Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: moroniandcheese ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 02:37AM

I don't understand what motivation anyone would have for making them up, but out of an abundance of caution, I'd like to know for sure before using them and making an ass of myself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 03, 2012 02:38AM

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 03:36AM

anyone can put (almost) anything on youtube. There is no way of knowing which are 'true', which are 'false', which are merely misinformed, and which are 'exaggerated'.

I suppose you could search the site for other stuff uploaded by the same person and get a feeling if they are honest......

I guess, it's wise to be cautious, if you are going to take the video at anything other than 'face value'

Posted by: archaeologymatters ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 03:43AM

Emily Pearson is certainly legit. Other than that I would not know for sure, but I would guess they are accurate. I wish some were more detailed though. Many do not give that good of reasons for leaving. Not that you need a good reason to leave the cult, but for a youtube type format that is going to many different people I want real intelligence. One of the ones a lady left because they didn't teach about God loving puppies in nursery anymore. I need more than that.

Date: May 03, 2012 01:05PM

I also wish they were more detailed, however, I find that sometimes emotion speaks better to certain people than logic. I don't indeed to use these videos to deconvert others, just to foster understanding..I've discussed my version of events with my family, but I get the feeling that they can't see the forest for the trees.

Date: May 03, 2012 01:06PM

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 10:58AM

I know personally quite a few of the people on "I am an exmormon" videos.

Better question: Are the people on "I am a Mormon" videos typical of Mormons?

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 11:00AM

They are legit I know a lot of these people.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 12:38PM

What about the I'm a mormon videos? Does anyone know for sure if they are real?

I don't get Why you are you asking. Are ex-mormons held to a higher standard? Do the mos you are talking to accept all of their claims without question but any counter claims have to be proven? Listen, if the 'im'a mormon' stuff is assumed to be accurate or representative why in hell wouldn't the "i'm and exmormon" not be assumed to be representative? It just sounds like a double standard to me. Exmos have to be proven but mos are taken at face value.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 12:50PM

I know some of those people, so I know they are legit. But why would you take my word for it any more than theirs? They actually show their faces, but I'm just an anonymous poster. How do you know if anything is real? Use your own judgement.

Date: May 03, 2012 01:12PM

No, I cannot know beyond a shadow of any doubt, but having a board of people that I am familiar with vouch for them strengthens the case.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 01:25PM

Just that I wouldn't be willing to show my face as openly as they did, and I respect them for that. Several people I met and heard essentially the same story from them directly, prior to their posting it. You can probably meet these people in person if you live in the area.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 01:08PM

the point is ... are you getting any useful information from them.

Date: May 03, 2012 01:15PM

But I think a few of them could be used to help my family understand me better.

Date: May 03, 2012 01:18PM

Though I have to admit I'm confused as to why some of them are laden with low grade hostility. Oh well, hopefully it's just me imagination ;-)

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 01:27PM

Yes. They are legit.

I've heard interviews with the filmmaker and I know (through friends) at least 4 of the people interviewed.

Heartbreaking, but legit. Even my TBM wife cried at a couple of them. (She read Emily Pearson's book and liked it so much I showed her Emily's ex-mormon video.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.