Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon65 ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 05:27PM

...or were you the one who was left?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 05:41PM

Yes, I did. When my holy abusing priesthood holding ex realized I really meant it , that I was no longer gonna do the MO thing, because I had honestly studied out, he became meaner and meaner until I could stand it no longer and told him "We need to get a divorce." Then I filed.

I only later realized that that is what he wanted, but he did not want to be the bad guy and file; so he made my life miserable as hell until I finally did. It took about a year.

I have never regretted leaving him,and have not one good word to say about the man. He is mean and a hypocrit to the core and lies about everything and anything. Okay, I am done now.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 05:43PM

He sounds like a General Authority...

Date: March 10, 2011 05:57PM

He was first counselor in the bishopric twice, and NO one ever had a clue of what was going on behind the doors of our lovely home.

He actually beat the crap out of me several times a year for the first 10 years of our marriage because I petted with a few guys as a teenager, before I even met him. He would say I " betrayed him before we even met". How does that work? It was awful.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 09:34PM

if it wasn't that it would have been something else. That privileged information was just used to hurt you.

Because he picked that it shows how insecure he was in his manhood.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 05:53PM

Although there may be legitimate reasons for a person to answer "yes" or "no", I think the question is too simplistic.

relationships are complicated and when they break down it rarely comes down to one issue.... even an issue as big as this

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 06:30PM

My wife and I had a good and loving marriage (sure there were communication problems sometimes but nothing terrible).

When I told her about my disbelief and that I didn't want to attend it took less than a month before her TBM family bought her a plane ticket to Utah to get away from me and less than a week from when she came home she was asking for a divorce. From me voicing my doubts to the signing of the first divorce papers was 6 weeks... I'm now waiting for the divorce to be finalized in another month and a half.

True, it wasn't just leaving the church, but the issues that lead to the divorce all centered around my disbelief.
For example:
We both wanted kids, but she was unwilling to allow me to explain to our hypothetical kids why I didn't believe and I was unwilling to allow my hypothetical children to be instructed by mom and church that I was "bad" because I didn't believe. I was willing to compromise on a lot of issues, such as word of wisdom stuff.
Because I didn't believe in the priesthood I was nolonger worthy to lead the family. (Personally admitting that the priesthood didn't exist felt like a rock was lifted off my chest and was excited to change the family dynamic to be more equal partners)
Because I didn't believe in the sealing power I had voided our "eternal marriage" and a marriage for mortality wasn't enough for her, she "needs" an eternal mate. (never mind that I told her and still believe that if there is an afterlife, I can't imagine not being together in some way)
Oh and the uncertainty of "what kind of man I would become without the church". From what I was able to glean she was afraid I'd become some kind of perverted alcoholic monster. I tried to explain to her that I always concidered myself a pretty nice guy, that I was a nice guy before I was mormon, and I have no reason to believe that I will stop being a nice guy... also that she could ask my friends and family about what kind of person the pre-mormon me was.

So yeah... it is that simple sometimes.

I should mention that I do know of at least one of her TBM family that encouraged divorce... I suspect other people in her "TBM Support Collective" also gave her this advice... I was surprised, I knew it was a risk but I thought we were starting to work towards a compromise... nope, I guess I mistook the lack of her attacking my position for some form of respect and understanding when really it was that she had made up her mind to leave and at that point why try to convince me that I'm wrong with she can punish me.... at least that's how I read the situation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2011 06:49PM by strivingforbalance.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 06:48PM

Posted by: nomomoses ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 03:05PM

Similar is happening to me. DW was very upset the first week, but then things settled down to a nice routine, a intimacy actually increased for a month. Then one morning,out of the blue, she didn't even allow me to kiss her before I left for work. That night she talked top my TBM parents & the bishop. When I asked what was up, she said she wanted me out of the house & a divorce. I am still home, but I don't know how long we can be together when she insists the marriage can not work. She needs the temple sealing &CK ticket. We have friends that seem happily married even with different religions, but she does not believe she can do it. With no intimacy I don't think I can make it work either. Right now I am scared for our future.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 04:12PM

I'm sorry to hear that... hopefully things will work out for you. It's too bad that the one true church is so destructive to loving families.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 09:03PM

Believe it or not, she did you a favor.

