Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jan ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 08:55AM

A couple of weeks ago, a fire destroyed the mobile home of a single mom and her two children who attend our small (500 member) nondenominational Christian church.

Members took the family into their home; others provided clothes and toys for the children. I'm babysitting the family dog until they find another home (which does NOT please my cat).

The next weekend, the pastor and band put on a benefit concert after church on Saturday evening. The youth fixed hot dogs on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday, plus held a car wash after church Sunday.

A special offering was set up at church.

Long story short, in one weekend our little congregation raised over $6,500 to help this family in need.

I couldn't help remembering times when I needed help as a single-mom TBM and the response I got from the ward. Once, the RS woman put together a box of food that they obviously had culled from their own pantries (a can of sardines sticks in my mind). Of course, no help at all from the bishop.

Community, compassion and providing hope. Shouldn't that be what church is about - not building malls and supporting political agendas?

I'm so glad to be free of Mormonism.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mindlight ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 08:58AM

boggles the mind...

thxs for post

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 09:20AM

Well done.
I remember having to ask, beg, for a food order. My son had just died, and I could not work for several months.
Mr ambivalentmo was working two jobs at the time, just to scrape by.
Between paying tithing and the mortgage, there was little to no money for food.
The rs president actually came to my house, got out her clipboard, and proceeded to go through
every. single. cupboard. in my house. Fridge too.
"Just making sure you really need a food order. There has been a big problem with members relying too much on the church. Funds are tight, we need to tighten up our belts"
I am not exaggerating.

I felt like she thought I was lying about our needs.
As if the shame of poverty and asking for help were not quite humiliating enough...
Looking back, I should have told her to step off and gtfo. Or rearranged her face....
Or something brave. Instead I just felt too ashamed and embarrassed to do anything other than cower in silence.
Story of my life. Till now :)

But that's what the church does. They add an extra element of shame, just for good measure.
Christlike?
Not so much.

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 09:29AM

Wow, I'm so sorry. I hope you're doing ok now.

Posted by: Mindlight ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 09:36AM

Khalil Gibran wrote a wonderful book "The Prophet".

In it is an interesting thought. Paraphased it says "Are you worthy to give?" meaning the right heart for the right reasons.

church falls waaay short

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 09:38AM

I'm doing incredibly better, thanks.
The fact that other churches really get the love one another thing gives me hope.
Thank you for your post Jan :)
It's refreshing to hear about real compassion and love for others in your church.
That's something Christ would be proud of.
You know, its actually christlike :)
Nice change :)

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 10:51AM

It's the difference between charity coming from the heart and an honest desire to do what is right and help others and the Mormon practice of requiring and assigning charity. When you are forced to be charitable, you end up being stingy and insincere. When you want to help, you do everything you can. I've seen Mormons give charity from the heart and it's way different than when they feel obligated.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.