Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dudeimmormon ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 07:44PM

You have to learn to love housework. I do!

It bothers me that you don't see the joy of homemaking.

We shouldn't say, "I am an actor" or "I am a writer." We should say "I am a parent who, when my children are taken care of, finds time to write."

I promised I would give everything I had to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. (not God? or Jesus?) No. It's the same thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mobegone ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 07:48PM

I hope I don't offend you, but have you carefully considered making this, "Things my ex-fiance says, vol. 1". If you're not even married yet, and you're coming onto an internet forum to deride the things your spouse-to-be says, I think that may be a bad sign....

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 07:49PM

I was about to say the same. I would be a bit more blunt "And you're marrying him?".

Date: March 10, 2011 07:51PM

Well, I'm trying to figure out if it's him that's the problem, or if it's me and I need to get over it.

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 07:52PM

No woman needs to hear this. No woman deserves to be demeaned. Told that she can only define herself as a mother and nothing else. And I find it very demeaning that he tells you that you must learn to love housework. He's gotta help too. This ain't the 50's!

Date: March 10, 2011 07:54PM

He's not the type to not help--he's already better at keeping house than I am--which is part of the problem. I can't just denounce him as a sexist pig. He just really believes the stay-at-home-mom thing.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 08:10PM

Each relationship needs balance. Your not a stay at home Mother type but he might be the stay at home dad type. He has to realise that himself. He's the one that loves housework maybe he's built for it.

Posted by: quoth the raven nevermo ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 08:40AM

dudeimmormon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He's not the type to not help--he's already better
> at keeping house than I am--which is part of the
> problem. I can't just denounce him as a sexist
> pig. He just really believes the stay-at-home-mom
> thing.

Then he needs a stay at home kind of wife who wants to be a stay at home mom or one who agrees to have her personality cancelled out and will become what he wants.

You are not the one for him. Read the thread that confusedgirl wrote about her fiancee. She ended the engagement because she could not become a mindless morgbot. Your fiancée wants a woman who will do as she is told. What he really wants is a well trained dog.

Posted by: mobegone ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 07:56PM

Some great pre-marital advice I got: "When you go into a marriage, you have to assume that when it comes to the negatives, your spouse will never change. Don't go in expecting you can change them, you may end up sorely disappointed."

So if you aren't OK with the very real possibility that he will NEVER change from expecting you to be barefoot and pregnant, keep house, give everything your family has to TSCC, and put your interests and goals behind the church and motherhood, then you'd better get out quick.

Posted by: Jenny ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 10:13PM

You seem ready to take responsibility for his perceiving your normal traits as faults and I feel for you on that.

Let me just say this (with a bit of a wink ; ): IF YOU MARRY THIS GUY I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN, KICK YOU IN THE SHINS, AND BOP YOU UPSIDE THE HEAD.

He doesn't sound like a bad guy. It's just not a fit. You know this and you keep trying to fit the square peg into the round hole. You keep questioning and rolling different ideas around and you may even know where you're headed on this.

Here's what my husband (my second, because the first one was made with both of us thinking the other was going to change) says: Most decisions are made instantly; it just takes time to justify them.

Best of luck in your decision! You've certainly gotten a lot of good input here!

Posted by: zarahemwhat ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 04:10AM

dudeimmormon Wrote:
> Well, I'm trying to figure out if it's him that's
> the problem, or if it's me and I need to get over
> it.

Good thing he's still just a fiance!!!! Please stop completely discounting your own feelings. Give yourself some respect! If you can't even respect yourself you will get walked all over by this guy. Are you really into the idea of giving up your dreams and goals for something you're not really into? Do you think you should change yourself as a person for someone else's wishes? For a church? Seriously... think long and hard before going through with this.. the quotes sent a chill down my spine, don't take this crap lying down.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 09:19AM

dudeimmormon Wrote:
> Well, I'm trying to figure out if it's him that's
> the problem, or if it's me and I need to get over
> it.

Well, let me help you with that.

It's him.

It ain't you.

Problem figured out. Now, go dump this jerk before it's too late.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 07:51PM

"Things my ex-husband used to say while we were engaged."

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 07:54PM

Someone who is finding time to write, isn't cleaning enough Church TOILETS!!!

DON'T YOU STEP OUT OF LINE!

DON'T YOU STEP OUT OF LINE!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 09:09PM

These statements sound odd, bizarre to you, right?

Let me guess, you are not a match -- not even in the same book, let alone the same page.

Why are you getting married to someone who says things that are so crazy-making?

You are signing up to be a candidate for your fiance to "fix" you to be exactly what he wants, going so far as to tell you how to phrase a sentence to please him!

Let me be blunt. Have you lost your mind?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2011 11:53PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 09:16PM

RUNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!! RUN LIKE UNTO THE WINDDDDD!!!!!!! >:oO

Go. That is scary s**t.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 10:13PM

Better get your " Mother's little helper" scripts in economy size if you marry this guy.

