Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 09:22AM

Next time you think Mormonism restricts you and stunts your development (which it does), be grateful you weren't escaping the Amish.

One thing common to leaving the Mormons and the Amish is the lingering feeling of not belonging in either your old world or your new one, and the desire to be around others who have made the same leap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2012 12:43PM by Stray Mutt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: King Benjamin ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 11:25AM

I recently watched a documentary where it talked about shunning and how they disown their children who leave the faith.

Then later the documentary talked about how they compassionately went to the funeral of the guy who shot a bunch of Amish schoolgirls.

When I realized they loved the murderer of their children even more than they love their children who have left their faith, I realized they are crazy.

I actually don't have anything against some of their retro philosophies about technology. Sometimes I really would like to take my computer, phone, car and television and throw them all out the damn window.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 12:42PM

they were comforting the Widow of the shooter/murderer...

I've found it difficult / IMPOSSIBLE to 'forgive' a dead person, Unless you count comforting yourself, that is.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 11:41AM

I had the same intention when I got up this morning. I just stumbled upon this show last night and immediately thought it would be interesting to RfM folks.

There's a lot in their stories that's maybe a bit more reflective of leaving the FLDS, but the narratives of the various ex-amish (including the very fact they refer to themselves as ex-amish) is something I think would resonate with most people here.

Here's the link:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/amish-out-of-order/

I was struck by the same sentiments you were. Very familiar narratives to all of us here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2012 11:42AM by elee.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 01:30PM

At least most of us have more than an 8th grade education and know how to drive a car and run electrical appliances and tools.

I've always thought that education was one area the church screwed itself. Education can set you free in many ways.

Posted by: Kinsey Millhone ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 02:03PM

My cable guide lists new episodes Tuesdays at 10 PM Eastern on Nat Geo.

Finding parallel strangeness to TSCC in other religions has somehow always given me comfort. I also watched the documentary that King Benjamin and Guy Noir mention, though I can't recall its name at the moment.

DVR is at the ready now for this series.

Thanks for the alert, Stray Mutt!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.