Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 06:33PM

Mormons don't like pride. Partly I think this is because the KJV of the bible uses the word, when Hubris would have been closer to the original authors intent. I also think it is because that without pride, we are easier to manipulate. But let us talk about all the good forms of pride.

There is pride of ownership, which helps us keep our property in good condition longer.

There is pride in ones child, I know a few Mormons who say they don't have this, since pride is bad, though they do "feel happy for their kids."

There is pride in oneself, without this you can end up as a cult member.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: goatsgotohell ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 06:50PM

FBC! I can't believe you have forgotten ETB's great talk "Beware of Pride"!
http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=d8ff27cd3f37b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____

There is no good pride!

"Pride is a very misunderstood sin, and many are sinning in ignorance. (See Mosiah 3:11; 3 Ne. 6:18.) In the scriptures there is no such thing as righteous prideā€”it is always considered a sin. Therefore, no matter how the world uses the term, we must understand how God uses the term..."

There are lots of great suggestions in the talk on how to humble yourself. Sounds like you need to put on your baker's hat, visit the temple, and do some missionary work at the taco restaurant, FBC. You can also confess your sins and receive counsel and chastisement!

I hated this talk. Of course I took it very seriously and wanted to beat the pride out of me so I could be meek and humble. Whatever I beat out of myself has resurfaced with a vengeance. I am not a doormat for the LDS Church any more!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2012 06:51PM by goatsgotohell.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 05:35PM

I remember that lesson. They started out by asking is there any good pride. I responded yes and with the scripture: "This is my beloved son, in whom I am well pleased." Sounds like pride to me. I was ignored for the rest of the lesson as I had pointed out that ETB was wrong that there was no good pride.

Posted by: me ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 12:38PM

The talk also highlights ETB's own pride, and that of the holy 15.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 07:01PM

I think that's your meaning and I fully agree.

Posted by: Space Dust ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 02:07PM

Read Nietzsche's essay, "Good and Evil, Good and Bad" for a mercilessly contemptuous assessment of Christian "humility." There's nothing humble about quietly biding one's time and waiting for one's enemies to get it in the neck in the long run.

Mormonism's "humility", in particular, combines a *maximum* of arrogance with a *maximum* of pitiful transparency. How humble can a God-in-embryo possibly be who is confident of his own status, his own colossal future? Are to believe that Ezra Taft Benson gave that talk without even the most fleeting thought for his own impending, glorious ascension?

Show me the religious person who believes in humility and obedience not just in this life, but in the afterlife as well, and I just might believe his sincerity. Start a religion whose chief tenet is, "Practice poverty, meekness, and humility now, so you can be poor, meek, and humble for all eternity," and tell me how many disciples you attract.

Posted by: dot ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 09:48PM

I find TBM's the most prideful because they think they have all the truth, and all their truth come from the Holy Ghost. They don't have to look at facts or research. That's the epitome of pride.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 11:14PM

It's innate pride that keeps them from honestly considering counterarguments and defending their dogma.
ESPECIALLY the leaders!
There are, no doubt, many truly humble and contrite mormons who flaggelate themselves with the "gospel", but the higher you go in leadership status, the narcissism you see. Bishops are hit and miss, stake presidents are invariably full of themselves, and GAs...off the chart with their delusions of grandeur.

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 02:20AM

"Disenchanted angry young man, believe in yourself. Pride is something good for you".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgDabWLlzMs

Of course, I can't see any mormons taking advice from homosexual communists from Britain lol.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 02:25AM

Black & White 'thinking' strikes again.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 12:31PM

I like what OP said
"There is pride in oneself, without this you can end up as a cult member."

I suppose I've reclaimed my pride because I'm out. =)

On my last official talk with a newly called bishop, I was accused of pride, he even referred me to ETB's talk. I was no longer a TBM and I saw the manipulation. In my younger TBM years I would have felt so bad I would have done exactly what the bishop wanted me to do. I'm sure he thinks I am full of pride to 'return' to the fold. Or maybe I am. =)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.