Posted by: exmowife ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 01:07AM

Are you aware that your opinion of yourself counts more than his in your life? I too am on my second marriage (and it had nothing to do with the Mormon Church), but mental illness played a very large roll. If you have these thoughts, and more if this is only volume 1, then at the very least you should postpone the wedding to give yourself time to determine who you are and what you want to do with yourself. Nothing says you have to turn your back on him if there truly is a great relationship. But, as the others said, do not go in looking to change the other person as it will not happen the way you want it to.
Good luck, write often if that is what you desire and follow your instincts, you will be lead to a very happy heart.

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 01:27AM

GAG...Might as well hang up any dreams you have right now and make friends with Mr. Clean...while debating which diaper you'll be using. These are challenging choices and that's about as challenged as you will ever be.

Ask him how he likes housework...bet that flops.

It's not you it's him...RUN

stormy

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 03:56AM

Some people are just chauvinist pigs, and they are attracted to or stay in the Church because it reinforces thinking they already possess. It sounds like your fiancé belongs in the Mormon church. Do you?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 04:27AM

A woman's place is in the home
A woman's role is to bear children, lots of children
A women should obey her husband
Things a man should regularly say to his wife, I love you, I'm sorry and we can't afford it

Not my view, but those are the views the Church will be promoting to your fiancé...

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 09:39AM

What do you think about his promises to give everything he has to his church. If you get married that would include the things you have in common. Are you o.k. with that?
Do you want your life and self-worth to be defined by your husband and child, or do you have worth because of you? He is following a philosophy that a women's worth is because of her children. Do you agree with this? If you don't/can't have children do you not have worth?
He is trying to tell you what he expects of a marriage and life, now is the time to talk about it. This is a very important step in seeing if you are compatible. If you do not agree with things like this maybe marriage is a bad idea.
I have a friend-female who did agree with his ideas. She married a man who didn't, he didn't want kids, he wanted her to work or do activities outside of the home. She was miserable because she wasn't able to do what she thought was important. He was miserable because she was unhappy and she kept pressuring him for lots and lots of kids. They eventually divorced.

Posted by: UnfortunatelyAnon ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 06:54AM

I'd like to apologize to the board for posting, since it's 6AM, I've been up all night, and I can never add my 2 cents without making it into an essay. I'm sorry for inflicting my brain vomit upon yall.
-------->
"You have to learn to love housework. I do!"

In my mind, that could potentially also translate to, "Let's put a positive spin on a set of chores that is rather irritating." Since I don't personally know your fiance, I would have no way of knowing for sure if that little gem was motivated by honest to god chauvinism or not.

"It bothers me that you don't see the joy of homemaking."

On the one hand, I've noticed that men gain a sense of well-being from being nurtured in little ways by the women in their lives. Personally, if a sandwich is going to perk a guy up after a bad day, I don't have a problem with breaking out the mayo. And I find it kind of heart-warming to see the "Dawwww, thank you!" expressions on a man's face when he's given some home cooking.

On the other hand, it's not up to him as to whether you're a homemaker or not. If you want to be, cool. It's your decision and it should be respected by men and women alike. The same goes for if you *don't* want to be a homemaker. He doesn't have the right to attempt a case of the guilties.

"We shouldn't say, 'I am an actor' or 'I am a writer.' We should say 'I am a parent who, when my children are taken care of, finds time to write.'"

It's a nice sentiment, if idealistic, but people take on many roles in their lifetimes. People's lives change in beautiful and amazing ways when they become parents, but they rarely stop being the people they were before. Hugh Jackman, for instance, is Super-Dad. But he's also an actor. He's a husband. Presumably, he also has extended family, so he's a friend. He is all those things at once and draws on each as needed. Who we are is pretty malleable and doesn't need to be defined strictly by any one thing (this is not to diminish the importance of parents in any way).

"I promised I would give everything I had to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. (not God? or Jesus?) No. It's the same thing."

I'd say I have no words...but if you're still reading this post, you know that's not true!
Aside from the obvious fallacy inherent in basically stating that a religion is the same as a deity, all kinds of theories are springing to mind. Does this mean that TSCC is worshiped by its members instead of a higher power? (Cynics such as myself would say yes.) If one does worship a religion (or say, a temple), in place of an actual deity, does that count as having "false gods?"

I know a lot of people are telling you to run for the hills here. If his religion takes precedence in his life over you and your life together, then you may have to make a hard choice. But really--I don't know you, I don't know him, and you're probably with him for a reason. I hope that whatever happens, it turns out well for the both of you.

Posted by: dane ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 07:40AM

If you haven't already given this pig the boot, you are in way over your head. You need to find your self respect and self nuturing. (Either that or get the store and buy yourself a life time supply of anti-depressants).

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 08:47AM

All I can say is GET THE HELL OUT!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 08:47AM by imalive.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 08:58AM

I'm a guy with a stay-at-home-mom wife, and I would never even dream about saying things like that to her or anyone else. Even as a TBM, I wouldn't have said those things. And just to let you know, she hates it, too. She hates housework, she hates cleaning, she hates doing laundry. Homemaking is a thankless job (unless the husband is sensitive enough to do the thanking) with no paycheck.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.