Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Walking in Darkness ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 03:26PM

in the gift of tongues and the interpretation of tongues. Why isn't this part of the 13 AOF being practiced anymore? Does the Morg still teach the articles of faith in it's Sunday School classes? Is the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing and the interpretation of tongues only to be practiced by the higher ups? Inquiring minds (mine mostly) want to know. My understanding is that speaking in tongues was quite common in the early church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 03:27PM

<afaik>
the current spin is missionary work, rapid and/or spontaneous understanding & speaking of foreign languages.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 03:42PM

I like that you say "the current spin". If that phrase does not sum up the future of mormonism then I don't know what does.

Geez, I'd forgot about the whole belief in the gift of tongues thing... how archaic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2012 03:42PM by blueorchid.

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 04:08PM

My patriarchal blessing says I have the gift of tongues and of prophesy, the prophesy thing is weird for a female. But, yeah, we sat down and talked first about my life and my interests. I was taking French in highschool and told him that. I was always told gift of tongues was another way of saying gifted at learning languages.

Incidentally, regarding the gift of prophesy, the night before my grandfather died, I dreamt, very vividly that he was dead. I woke up crying desperately for my grandfather. The next day, he was dead. It is another matter entirely that the patriarch was possibly a "sensitive," you know, with a sixth sense, and he saw that I have premonitions. I have them all the time. Not always as significant as this, but it happens.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 04:47PM

For many years "speaking in tongues" or glossolalia was practiced routinely in Mormondom. I read an account from the 1800's:

"During our testimomy meeting, Brother so-and-so spoke in tongues, then Brother whatsit translated."

This goofy stuff is part and parcel of revivalist/charismatic Christian theology and Old Peepstone Joe incorporated it into his mishmash doctrine.

I think they stopped doing it because it appears naive and undignified. They apparently want worship to be plain, pious and undemonstrative. Just sit still and listen. The most you'll get is some woman blubbering during her testimony as the bish hands her a box of kleenex.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.