Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: April 14, 2012 11:10AM

From the closed thread..

Seems like people have been missing these scenes in art from the likes of Norman Rockwell, since Kincade did so well selling these paintings and art pieces to the masses....

=====================================================
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 12:14PM

Re: I'm curious, is there any person here didn't know who Thomas Kinkade was?

Something that appeals to the masses isn't necessarily great art (or great literature, or great filmmaking.) It *can* be, but isn't necessarily.

Think the Twilight series vs. Dickens. Or even vs. Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. The latter three were quite popular, and also have literary merit, the Twilight series doesn't. Do I like Twilight? Sure. I like good schlock as well as the next person. But I'll never teach it to any of my students. However I'm happy to keep it on the classroom bookshelf for free reading time.

See my comment below about Kinkade vs. Rockwell. Artists can use some sentimentality in their paintings and still gain respect, but it's a fine line to tread. Kinkade *never* went beyond sentimentality. I doubt that his work will ever hang in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2012 12:15PM by summer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.