Your marriage would have been hell with her attitude.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 09:30PM

"Goodbye."

I'm so sorry. The church sucks.

Shannon

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 09:48PM

My husband is Jack Mormon to the core. All of the kids and I resigned 5 years ago.

He stayed in.

Hedging his bets. Just in case it's true.

We've had a rough few years. We nearly ended it all last summer - both of our faults no doubt, but religion a major issue.

6 months of non-mo therapy later . . . we made it! We are not divorcing. We won!! Fuck the Mormon church and all its brainwashing.

My husband's mind and body are his own now.

Shannon ;o)

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: March 12, 2011 12:32AM

Yeah, that is sad. She loved her church more than the human she married. I say you should feel blessed. You will have a spouse one day that loves YOU and won't judge you up against a "church". It didn't matter what you said or how you lived pre-Mormon life, she had to believe what she had been taught- you would become bad if you left Mormonism. These people are so brainwashed. Glad you don't have to live with that. And surely her family was a big part of this. They could not handle their daughter being with a guy who used his brain to discover Mormonism was not for him.

Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 06:00PM

I expressed my thoughts to ex Mrs. Duder, and I'm sure it added to her desire to leave me.

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 06:35PM

When I first heard on this board that Mormons were divorcing, because one didn't believe and the spouse said "our marriage is based on lies". Right then and there I decided I ain't never getting married based on religion.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 07:36PM

We were a happy young couple, no major problems, three little kids, both of us born and raised in the church. A little over two years after I announced I no longer believed, she left me (with no warning), took the kids and filed for divorce.

During the divorce negotiations, her lawyer (who was a high school classmate of mine) asked her what it would take for her to withdraw the divorce petition. She said she would withdraw it if I came back to the church and became a good Mormon again. That was the ONLY problem between us.

I knew then that it was all over.

Date: March 10, 2011 09:28PM

It really can be as simple as one spouse leaving the church, as the other often feels betrayed and still wants that eternal marriage, family forever thing, and ticket to the CK. I know several people where it was that and only that.

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 10:33PM

I gave him an ultimatum, join the church or else. He joined, we went to the temple a year later. He became inactive and I made life miserable for awhile. That was abusive and unfair on my part. I finally left the church and we are healing from the craziness. That's awesome for us, but it pisses me off so many others go through so much pain from the cult.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 07:50PM

But, it only happened after I emotionally left her.

Once we decided that we couldn't reach an agreement about me leaving Mormonism, it was over. She was the one to finally walk out the door though.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 08:12PM

It happend to me. My wife left me when I would not re join the mormons and take her through the temple. When we married I was out and she was totaly inactive. We had a good successful business,,nice home,,2 wonderful kids. Then she started going back to church. I found out later that some members of the ward/bishoprick told her she could do better than me. We lost the business,,lost the house,,and she moved back home in Idaho with her parents. I have been told by some TBMs that she done the right thing. I choose never to remarry and still keep in contact with the kids. So when they tell me about the family values and the honesty of the mormons,,I wanna puke.

Posted by: travis ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 08:24PM

Upon confiding in my ex-wife that I was having serious doubts about the church she ran to the bishop & the whole situation spun out of control.

I had questioned tscc all of my life, even during my mission, but after they changed the temple ceremony in 1991 I was done. Forever lasting gospel? Ya, right!

It was sure tough on our six kids & that still pains me but my conscience wouldn't let me pretend any longer.

It was the best thing to happen in my life. I was a bird trapped in a brass cage & the door was opened for me. I now look back at the brass cage (tscc) & enjoy the freedom.

My kids are all doing great too! They survived.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2011 08:25PM by travis.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 08:36PM

I was lucky I didn't have kids with my ex. I'm glad your children did well through it all :)

Date: March 10, 2011 09:29PM

same here, wanna puke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2011 09:42PM by think4u.

Posted by: left ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 08:33PM

I told my husband I didn't think I wanted to be involved in the church anymore on a Monday. He left me the following Sunday. That was it. The only thing he could explain to me is that he had to put God as a priority in his life. If I didn't believe in the church, then how could I possibly support him in this? How indeed...

