Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 12:27PM

Richard Dutcher, director of "God's Army," talks openly about becoming an ex-mormon.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/lifestyle/53940921-80/dutcher-faith-film-lds.html.csp

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 20, 2012 12:32PM

An excerpt from the article in the Salt Lake Tribune:

In researching the life of Smith for his film, Dutcher said, "one day, I just simply asked myself the question, ‘What if it simply isn’t true?’ "

In a faith where adherents often begin their testimony with "I know this church is true," that question carries enormous weight.

"My own brain, something from the deepest part of me, said, ‘Of course it isn’t true.’ After that, the whole house of cards fell," Dutcher said. "In a very real sense, in the time span of one minute, I went from being a true believer to being a complete nonbeliever. It was actually quite terrifying."

Date: April 20, 2012 12:41PM

The comment section below the article contains quite a few comments from loving mormons.

Examples below:

Yes, Hollywood and its actors and others in the film world would be a really bad place to stay a Mormon. Mormonism is not an easy religion and the weak apostasize regularly. It's kind of a social darwinism--The strong stay and the weak fall by the wayside. However the Church keeps growing with new converts, many from Protestants and Catholics. I'm sure the Church will keep on growing.

Spoken like the rest of the bigotted, intolerant hate-mongering anti-Mormons. You really need to come up with something better to post. You are just proving the Mormons correct. Mormons don't usually respond to this junk but they are beginng to now, and we'll see who the liar really is.

Like, it doesn't look like he was really in it to begin with, if he fell out that quickly just by finding out that Joseph Smith was human with flaws. People seem to forget that Jesus was the only perfect person to walk the earth

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 01:39PM

I live in LA, worked in the entertainment biz for years and the people are NOT any less moral than any other business.

The fact that they live this wild and crazy party lifestyle is simply not true. Perhaps the reality stars do this but their personalities are such that they would live that sort of lifestyle anway.

Posted by: freetimenow ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 01:05PM

I found this quote from the article telling:

"There are many LDS authors out there, according to Margaret Young, who teaches creative writing at Brigham Young University and is president of the Association of Mormon Letters. The problem with many of them, she said, is that "they tend not to be very good. They don’t explore depth of conflict, and have easy resolutions."

Date: April 20, 2012 01:11PM

Yes, very interesting to find a member of the BYU faculty noting the mormon trait of holding fast to mediocrity.

Posted by: freetimenow ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 01:30PM

True, but I found it interesting she had perhaps inadvertantly admitted that the culture tends to squash creativity and personal opinion. Instead it pushes "the one true answer."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.