding bishopric actually do. My guess is not a lot or I would more than likely know about it.

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 06:31AM

Yeah, the Presiding Bishop handles the $. Now that the City Creek Mall project is over, they can replace him. Difficult to do that prior to contract completion...

Posted by: eskimogirlfriend ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 06:39AM

I had never even heard of the presiding bishopric until today. Weird.

And why is someone with the title of "bishop" handling money? Also weird.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 08:45AM

I see it just like any other corporation, only they use different titles.

Prophet = CEO
Presiding Bishop = CFO

etc

Posted by: spencerljensen ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 03:46PM

That makes it easier to have always been at war with EastAsia.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 04:13PM

the curtain. He's probably the only one who knows what is really going on in any detail. The top 15 are more like a sleepy board of directors, and he's the CEO of LDS, Inc.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 04:19PM

the presiding bishop deals with the "temporal" matters, so money and only money - could that be right?

I dont think he deals with anything spiritual or religious - just the business end of the mormon church.

To replace all 3 in one fell swoop said something to me. I think that Burton was a little too loosie goosie with the purse.

Posted by: captainmoroni ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 04:24PM

Pretty clear that he got fired after that.

Posted by: jameswilmons ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 06:31PM

I can only imagine what the "stipend" was for the presiding Bishop.

Posted by: onlyme ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 09:17PM

My wife knows one of the guys called to the new presiding bishopric. Befor this he worked for the church in real estate procurement and was involved in new temple construction work in some way, he met with the civil engineers involved with the Gilbert, Az temple.

Posted by: A Watcher ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 09:41PM

I think they're wiping the slate of all those "in the know". There may have been some criticism of the "Brethren", and they want fresh blood who are obedient and non-resistant.

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 10:26PM

Maybe they didnt bring in enough money?

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 11:29PM

Over the last years, two PB's made apostle - Eyring & Hales. I bet Buron is a bit disappointed. Hinckley comes up with the mall, Burton takes the fall...

Posted by: dwindler ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 06:47AM

I thought Burton had his sight set on advancement into the Q12.
This must be a real disappointment for him.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 07:55AM

This is a damage limitation move.

Any Church financial difficulty caused by City Creek or any financial failure by City Creek can now be blamed on people who aren't in office.

Posted by: Can't Resist ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 08:03AM

No way. They love the mall. They don't account or apologize to anyone and they don't give a rats ass what the public, Mormon or not, thinks.

Burtons is trusted and knows EVERYTHING about the money and kept the specifics vague with intense pressure. No, he's got a promotion to the 15 coming. That's my October conference prediction.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 12:25PM

Can't Resist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No way. They love the mall. They don't account
> or apologize to anyone and they don't give a rats
> ass what the public, Mormon or not, thinks.
>
> Burtons is trusted and knows EVERYTHING about the
> money and kept the specifics vague with intense
> pressure. No, he's got a promotion to the 15
> coming. That's my October conference prediction.

So, who's going to vacate his seat, then?

Posted by: buckhntr ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 03:05PM

There has to be an opening in the 12 for someone to be appointed to it. I would guess he has a good shot to replace the next one who kicks it or someone steps down (though that never happens).

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 03:26PM

Maybe someone BKK? has a terminal illness that we aren't privy to.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.