After he left, we spoke a handful of times over the phone, and all other communication was done via email. The divorce is final, and now I'm left picking up the pieces trying to figure out how to support myself after following the mormon plan and not getting a real career of my own. Of course, all my "friends" from church never even said a word to me. This all happened 10 months ago. Fuck the church.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 09:03PM

Mrs Truthseeker and I are considering separation. We love each other but are growing apart. The TSCC is just one of several key wedge issues.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 09:05PM

I was not about to allow a difference of opinion over religion to destroy our investment in a long marriage, a home, children, grand children, property, etc., etc.

For some reason, it seems to me, some partners demand and must control the other partner's beliefs. That's an impossible condition for a marriage.

Just me, but that's pre-teen behavior-childish -- throwing a fit demanding they get their way -- forcing the issue that someone comply, especially in issues of religion, disallowing any changes, etc. That kind of rigidity is destructive and very selfish. It's all about them, their way,not considering what they do to their own children.

Adults can compromise, negotiate, and be respectful, protect their investment in their lives and those in their family.
Judging from divorce rates, there are a lot of children playing house and ripping people's lives apart!

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 09:09PM

That is true in non TBM marriages where disbelief isn't apostasy and the breaking of an eternal covenant. If you don't buy the morgs BS it means you can not be together forever and have turned your back on gawd and your spouse. There is no wiggle room for disbelief.

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 10:57PM

I think your comment is important. My DH was never a control freak, he's a caring, patient man. That's why we made it thru all the cult crap and that's why he did not make a good Mormon

Date: March 10, 2011 09:31PM

You are one of the lucky ones that married an adult. If he had been a control freak like my ex, you may have not made it either. Good for him.

Posted by: jim1 ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 09:30PM

My wife was very tbm. I knew when I wanted out of the church our marriage would not work. As soon as I made the decision to be authentic, be true to my beliefs, I knew also that my marriage would end. We got divorced and I moved out to an apartment. I went through some challenging times with ex, family and friends. After a couple of years I met and married a woman with similar beliefs and never dreamed how wonderful a non-LDS marriage could be!! Was a tough decision and I feel for all those who are in this situation.

Date: March 10, 2011 09:33PM

Happy for you, a nice ending. Someone said they hated the effing church; me too. I do not really care about the divorce, but because of the GD brainwashing of the church, to which I contributed unknowingly, my relationship with my adult kids will never ever be what it was.

I mean we were close as you can be and now there is always fear and suspicion I feel on their part when they are around me and it hurts that they rarely ever call. I get no respect because I left.

I decided yesterday I am making a will and leaving all I have to my innocent grandkids. I will leave my kids nothing, but their kids will have a little money to start their lives with at age 25, unless, of course, the economy completely collapses before I die.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2011 09:40PM by think4u.

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 01:39AM

Yes I did...I just couldn't do the Mormon thing. I knew I couldn't. It ruined two lives when I left...he never remarried...I did which was a mistake. We have two boys together...he sees them whenever he wants to...no problems. He still waits for me..I still love him deeply.

stormy

Posted by: labdork ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 03:06AM

Yup... Smack dab in the middle of it right now. She’s a multi-generational TBM. I once had the optimism of youth... 3 Kids: 17/15/10. My anger driven intolerance of anything LDS (and most things religious) has destroyed any hope of a future together.

Posted by: larry john ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 10:55AM

My 2nd marrige,worthy of the temple, tho my ex got permission for another sealing, but I didnt, even tho the bishop felt that all will be well just take her to temple. But on that day
the pres of temple had to ring my ex 2am her time in morning
because monson an appostle then talking on speaker phone
direct to temple pres, said go ahead seal them if his first
wife gives permission..

Of course she didnt, and swore on the phone saying he should not get 2nd chance, and so we married civally around the corner
in stake centre after she screamed her head off in temple
feeling foolish to explain to all her family quests traveled
across the country for temple wedding.

The honey moon turned to shit and so did the sex as we
felt like shit, or rather she made me feel like shit
\ not knowing the facts and should not of bothered
loving her if cant marry in temple.

