Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: April 16, 2012 01:42PM

So I was talking to the mish who baptized me and he asked me if I was going to be around Utah anytime soon...I told him I might be there in October (for the exmo conference...didn't mention that part lol) and he asked if we could meet up and go for lunch.

Would that be a horrible idea? I know I'd never get sucked back in but I swear this guy is like my weakness...if he wasn't so TBM I'd be so in love with him. & Yesterday I had a dream about him and it was like the best dream ever and I'm trying so hard not to think about it because it makes me so sad that it will never happen...do you think I should just phase him out of my life? Or do you think a harmless lunch would be okay? I still consider him a dear friend but he knows I'm done with the church and I know he never will be so it would probably just be super awkward. Hmm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: April 16, 2012 01:50PM

You should convert him to the dark side.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 16, 2012 01:51PM

Sometimes the idea of a person and the reality of a person are two very different things.

People change a lot during their early 20's.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 16, 2012 02:03PM

You may have lunch with him, only to find you've lost your attraction to him. Or you may be torturing yourself. I'm not sure.

Maybe he would be interested in attending a little bit of exmo conference with you? That would be interesting.

Posted by: the outlander ( )
Date: April 16, 2012 02:07PM

What is exmo conference? I've never heard of that.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: April 16, 2012 02:30PM

theoutlander Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is exmo conference? I've never heard of that.

It's the annual conference of the Exmormon Foundation, to which the public is invited, usually held the second or third weekend of October. From Friday afternoon to Sunday noon, about 300 exmormons gather to socialize, hear talks, and generally enjoy each others' company. Details are at the Foundation website: www.ExmormonFoundation.org

Registration fee is reasonable, hotel is top-notch - it is a memorable time.

Posted by: the outlander ( )
Date: April 16, 2012 02:32PM

Thanks for the info.

Date: April 16, 2012 02:08PM

That would be epic...If I could get him to agree to that...probably wouldn't happen but that would make my life haha

I definitely think I'd be torturing myself. It's been almost a year since I've seen him and I still think about him a lot...but RJ's right, maybe my idea of him isn't what he actually is anymore.

&just a thought- I wish! Haha

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: April 16, 2012 02:25PM

Dude, I've seen one of your videos. Trust me, he is attracted to you.

Date: April 16, 2012 02:28PM

Hahaha aww! Thanks:) I don't know though, he's really into the pretty blonde molly mo types...I don't know if he digs metal heathen girls lol

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 16, 2012 03:04PM

Mostly my experience is that posters on this board have such huge expectations of meeting me in person that they lose sleep over it.

They lie in their beds thinking, "Raptor must be so hawt and kewl, how will I ever relate to him?"

And then when they do meet me and all their wildest dreams have come true - the reality of me is even greater than their imagination could ever imagine.

They often blurt out, "Raptor Raptor! You are hawter than 1000 exploding suns and kewler than the frozenest of iceholes. Let's play polygamy together."

And then I place my hands upon my hips and with a booming laugh, laugh, "Ho! Ho! Ho! Taketh a number, comely lass!"

And then they do, and they eagerly await their turn.

Date: April 16, 2012 03:14PM

hahahahahahahahahaha if I meet you and the experience is any less exciting than what you just described, I'm going to be pissed.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: April 16, 2012 02:10PM

There is nothing wrong with meeting him again.

If he is interested in you personally,perhaps he would like to fly out to where you live and spend some weekends getting to know you better.

If he is only interested in re-converting you, he will back off eventually.
If he sees you as a potential mate, he will make more effort.

See what he will do and what develops.
There is a slight possibility that he will not mind your resistance to Mormonism.
It all depends on what his true motives are.

Posted by: xma ( )
Date: April 16, 2012 02:15PM

Tell him you'll be out for an exmo conference, but you would be glad to have a friendly lunch with him anyway.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: April 16, 2012 02:30PM

Yeah, I'd be totally up front with him and let him decide if he still wants to get together. Who knows, maybe he's on his way out too.

Date: April 16, 2012 02:31PM

He's definitely not- he's the most righteous guy I've ever met...he loves the church more than he loves the air that he breathes hahaha but you're right, I should tell him why I'm really going and see what he does:)

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: April 16, 2012 02:38PM

AJ you should E-mail me at rodolfo@religious.com so I can add you to the secret SLC Postmo Facebook support group. You can get to know some of the people in the group so when you get to SLC you can hook up with everyone more easily. There are many young college age people in the group. You just need to expand your circle a little more and the romantic notion of Elder Perfect will dissipate. Not only do you not really know him in a normal, everyday context, but I can assure you that if he is deep in the cult he can't possibly know YOU at all either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2012 02:39PM by rodolfo.

Date: April 16, 2012 02:42PM

That would be awesome Rodolfo...I'll do that right now:)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.