Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 05:19PM

I just read this on FB:

"God has placed within us a will, and we should be satisfied to have it controlled by the will of the Almighty. Let the human will be indomitable for right. It has been the custom of parents to break the will until it is weakened, and the noble, God-like powers of the child are reduced to a comparative state of imbecility and cowardice. Let that heaven-born property of human agents be properly tempered and wisely directed, instead of pursuing the opposite course, and it will conquer in the cause of right. Break not the spirit of any person, but guide it to feel that it is its greatest delight and highest ambition to be controlled by the revelations of Jesus Christ, then the will of man becomes God-like in overcoming the evil that is sown in the flesh, until God shall reign within us to will and do of his good pleasure." (Discourses of Brigham Young, 264).

Not the most annoying FB post of the day but it does beg the question...if the woman who posted this (a former mission companion of mine) is reading Discourses of Brigham Young, how is she still a believing member? Much less a believing member who posted LOVE THIS: at the beginning of this message. She's almost as hard to understand as a former BYU roommate of mine who is a Libertarian and unschooler who posts things that make me want to say "How are you still Mormonism?" But her ideas about politics clearly don't apply to her religion. And I really wonder what my former mission companion's non-LDS friends think of crap like this. What would you think if you were a nevermo?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2012 05:22PM by CA girl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 05:48PM

"All in all, you're just another brick in the wall."

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.