She later broke my nose in anger that I fucked up her
temple dream. I didnt press charges just felt sorry for
her and she fucked off out of my life.

Years later, now excomunicated by not rushing into marrige
but married later, approved of re-baptism while working
overseas, came back to australia only to be rejected by
new bishop who felt I had my chance and he created such
a scene by terminating me attending church using my
biopola depression illness as justified by revelation
that god has no time for mental illness in his boundary
it broke that marrige, fucked up re-baptism as by now
I would of been sealed to my last wife...

All shit hit the fan, I hit rock bottem became a drug addict
tho a good samariton stopped to help while a mormon modern
day fucking levite walked on by to temple and ignored me throwing salt in wounds, tho I discovered the real jesus

I learnt that christians catch the fish first and christ cleans them but mormons clean the fish first and the devil catches them..... I was never clean enough for mormonism not even in my filthy rags of rightousness nor was the fucking
bishop at the time.

I learnt that we enter into christ rightousness and deny our own rightousness and obedience and stop trying to earn heaven.

Mormonism is defenetly a cult, a glorified masonary mind controlling cult.it has led people to sucide. In fact that
bishops father who was a mission pres sent a man home
for a wet dream over his temple bride to be, that left him
so shunned and rejected he killed himself. A leader on
his presidency when a stake president killed himself.

This italian marfia mormon mob kept getting the callings
up the ladder to this day despite this shit and people
keep voting them in, stuck up arrogant tall with this son
of a bastard who fucked up my marrige and all hope.

Anyway doesnt matter, the church is not true anyway
and even if it was who would want to be in such a
arrogant shit relegion, where does not go after the one
lost sheep as even as I visited another stake boundary
the members who visited that day giving a talk about the lost sheep ignored me and shunned me and called the bishop to
warn me that I should go on my merry way, not welcomed
even in that stake. I then gave up on the church.

Every door was closed....Not fair that my first wife
who met an african on the net was given permission to be
sealed and I wasnt and still in the church today as snobby
as ever...

Pick and choose the church does who fits in and who does
not but christ turns no one away, tho the mormon christ
is shit a false one to the core.

get fucked mormonism....

Posted by: Anubis ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 11:52AM

MY wife and I (both BIC) had kids and everything inlcudeing a great relationship. I am researching egyptian and along comes the Book of Abraham then all the real history about Mormonism and that relationship crashes downhill.

The only saving grace for her is that she knew if she told the bishop or her family members divorce would have been the answer so she stuck it out but made me promise to go to church and play the act.

After a few months she starts asking for a divorce because she is getting tired of it all. God speaks to me and say for me to let her go. After helping her pack it dawns on her that 'why the hell would I leave a guy loving enough to help me and take care of me even at this hurtful time'. She takes up one of my books just to see my side of things and wham bam shes standing beside me on the day we write our exit letter to the church and TBM family both sides.....

Anubis

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 11:59PM

That's great! So many sad tales but not yours.

Posted by: coventryrm ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 03:10PM

Figuring out the Church was BS ...gave me the ability to see my marriage in all its dysfunction and I got the hell out of both ASAP..... Best thing I ever did and have never looked back or regretted it.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 11:00PM

She was BIC a generational mormon. I converted at ten. Married thirty years, five kids, all decent people, never asked her to leave the church, only to understand why someone would not believe. I never wanted to divorce and never asked for one or implied it. Decent relationship.

After a year and a half of her threatening to divorce me I told her that if that's what she wanted to get on with it and stop the constant threats. 19 years on the same wards/stake/area and not one soul in the church discussed squat with me. She practically lived with them. I can only imagine the advice she got but after 40 years of being taught what mormons teach/think about non-believers or apostates it really is no mystery.

So she divorced a perfectly good man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2011 11:02PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: Anon ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 11:33PM

My father divorced my nevermo mom after 30+ years of marriage. Walked out on her and my younger siblings.

Reason: "I deserve a temple marriage."

The drive for an eternal forever family is so strong that it is apparently okay to treat your real, live, breathing Earth families like total crap. And yes, the church and its member completely backed up his decision. I have more than strong suspicions they even encouraged it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.