Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 04:13PM

and if he uses any of these, remember you read it here first!
PACKHAM: According to Mormon scripture, the founder of your church (Joseph Smith) was told by God in 1820 that all the churches of the day were "an abomination." Do you agree with God's view of other churches, as quoted by Joseph Smith? (Pearl of Great Price, JS-Hist 1:18-19)

ANAROMNEY: The term “abomination” was a common adjective in use in the nineteenth century and did not have the same connotation as it does now. In modern parlance, the more accurate term for the message the Lord gave to Joseph Smith would be “unacceptable.”

PACKHAM: According to your church's Articles of Faith, number eight, the Book of Mormon is the "word of God." Do you believe that?

ANAROMNEY: Yes, insofar as it’s teachings parallel the truths of the Bible. The great strength of the Book of Mormon is its further corroboration of the Holy Bible as the most correct book and one by which we all should live.

PACKHAM: According to the Book of Mormon there are only two churches: the "church of the Lamb of God [presumably the Mormon church]" and the "church of the devil," "the whore of all the earth." Do you agree with that Mormon scripture? (Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 14:10)

ANAROMNEY: The “whore of all the earth” is actually the church of mammon, enemy of Christ, which is the 18th century colloquial description of the worship of materialism. The Book of Mormon paraphrases this teaching of Christ in reformed Egyptian, which again suffered a translation through the mind of an eighteenth century unlearned farmboy. “Church of the Devil” would today be translated as “the predominant materialistic culture.” Most sincere seekers would agree that cultural elements must be considered when ancient documents are translated.

PACKHAM: According to the Book of Mormon a dark skin is a curse imposed by God on the unrighteous and their descendants as a punishment for sin. Do you agree with that doctrine? (Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 12:22-23, Alma 3:6, 2 Nephi 5:21-22, Jacob 3:8, 3 Nephi 2:15-16, Mormon 5:15; references to the "Lamanites" are taken to be referring to Native American "Indians".)

ANAROMNEY: Enemies of the church have pounced on this imagery to impute a racial disparagement. They were actually speaking allegorically as in a darkness of the spirit or soul. People of the time were known to cry out, “My skin doth cry unto the Lord for forgiveness of my sins.”

PACKHAM: According to Mormon doctrine, the president of the Mormon church is a prophet of God, receiving revelations and commandments (God's laws) directly from God. Do you believe that? (Doctrine and Covenants , 21:5, 43:3, 58:18)

ANAROMNEY: Of course. Don’t you believe in the Bible? God speaks to man through prophets.

PACKHAM: One of the most sacred rituals for adult Mormons, performed only in a Mormon temple, is a ceremony called "the endowment." Have you undergone this ritual? If so, in what year?

ANAROMNEY: The details of my personal practice of religious rituals has nothing to do with my candidacy for President. Your willingness to ask such an invasive question makes me wonder if you have an axe to grind. Do you?

PACKHAM: To be admitted to the temple for the endowment ceremony a Mormon must be "in good standing" in the church and undergo a personal interview with church leaders, who examine the member as to whether the member obeys church commandments, supports church leaders, pays full ten percent tithe, wears the prescribed Mormon underwear, abstains from coffee, tea, alcohol, tobacco and extramarital sex, and other matters. If the member answers correctly, a pass to the temples (called a "temple recommend") is issued, good for two years. Do you have such a temple recommend now, indicating that you are in good standing in your church? If not, why not?

ANAROMNEY: Asked and answered many times before. I am a true believer in good standing with my church, like candidates before me, like Barack Obama in fact.

PACKHAM: In the secret Mormon temple ceremony Mormons take an oath of obedience to "the law of the Lord." Did you take that oath?

ANAROMNEY: Since you know that we Mormons consider the content of our Temple ceremony to be sacred, I forgive you for asking. Next question?

PACKHAM: Before 1990, the endowment ceremony required members to take an oath of secrecy not to reveal anything that happened in the temple under penalty of death. Did you take that oath?

ANAROMNEY: As I said before, I intend to keep the condition of my personal soul private. These questions imply a religious test for office and are offensive, having no place in the debate between myself and President Obama regarding jobs and the issues America cares about.

PACKHAM: In the temple ceremony Mormons also take a secret oath to "consecrate your time, talents and everything which the Lord has blessed you, or with which he may bless you, to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints..." Did you take that oath?

