Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: m ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 11:18AM

Coincidence or?

Most MORMON States and the SUICIDE belt almost look the same
Who would of thought.. an for the nay sayers the suicide belt is not the sash worn in the Temple. :)

It has long been recognized that the inter mountain United States — Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico — has a higher suicide rate than the rest of the country, in what has been labeled the "suicide belt."[2] The reasons for this are not entirely clear, though numerous theories have been advanced.[3]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/21/most-and-least-mormon-states_n_1533973.html

http://en.fairmormon.org/Utah/Statistical_claims/Suicide_rate_among_Mormons

Antidepressants don't appear to work for most Utahns
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=1010&sid=15849609

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 11:23AM

When you spend every waking moment trying to be good enough, only to be told you're not, it's enough to make people suicidal and depressed.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 11:50AM

Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 12:17PM

I don't know if the high sucide rate is caused by mormons or the culture in those states. I'm not mormon but i live in utah. I try not to but i feel like i have the crippling effects of trying to be perfect. In utah you are expected to have the perfect family, ideal weight, nice house, car, clothes, ect. I do however think that the high sucide rate amongst gays is directly caused by mormonism

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 12:23PM

I think Mormonism has it's finger in many of these negative statistics. To ignore the culture and the finding and not look for a link would be negligent as a social scientist. Now there are probably other causes as well. Wages tend to be depressed in Utah and probably in some of these other right to work states. This makes for more family stress, marital stress, etc. Drinking tends to help many people relax, which is discouraged among Mormons. So there could be many causes.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 12:26PM

I do believe that Mormonism has a number of things that could push someone towards suicide.

However, I think the correlation of the suicide belt and Mormonism coinciding is fairly weak.

The problem is that the states with the highest suicide rates within those 5 states have the lowest percentage of Mormons.

Posted by: anonofthis ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 12:46PM

bc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The problem is that the states with the highest
> suicide rates within those 5 states have the
> lowest percentage of Mormons.

Uhh.. did you read the same articles I did?

You trying to tell me Utah, Arizona, New Mexico have the lowest
percentage of Mormons?... you work for fair?

Date: May 22, 2012 01:09PM

Wow, nice personal attack there.

Did you read what I wrote? Let me spell it out for you.

I said that WITHIN those states in the suicide belt those with the highest suicide rates have the lowest percent Mormons.

State Suicide Rate % Mormon
Montana 21 .8
Wyoming 20 1
New Mexico 19 .9
Arizona 16 5
Utah 14 38

Now look closely at the graph (I'm being a little patronizing here with your inability to read and going personal attack.) Notice that those with the highest suicide percentages have lower percentages of Mormons

Get it?

http://www-958.ibm.com/software/data/cognos/manyeyes/datasets/mormon-population-and-percentage-b/versions/1

If you still don't understand let me know and I'll try using smaller words or maybe make a bar graph for you or something.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 01:53PM

There is a high percentage of alcohol\drug abuse, poverty, sexual assault/abuse, domestic and child abuse....It's #3 in the rankings for suicide with AK being the highest.

http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/go/state-ranking

I've been here for two years now, and I can tell you, the people here are miserable.

Posted by: anonofthis ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 03:59PM

bc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> If you still don't understand let me know and I'll
> try using smaller words or maybe make a bar graph
> for you or something.

you have 24 opinions and apologies posted just today..

Debating you would be a waste of time in smaller words

that I would understand.

get out much?

Date: May 22, 2012 06:39PM

It's a slow day over here at fair. Steve is spending all his time arguing about Santa and not writing any good material we need to apologeticize

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.