Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Made Guy ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 08:37PM

I left the morg six years ago. I don't recall ever hearing of that calling. Temple attendence must be suffering if they have to call people to get them in the temple

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 08:40PM

I recall the calling back in the 70's I think. Could have been before or later, I'm not sure. There were apts available for people to live in and spend most of their days doing the temple ordinance worker calling -- this was in the LA area as I recall.

Posted by: Robin ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 08:52PM

Older people that is.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 09:37PM

I just don't see how ChurchCo can continue to do business in the same way they have been / are currently.

Sure, they'll try to stretch things out among the faithful, and they're probably a long ways off from approaching a Critical Mass of people leaving, but I seem to sense that they're more worried now than they Ever have been about attrition. As the olders die off & reduce activity, they will certainly focus more on making sure the coming gen gets hooked.

Posted by: Made Guy ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 11:23PM

This is in Oklahoma. I looked at the stake directory online recently at LDS.org. Checked out three wards in the stake. There were many couples listed as temple ordinance workers in all three wards. I don't think this calling existed back when I attended. It was always tough to get people to go to the temple. It's 45 minutes away. But if they have to call people, attendance must be low.

Date: May 16, 2012 11:34PM

I think the same thing you describe happens in our area, but it's three times that far for the members to go to the temple. Takes a whole day, actually if they go to a couple of sessions. They do "call" individuals who are retired ... they tried to get hubby but he told them he couldn't do it.
Yes, I think they are hurting for people to do the temple work. I did a survey one time of the temple times and sessions and found that some were deleted. Lack of people.

Posted by: Odell Campbell ( )
Date: May 17, 2012 06:41PM

I live in Oklahoma City

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 11:33PM

Just to clarify - there is a difference between the Ordinance worker that serves in the temple in whatever capacity - helping during the sealing, directing people, checking clothes in and out, giving people their new name, serving at the veil etc. and people who are called to attend the temple once a week or twice a month or whatever. Being an Ordinance worker is a calling more like teaching Sunday School. I have heard reports about people being called to attend the temple but I don't know how widespread the practice is. If they are so short on names that they are having to reuse names to have enough for those who attend, I can't think why they are calling more people to attend. Maybe to make it seem like there are tons of people waiting to have their temple work done or something.

Date: May 17, 2012 10:28AM

CA girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From what I have heard reported in Sacrament talks by temple presidents, etc. over the last few years, there seems to be a big problem with all of it: not enough members go to the temple often enough, not enough people available to be temple workers on a part time basis.

Yes, there are different "callings" for temple workers. I've known several members that have done that regularly, or do it regularly, now. I assumed they were given a special calling.
I think the ones that used the apartments in the LA CA area were probably called on a temple worker mission of some sort. I don't know if they still do that though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2012 10:29AM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: May 17, 2012 10:47AM

My buddy who lives in Memphis is an EQ Pres and Ordinance Worker. When he got the temple "calling" he was asked to spend "some time" each week helping out. He says that with work and his other calling he gets to the temple 2-3 times per month to help, usually for about 3 hours each time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2012 10:47AM by Truthseeker.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: May 17, 2012 11:05AM

Here in Utah Valley I think this calling has been around for at least 10-15 years. That's how far back I personally know people with that calling - people in their 20s.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.