ANAROMNEY: Do you believe in the separation of Church and state? I do. If you are so interested in the details of the Mormon religion, please accept this card containing the phone number of the local mission. Two very nice young men will visit you and answer all your questions. In fact, I invite anyone listening to call the local Mormon missionaries and avoid getting inaccurate information from the internet. Everyone jokes about how eager Mormons are to tell you about our religion. I simply don't believe it has a proper place on the campaign trail and I think most Americans would agree with me.

PACKHAM: Would you consider the office of the presidency of the U.S. to be a "blessing" with which the Lord had blessed you?

ANAROMNEY: (Laughing) No-- I am NOT the President of the United States. I am just a humble candidate. It is up to the people of the United States to select the President because the Lord honors the free will of human beings. Which is why I am traveling the United States bringing my message of fiscal responsibility for big government.

PACKHAM: Mormons teach that by obedience to all the commandments of Mormonism, a Mormon may attain the highest degree of heaven and ultimately become a god, creating and ruling over his own universe. Do you believe that? Is this your ultimate personal goal?

ANAROMNEY: Some Mormons believe that but it is not part of the official doctrine of the church. As with many churches, individuals have various interpretations of what they hear. It is a constant effort on the part of the leaders of all religions to continually affirm to the members that the anchor principals of their faith. In Mormonism, that would be salvation through Jesus Christ.

PACKHAM: Although your church presently condemns the practice of polygamy, the scripture commanding it is still in the Mormon Doctrine and Covenants, Section 132. Many early Mormons were polygamous and married ("sealed") to numerous wives "for eternity." Do you believe then that there will be polygamous families in Mormon heaven?

ANAROMNEY: We discontinued the practice of polygamy long ago. It’s clearly off the mark to be asking a question like that to me as a candidate for President. You might as well ask me if I believe in an eye-for-an-eye since it’s in the Old Testament. Read Leviticus. There are many “commandments” in the scriptures which we realize are not meant for us now. Doesn't mean we don't believe in the Bible or aren't Christian if we eat pork or shellfish.

PACKHAM: It is well documented that Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon Church, secretly had many wives. Some of those women were at the same time married to other men, some were as young as fifteen, He claimed that he was commanded by God to enter into these marriages. Do you feel that these early marital practices of your church's founder were really commanded by God?

ANAROMNEY: The marital problems of our church’s founder, like his failings, are acknowledged by him and he even reports his castigation by the Lord for them in some of the revelations. I believe in what Jesus Christ taught—“Let him without sin throw the first stone.” We Mormons believe that the sins of Joseph Smith give hope to every human being that they may be found worthy despite their past failings. This is the hope of the Restoration and the great accomplishment of Joseph Smith.

PACKHAM: Mormons believe that when Christ returns to earth, a millennium of peace will begin under Christ's rule (Article of Faith number ten), presumably as a single theocracy. Most Mormons believe that during that time, Mormons will be Christ's appointed officers and that the civil law will conform to Mormon teachings. Do you believe that?

ANAROMNEY: We have the Bible for our guide in that matter and I accept the teachings of the Bible. Going beyond that is speculative.

PACKHAM: According to Mormon scripture (Doctrine and Covenants 135:3) Joseph Smith did more than any other man except Jesus Christ "for the salvation of men in this world." Do you agree with that, keeping in mind the contributions of men like the Apostles, Saint Paul, Thomas Aquinas, Saint Augustine, Martin Luther, Martin Luther King, and others?

ANAROMNEY: In the broader picture, you might say that’s a matter of opinion. Your judgment may differ.

Anagrammy :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2012 04:49PM by anagrammy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: S. Tissue Trotter ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 04:24PM

This is great! Though I don't get the 18th century unlearned farmboy. JS lived totally within the 19th century.

Date: May 01, 2012 04:49PM

THanks, fixed it. Look for me on the campaign bus...

HAHAHAHA

ANa

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 04:24PM

What a lying sack of fucking shit.

Posted by: carthagegrey ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 04:35PM

damn anagrammy, i think the romney super pac is going to offer you a job and or cabinet post

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 08:27AM

Richard Grenell, an openly gay foreign policy spokesman for Mitt Romney's campaign, quit amid pressure by some Republicans who criticized his appointment.

