Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 02:28PM

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/catholic-league-threatens-jon-stewart-boycott-over-vagina-135012202.html

Catholic League president Bill Donohue:

"This unprecedented vulgar assault on Christians cannot stand. If Jon Stewart doesn't apologize, we will mount a boycott of his show's advertisers. And we will enlist our allies in the Protestant, Jewish, Mormon and Muslim communities..."

Mormon allies??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 02:35PM

in a basement with his computer.

No threat. None whatsoever.

Posted by: stan chaz ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 02:53PM

Ah, my dear Mr. Donahue, let us take out our bible and meditate a bit on the words attributed to the founder of your religion, in Matthew 5:44: “But I say unto you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those that hate you, and pray for those who insult you and persecute you.” Go in peace my friend - and show us what your religion means by the example of your life, not by having your religion trying to control the lives of the rest of us. ‘Cause when you do that, then both you, and your religion, are fair game......

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 02:58PM

the Wirthlin family is for the Mormons: institutionally-funded mad dogs.

Posted by: archaeologymatters ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 03:11PM

The boycott won't do anything. How many viewers does John Stewart get a night? Probably around 2 million or so? How many of those 2 million see the world like Bill Donahue does? Probably not very many.

I will agree with him on one point. The Catholic church does seem to get bashed more than other religions with less followers in this country. You don't see shows like that doing many anti-mormon, anti-Islamic, anti-Hindu jokes etc. . .

I'm not defending the Catholic church in the slightest and think they are absolutely fair game, but they do seem to get more hatred than other religions. Wouldn't mind seeing mormonism and others being exposed a bit more on shows like that.

Date: April 19, 2012 03:27PM

If there were a plurality of mormons, or hindus or what-have-you in this country, then THAT group would get bashed the most. Law of averages.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 03:14PM

Stewart will eat this publicity up...

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 03:15PM

The Mormons and the Catholics have long since put the whole "Whore of All the Earth" thing behind them and become close friends - particularly through their joint efforts against homosexuals. "Allies" is an appropriate term.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 03:27PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2012 03:31PM by Makurosu.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 04:41PM

The Catholic Justice League despises vaginas. But they despise vaginas with a manger guarding the entrance even more.

I thought the manger-guard was quite attractive. I don't see the problem.

This is good advertising for Jon Stewart.

Posted by: mr. mike ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 05:07PM

Helamonster is right about Bill Donohue; he has very little power, and Jon Stewart will laugh his way into higher ratings. However I do have a suspicion that the Catholic Church had something to do with "Penn and Teller's Bullshit*" being cancelled, because an episode they did on the Universal Church was not on the DVD set of their last season's episodes. But then, these guys went after PeTA, New Age groups, the funeral industry, the martial arts industry, recycling, cheerleading....somebody or all of those somebodies whined enough or in the right way to get Showtime to dump the show.

* This was their show where they went after people or things they thought were frauds, so they also went after the Bible, Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, and Alcoholics Anonymous. "Bullshit!" was highly confrontational, mostly because Penn would make nasty comments about the subject matter off-camera; neither Penn Jillette nor Teller did any interviews in the field. However, they admitted they were unfair, and promised a "Bullshit of Bullshit!" at the end of the show's run. That never happened.

They (rightfully) think that cheerleading should be considered a sport.

Besides having to deal with Penn's annoying voice, you will also have to deal with the pair's Libertarianism; they believe in "market solutions" for everything. The only problem is that the free market has allowed many of the subjects of their shows to flourish, and AA hangs on because judges don't know that there are alternatives to the 12-step groups.

Did I mention they also debunked the Bible?

Posted by: me ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 05:12PM

"AA hangs on because judges don't know that there are alternatives to the 12-step groups." Perhaps if judges were to quit imposing participation in AA on their unwilling clients, AA might do better.

Date: April 19, 2012 06:22PM

Like the fact the Penn Jillette was caught lying -and later ADMITTED lying - about health care reform.

When you are caught out lying on tape, while doing a show that debunks other liars.... well, your shelf-life isn't gonna be too long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2012 06:22PM by helamonster.

Date: April 19, 2012 08:48PM

"Like the fact the Penn Jillette was caught lying -and later ADMITTED lying - about health care reform.

When you are caught out lying on tape, while doing a show that debunks other liars.... well, your shelf-life isn't gonna be too long."
- helamonster

Whoa...when did that happen? I'm not a Penn Jillette supporter, but I've never heard of that from any Anti-Libertarian website.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 05:19PM

Bill Donohue is hardly the Catholic Church. Seriously.

Date: April 19, 2012 05:44PM

"AA hangs on because judges don't know that there are alternatives to the 12-step groups." Perhaps if judges were to quit imposing participation in AA on their unwilling clients, AA might do better.

AA has a 5 percent success rate; success rate of going cold-turkey on the booze is...5 percent.

If you know the twelve steps, you know why they can be applied to any problem; because they are about "sin" and personal blame and not actually dealing with the problem.

If it were not for the traffic courts, AA would be a distant memory, replaced by groups like Rational Recovery and SOS, or anti-alcohol drug regimines.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.