Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: serena ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 02:50PM

This is bound to be interesting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 02:55PM

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 03:00PM

GAME ON......

Going to be real interesting to see what has been discussed here for years to be in the mainstream media.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 10:36PM

Yep, game on....Obama won't do it, but his cohorts will. It shall be interesting. I actually will support Obama on this. Amazing I just said that.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 03:01PM

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 03:26PM

I really think that without any doubt Obama will win again. This country is not ready for a Mormon president. I can't really say I'd want one, either!

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 03:49PM

It's very odd, but more, perhaps what being so immersed in this religion has done to him and made him. Personality (and lack of!) seems to be a major component of getting elected, and there seems to be a very large "something" lacking in Mitt. He leaves a lot of people with a very cold impression, a distance, detachment, indeed, detachment from reality. That is a very bad thing in someone who aspires to such a high office, and would then have such influence. Mitt appears to just not get it. He often displays remarkably poor judgment, and that is very bad, scary in fact. Not just that at his age and level of education, he still appears to believe and does support and defend a religion that has such demonstrably crazy, implausible beliefs and history, and has given so much of his time, money and energy to it. That's more than enough to raise quite a few eyebrows.

I would feel much more comfortable to have elected representatives, acting (supposedly!) on my behalf, who make decisions based on fact and reason, and not emotions, gut feelings and altruism. We've had that before, and it wasn't good!

His Mormonism is not going to help him, except with the diehard TBMs who are come hell or high water, what are called yellow dogs of a certain kind.

Trying to keep this not purely political.

Posted by: archaeologymatters ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 04:05PM

I'm not a Republican or a Democrat, but Obama likely wins again. The mormon church will get some degree of exposure with it being the first time a mormon has got one of the two major parties nominee. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 04:11PM

I really think that when the press senses a story, especially during a slow news cycle, they will pounce on Mormonism. I'm deeply disappointed by the unprofessional nature of some journalists who automatically jump to showing respect for religion, rather than keeping objective about all aspects of Romney's life. But other than them, I think it's going to be interesting. It's what I hoped for, coming true exactly as I thought it would (although the emphasis on dead-dunking as the big problem surprised me). I just hope it keeps going like I think it will. Fingers crossed.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 04:27PM

then you shouldn't start the fire in the first place.

Mitt's mormon supporters want to make religion an issue this election? Fine. But they don't have an inkling of what that will actually mean for them...

Posted by: acerbicone ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 04:42PM

will see Mitt's inability to garner broad support as some type of anti-mormonism. Unfortunately they won't recogize the smarmy, condescending vibes he gives off because they are attuned to LDS people of influence being like that. He has shown so many times that he is not used to having his authority or his positions questioned, and he angers so quickly.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 04:50PM

I think we will all be a bit disappointed. The "scrutiny" of Mormonism has probably occurred...in the republican primaries. Obama has no personal interest in bringing out any negatives of his religion, there is more than enough ammunition on so many other issues/aspects of Mitt Romney's lifestyle/policies/attitudes.

And the press has really had enough of it. They don't want to look bad, they'll leave it alone.

The only people who will bring it up are uber religious people and us. It will only get a marginal side billing, IMHO.

I personally think there are some relevant and legitimate questions to be asked and considered by the voting public about Mormonism and Mitt, but the smoke is clearing and other issues will get the attention of the news media and public.

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 05:25PM

According to a poll quoted on MSNBC Obama has 30-40% lead over Romney in "like-ability." He is also ahead on forgien matters, womens rights and healthcare. Romney is ahead on economy and one other thing that I can't remember.

The commentators said that the Like-ability factor will be more important than anything else due to the wide margin. Then there was a big discussion on how to make Romney more "like-able." No one hade and great ideas...

Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 05:43PM

Obama will win by at least 2%-3%, yea, even 12% in some states.

I heard a mormon caller on Dennis Prager today talk about how they believe we are born in a pre-existence paradise, and come to earth to prove our worthiness, and he was suitably impressed. I really want to call during the campaign and bring up the BoM DNA, BoA, "hanging by a thread" & other fun facts...

Date: April 10, 2012 05:51PM

He's one of the biggest fucking lying hypocrites on the planet!

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 05:44PM

Mormon scrutiny will be huge. It's a long time until the election. Slow news days will be filled. It's too juicy and too crazy to ignore.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 05:45PM

Date: April 10, 2012 05:52PM

That one was a giant <facepalm>.

Wish I had thought of it.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 05:58PM

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 10:16PM

I'm not sure Santorum had the "evenagelical" vote in the sense that evangelicals saw him as their man. If he had it at all it was because he was a preferable alternative to Romney. Now they are faced with a real dilemma...either vote for Romney as the conservative standard bearer or not vote at all. If enough choose not to vote their number could be decisive in some states.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 10:38PM

You are right kentish....I am that person. I may not vote, but probably will.... but NOT for Romney. Never.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 10:38PM

"I'm not an authentic human being, but I play one on TV."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.