Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AltaRica ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 11:36AM

Some posters here at RfM have voiced their disdain for the likes of John Dehlin, Joanna Brooks, and the fringe Mormon community in general. They find it bothersome that these people don't just get out of TSCC, since they should be able to see the light.

IMHO, I think that the fringe mo community provides a great service. Shortly after returning from my mission, I wouldn't have dared read RfM or other "anti" websites. However, I found a couple of "bloggernacle" sites that I enjoyed quite a bit. One thing led to another, and I progressed from the more mo-friendly blogs to the more "apostate" ones. First it was By Common Consent, then Mormon Mentality, then Wheat & Tares, then Feminist Mormon Housewives, and eventually I ended up here.

While many in the mo blogosphere are committed to staying true to TSCC, I think that a lot of readers and writers of those blogs are exmormons in embryo. Right now they may be content with the role of TSCC in their lives and the explanations they have for certain beliefs and practices, but eventually something will happen that will make the right light bulbs go off in their heads. Years from now, John Dehlin may be regarded as a hero in the ex-mo world.

Are there any other posters here who started out as faithful bloggernacle readers? If so, please share your story of how it helped you transition out of mormonism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2012 12:22PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ava ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 12:08PM

I'm a poster here and have also commented on (and frequently read) the bloggernacle, does that count?

There are many shades of gray in mormonism and mormon/former mormon sites on the internets. There isn't one true site.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 12:10PM

I would agree with this. I started at FMH and Wheat & Tares. I progressed to mormonthink - I believe because there was a mention of it on one of those blogs. Then I got here.

Posted by: romy ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 12:17PM

AltaRica Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> IMHO, I think that the fringe mo community
> provides a great service.

I agree. I think John Dehlin and others that toe the line help many see the light by being just safe enough to look at since they are still members but they are willing to go into territory that is foreign to most MOs. like JS's true practice of polygamy.

Posted by: AltaRica ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 01:02PM

Just curious, Susan, is there a reason why that particular website was removed from my post as opposed to the others?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.