Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: May 20, 2012 10:04PM

Before I converted, I attended a general conference at a stake center via satellite.

The lighting was low. I had been primed by missionaries, friends and people from institute.

When GBH was speaking, it was black all around him and the lighting caused my eyes to focus on his bright white face.

He spoke calmly and confidently.

No meat...just a shitload of yummy milk.

The way my eyes focused and the way my perception changed (kind of sperate from body when depth perception, bright and dark get all muddled) I felt like he was talking just to me.

Now I see it for what it is. He actually was one of the better speakers. Monson ruins it by inflection and trying too hard.

It reminds me of an experience I had while on marijuana. (when the movies first came out on video...YEARS ago)

My friend and I got high then watched two movies.

"reign of fire" was amazing. Especially when post-apocalyptic people were putting on a play of star-wars.

"lord of the rings" sucked! You could see all of the behind the camera trickery. Low shots looking up to make people look taller and such.

Now, when I see gc talks, I see the attempted manipulation...(speaker talking and the burgandy seats fade to black and the camera zooms in).

What are yalls thoughts?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2012 10:11PM by Lost Mystic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: m ( )
Date: May 20, 2012 11:07PM

smoke and mirrors

http://www.bonneville.com/?nid=32 ( LDS owned)

Our unique strength is the ability to touch the hearts and minds of our audiences, evoking first feeling, then thought and, finally, action. We call this uniquely powerful brand of creative "HeartSell"® - strategic emotional advertising that stimulates response.

Here is Holland without the teleprompter with glasses on. Now he has to read everything- very different that General Con-Job
Big difference from the telepuppeteer setting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Clk_JNw1o

I wonder if Jesus had somes guys standing off to each side of him unrolling a papyrus as JC spoke to evoke feeling- thought and action

Posted by: Dances with Cureloms ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 09:16AM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 10:40AM

Thanks m - I was going to post the same information. The church makes no secret that it's communication "buddy" is an expert at manipulating peoples' emotions. Even missionaries know they are supposed to talk and pull stunts so their investigators can "feel the spirit." And despite knowing that emotions can be manipulated, Mormons still think they are a worthwhile way to discern the mind of God and the meaning of truth. It's kinda mindboggling if you think about it.

Posted by: davesnothere ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 10:59AM

The Church puts forth its best effort in presenting a professional, slick, polished and chocolate covered dog and pony show. It’s all about the presentation….you can sell anything if you chocolate coat it and package it in a pretty wrapping.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 12:43PM

I expected more of Hinkley's "I don't know if we teach that." Instead, Holland actually said that we look like Heavenly Father because we are his children, and children naturally look like their parents. He quoted the scripture about being "heirs of God, and joint-heirs of Christ." That's a hairline away from telling non-Mormons that Mormons believe we will become gods. I have to give Holland credit for actually being consistent and standing behind his beliefs.
I just wish I could have been there for the questions afterwards. I would have asked him whether "As man is, God once was. As God is, man may become" is his church's doctrine, or just a couplet. And if it's doctrine, why did Hinkley deny it?

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 02:10AM

No wonder its illegal, unless one has a prescription.

Hubby and I tried watching general CON-ference
while"under the influence".
It's amazing how one can see through the bs.
CON-ference became entertaining
for the first time in our collective lives.
BEST. CONFERENCE. EVER.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.