Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 09:59PM

I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this. My parents are in their 80's. Do their member children's names still show up on their tithing settlement paper work?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jbstyle ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 11:28PM

I resigned when my Dad was 66 and I was 35, and he told me that he noticed it wasn't on the record at the tithing settlement that year, so I'm going to guess your name will be on their records forever.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 11:46PM

crap! I resigned last Nov. I don't have anything to do with parents. I wonder if they noticed.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 05:46PM

This is how the Mormon church rats you out. My parents saw it, and my father passive-aggressively emailed me a scan of the ordinance record. It was a long time before I realized that my confirmation date was blank. So was one of my brothers. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2012 05:46PM by Makurosu.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 11:36PM

Interesting question. I don't have any parents that are alive to have my name on a list as an adult child. Plus I don't pay any tithing anymore. I suppose my husband and I are the "parents" and our kids are on some list someplace. Some are members but most are not. The LDS Bookkeeping is of no value or importance to me, thank goodness!!

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 01:11AM

At tithing settlement the financial clerk will provide the bishop with the info about tithing for each individual family member within that particular family unit. That finance info doesn't have extended family info or membership history.

However, Bishops frequently use the tithing settlement time (since families are together with him then) to review their member records. Member records contain extended family info and history. So, it is the member records that one would be concerned about. These records can be reviewed anytime one meets with the bishop or clerk, which may or may not be at tithing settlement.

So... parents' and childrens' individual member records always show the relationship with each other regardless of the respective ages.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 12:56PM

Mine probably is...somewhere...although my tithe paying TBM Dad has been dead for 12 years...and I've never given the MORG a #@!$!#@$!# $.01....

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 01:31PM

This thing is why I confessed to my parents that I resigned. I didn't want them finding out from someone else, and I had heard some kind of evidence is possibly available at tithing settlement.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 05:40PM

As part of tithing settlement most wards have the members review their membership records for any errors. Included on the membership records is a list of children and their current membership status and maybe their baptismal date.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.