Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exmo-n-provo ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 11:27AM

Curious how many exmormons and/or doubting mormons in the provo or utah county area? We live in provo and have had our names removed and know some others from our Christian church we attend now but my question or point is I keep hearing utah county is like 88% mormon and I don't believe it. Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Utah County Mom ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 11:35AM

I believe that statistic is probably accurate. Utah County is the cultural and population center of the LDS church.

Consider this though--of that 88 percent who are LDS, who many do you think are active in the church?

Here's a very small sampling: there are 8 homes in my cul-de-sac in Provo. Of those, only ONE family is completely active. The rest are either non-members, ex-mos or families with one inactive spouse. I have to wonder how typical that may be.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 11:53AM

I'm in Utah county, and while I don't know how accurate the 88% is, I think the number of ex-mormons is growing. Also, there may be people who report themselves as Mormon even though they don't believe it - BYU students, for example, or Church employees.

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 12:29PM

I live in Orem, work in Lindon, and while you can feel the mormon influence it's definitely not everybody. I get along better with the non-mos anyway. I really doubt the 88% number as well; of my 5 neighbors I think 2 are active.

Hooray for liberalizing Utah county!

Posted by: esther ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 12:45PM

I live in Lehi and on my street there are 27 occupied homes. 4 of them are either inactives, non-mos or exmos (including mine). 23 out of 27 are active members. Two out of those 23 are some times not at church, but for the most part they are. I'm not going to do the math, but I'm sure that 88% applies to my neighborhood, unfortunately.

Posted by: m ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 01:06PM

In my area ( heavy morgdom) about 16 homes of members and out of those 10 are active and several of those fight severe depression.
The rest are out , Nom or non believers

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.