Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:28PM

I have been pretty upset lately...
No. I have been furious about the treatment of gblt children and adult members of the church.
I have this thought nagging at me. I could be totally wrong, but hearing about these
"sealings" , man to man, has been bugging me.
Is there a website or book that has any info anyone can direct me to?

I really think warren jeffs was practicing polygamy, (rape and subjugation of women and girls), the way Joe smith intended it.
I think Joe was into both sexes, or more accurately, into power over both sexes= everyone.

There are so many double binds and horrible mind games in todays church. I can't even imagine how it was in the early days.

The point : Did they consummate the sealings man to man on the altar in kirtland and Nauvoo? As in warren jeffs style?
And if these sealings are historical fact, wouldn't this be a huge blow to the LSD homophobia??

I am losing it?

or does this bug anyone else?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2012 09:30PM by ambivalent exmo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 10:04PM

http://www.utlm.org/newsletters/no92.htm#SEALING%20MEN%20TO%20MEN

Although I know of no evidence that actual sexual acts took place between the men involved, the psychological implications are interesting. I'm sure that some day far in the future, when gay marriages are finally performed in LDS temples, Mormon apologists will cite these early practices as "proof" that the Mormon church has accepted marriage quality from its beginnings!

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 11:02PM

Wasn't John D Lee sealed to Brigham?

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 11:06PM

In Nauvoo after Joe Smith was killed, men were supposedly getting sealed to him as "eternal spouses." Go figure.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 12:31AM

From handed down family legend and some documentation they were close. Family legend also says that is why JDL took the hit for all of them.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 11:08PM

The brethren were sealed to one another. I remember reading that somewhere anyway. They shared wives and daughters too. Some of those women were reassigned when a man would die or get exe'd or whatever. Some men married a mom and daughter as well. Or a pair of sisters etc.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2012 11:11PM by suckafoo.

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 11:44PM

Or a pair of scissors etc. is what I saw the first time. Long day, I guess.

Date: May 03, 2012 01:19AM

thanks for the responses.
It's an interesting topic for me :)
off to read the utlm info...
cheers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2012 01:21AM by ambivalent exmo.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 09:58AM

knowing pervert Joe and Brigham, the early temple sessions were probably a total free for all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8j4QoewfLA

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 10:01AM

One of my G-g-grandfathers was sealed to Brigham the same day as Lee and there's another regular poster's grandfathers who was in on the same deal.

These male to male sealings were about power not sex.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2012 10:02AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 10:03AM

Posted by: the one and only ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 10:32AM

When I first looked into this I was trying to justify things still, so I thought about it and came up with this gem.

The male to male sealings was a way for men from lower families to achieve higher degree of glory. it makes sense because one man can only care for so manny wife's, so instead of taking more wife's the higher ranking man would instead adopt another adult man into his family. Therefore building his own family up.

I'm pretty good at justifying things, so if you ever come across a hard situation just let me know. I'm sure I can think up a reason it was ok!

Date: May 03, 2012 02:46PM

ha ha ha!
that's awesome!!

Posted by: slatheredtwice ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 04:10PM

In the JofD, Brigham explains the ending of the practice by stating that the church didn't know why it was being done. It is my opinion that there was a good deal of bisexuality among the early leaders and in my opinion Joseph and Oren were more than childhood buddies. Out of all the men who were with JS when he went back to Nauvoo knowing he was probably going to die, Oren was the only one he commmanded to stay on other side of the river.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.