I'm guessing the job's yours if you want it.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 04:44PM

Right now someone at TSCC is looking for ANAROMNEY.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 04:51PM

The problem I have with these answers is that not one of them honestly attempts to answer the question that is asked. What he has done is reframe the question into the answer to the question that you should have asked. Not one of the questions had a serious attempt at an answer. That is the problem I have always had with Mittens. He will never answer a question honestly. He will always try to reframe the answer so that it is for the question that you should have asked. Example: in the first question he is asked if he agrees with God's view, the answer tries to explain the definition of abomination. The second question is about the BOM, his answer is about the Bible as the most correct book. He obviously doesn't know Mormon theology. In the third question he is asked if he believes Mormon Scripture, his answer is to describe the differences in colloquial english between the 1800 and now. Etc, Etc, he never answers the question.

Date: May 01, 2012 04:56PM

You do understand that this is satire. I am the fake Romney--this is my take as an exmo on how he avoids answering questions.

Just making sure no anons show up and say, "These are not authorized answers from the Church of JC of LDS. Ms. Anaromney is not a legitimate spokesperson for the Mormon church."

That would be a howl, wouldn't it. (Paternoster gets it all the time :)

Ana

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 05:20PM

Ho ho ho, silly exmo.

We cannot divulge the secret temple covenants for they have not been given us permission. For this purpose we go to the temple.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 05:18PM

You're spooky anagrammy. Way too realistic. Did you dictate this with a low, guttural voice while your eyes rolled back into your head?

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 09:06PM

Date: May 01, 2012 05:20PM

Well done, thou faithful servant.
Just bow your head and say yes....

;-) winks evilly.......

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 05:29PM

'ANAROMNEY: The “whore of all the earth” is actually the church of mammon, enemy of Christ, which is the 18th century colloquial description of the worship of materialism. The Book of Mormon paraphrases this teaching of Christ in reformed Egyptian, which again suffered a translation through the mind of an eighteenth century unlearned farmboy. “Church of the Devil” would today be translated as “the predominant materialistic culture.” Most sincere seekers would agree that cultural elements must be considered when ancient documents are translated.'

Would it seem ironic to have Mitt discourage the worship of materialism?

Date: May 01, 2012 11:58PM

Yes, through his polysyllabic veil of euphemisms.

Ana

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 07:30PM

Great job, Anagrammy! The Romney team is surely going to be offering you a job!

FAIR has also responded to the questions. They didn't think the questions were appropriate, and misunderstood some of them. They also felt that as an atheist I should not be saying that I am trying to help the evangelicals - that makes me a hypocrite.
http://en.fairmormon.org/Website_reviews/Exmormon_Foundation/Richard_Packham%27s_media_questions_for_Mitt_Romney

Posted by: Delightsome White Boy ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 12:27AM

Anaromney's responses were actually quite a bit more honorable and legitimate than FAIR's. I was impressed with Anaromney.

FairRomney is too bitter and anti-atheist. Attack the Messenger and their motives and not answer the question. Too obvious, as a member, I would be turned off.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 06:56PM

Perhaps even too well done.

Posted by: perthguy ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 07:38PM

Hahahaha, brilliant!

Date: May 02, 2012 07:52PM

I just casually strolled onto the FAIR wiki- whatever.
Once again, the tools that post their" gospel truths" have exposed more chinks in the armor of that great dragon: even the cojcolds.
I must say, they are providing the gateway to freedom for millions of literate internet savvy cult members.
Let the cognitive dissonance healing begin.
I hope and pray that this gate to freedom might soon become a floodgate of massive proportions.
The cracks in the dam are getting bigger.
I fully approve.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 08:17PM

Incidentally, when apologists try to claim that a word meant something different in Joseph Smith's day, Webster's 1828 Dictionary is a useful resource. For example, from http://www.webster1828.com/definition.aspx?word=Abomination:

Abomination

n.

1. Extreme hatred; detestation.

2. The object of detestation, a common signification in scripture.

The way of the wicked is an abomination to the Lord. Prov.xv.

3. Hence, defilement, pollution, in a physical sense, or evil doctrines and practices, which are moral defilements, idols and idolatry, are called abominations. The Jews were an abomination to the Egyptians; and the sacred animals of the Egyptians were an abomination to the Jews. The Roman army is called the abomination of desolation. Mat. 24:13. In short, whatever is an object of extreme hatred, is called an abomination.

Posted by: acerbicone ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 10:42PM

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 02:46AM

Classic.

We are lucky you didn't turn to the dark side!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.