Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 03:33PM

If you missed my last thread, my mom has been posting on Facebook various talks by GA's and other church leaders about the importance of not taking offense and not letting others offend you. So I linked her to John Dehlin's study, showing only about 1 in 100 people leave Mormonism because they were offended. Two days later, I get a 5 paragraph rant about my link, which she obviously didn't bother to look at. Gems from this rant included: "Did I say anything about people leaving the church? I don't care if people leave the church or stay in the church or why they choose to do either one!" And she said "I get tired of people asking if they offended me."

Using the sort of rank stupidity that caused me to join the church in the first place, I decided to answer her instead of ignoring it. I told her when people ask if they have offended her she should say "Oh don't be silly - you aren't important enough to offend me." And pointed out it was OK to be offended sometimes, like by my now-retired Dad's increasingly crabby moods and rude comments. That she didn't have to just sit down and take it and she didn't have to turn the other cheek. She had a right to be mad about my Dad speedy descent into crabby old man. If I hit the nail right on the head about her posts being more about trying to convince herself to turn the other cheek, than about lecturing her inactive friends and daughter about not being offended, I'll be OK but otherwise, she is really going to have her knickers in a twist. Because Mormons can lecture you on not being offended and if you don't take it like you are supposed to, you'll offend them.

Irony.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 06:38PM

Sometimes living with a Living Mormon Martyr can cause this...

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 06:43PM

Honestly, I think it's a medical condition. He's always been picky but nice, however since his health declined, he's a real bear. This would be understandable, but he's being kinda mean to my mom, which is hard to watch. A very close friend of mine is a geriatric nurse and she thinks it might be a UTI, believe it or not. She says when people have a sudden change of personality toward mean-spiritedness, that is the first thing they test for at her facility. I never heard of such a thing but other nurses have since confirmed that might be the case. Dad won't go be tested though.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 07:34PM

CA girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Honestly, I think it's a medical condition. He's
> always been picky but nice, however since his
> health declined, he's a real bear. This would be
> understandable, but he's being kinda mean to my
> mom, which is hard to watch. A very close friend
> of mine is a geriatric nurse and she thinks it
> might be a UTI, believe it or not. She says when
> people have a sudden change of personality toward
> mean-spiritedness, that is the first thing they
> test for at her facility. I never heard of such a
> thing but other nurses have since confirmed that
> might be the case. Dad won't go be tested though.

Oh, yes, they can do that.

Also, it might be TIAs.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 07:55PM

...the way it works for women? It might be worth a try.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 08:18PM

The main thing is to get the pure cranberry juice, not the cocktail stuff. I've read that pure blueberry juice might do the same thing for UTI's.

I suffered with UTI's for every month for a little over a year in my late teens/early 20s. It is some of the worst pain in the world.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 07:39PM

crazy as it sounds. I type these up a lot. It happened to both my dad and my mom. They have a change in mental status when they have a UTI.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.