Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: l2 ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 10:22AM

Is it normal for a grown woman to quote bible verses on facebook EVERYDAY?

Personally I feel she needs counseling. She seems to have developed a co-dependency on the scriptures...non mormon.

She says: "I can't do anything without Jesus".

Should I say something or just keep quiet and toss it up to being in the deep south.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gay Philosopher ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 10:24AM

Do you suppose that Jesus can do anything without her? :)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 10:25AM

My Church of God extremist mother-in-law quoted that stuff constantly.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 10:29AM

No one in this world . . .has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people.

(H.L. MENCKEN, A Mencken Chrestomathy)

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 10:56AM

I hope it works for her.

somebody said Region is the opiate of the people, Marx, Stalin...someone

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 10:57AM

*religion

Posted by: ava ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 11:01AM

Not sure if it's co-dependency. I've always known co-dep to be more like "I can't live if my partner/child/parent/friend isn't happy, and it's my responsibility to make them happy".

Fb has a great feature called "less of this person". You are still "friends" but you don't see their updates. It works great for
me....

Some people need something like belief in Jesus (or daily listening to hard rock/jazz/the Carpenters) to make it through...as long as it doesn't impact me, I don't let it ruin my day.

It can get on one's nerves, however. Particularly when someone tells you that you need to agree or believe...

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 01:40PM

There's an "idée fixe" in her thinking that fuels her "ritual" behavior...

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 12:33PM

Co dependancy is addiction by another name. Oh yes, whether it is drugs, food, religion, or an abusive spouse, some people feel unable to be whole without their fix of choice. Sometimes that choice is less harmful in some ways than choices, but it is still not entirely healthy to NEED that fix of choice.

Most of the religions this particular sort of co dependant get their fix from are anti-gay, and not pro-equality in the true sense of it.

Moderation and a healthy psyche win over co dependancy every time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2012 12:36PM by WinksWinks.

Posted by: rander70 ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 12:50PM

A message to the Christians:

You know, God gave you a body, emotions, logic, and your 5 senses for a reason. I dont think he expects you to cast all those blessings away and say "Ill carry you, just lay there and tell me how much you need me." Haha. I believe he wants you to figure it out for yourself. How annoying would it be if you were the a boss of a co-dependent worker where you had to hold their hand the entire time? After a time of telling them over and over again what you expect of them, it would get tiring! God gave you tools and instructions. Use them.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 02:39PM

The term you are looking for is "external locus of control." This person on FB obviously thinks that everything that happens, good or bad, is part of God's Big Plan™ so therefore, she can't be bothered to think for herself, make decisions, or take responsibility for her own thoughts, words, or actions.

People who have an internal locus of control take personal responsibility for their thoughts, words, and actions.

People who have an external locus of control have to blame someone, anyone, for anything. It's always god's fault. She can't do anything without god = perfect excuse to be lazy and do nothing for anyone because if it doesn't "feel" "godly" then she doesn't have to do anything. Nice.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.