Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Secular Priest ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 06:24PM

True: I went to the urologist today for a yearly checkup for kidney stones. Everything was okay. But this was a great example of faith vs science. In the exam room hung the certificates of learning for this doctor. 3 years post grad work. As a Mormon, there is a big problem right there. Too much worldly learning!

First exam. Prostate. Bend over and you know the rest.

Doctor: Everything feels smooth and okay. Nothing seems out of place.

Me: Can't be. I grew up in the Church and was told if I played with my little factory that as I got older I would have nothing but problems. And I have a testimony that these things were told to me by prophets of God.

Doctor: There is nothing wrong with your prostate. Everything is okay for a 67 year man.

Me: I have a testimony that that can't be right. A prophet of God told me that bad things would happen to me if I played with my little factory.I have sinned all my life and in the sight of God and I know I must be punished.You are wrong. Something must be wrong.I know what I was told was true.

Now that conversation did not take place but I thought back to those teen age years when I was told at priesthood conference that bad things would happen if we played with your little factories.So who was right, prophets or doctors?

Second example is better than the first.

Dr: Did we do a bladder exam?

Me: No

Dr: We will do one now.

Me: Well I have to pee.

Dr: Good we will do a before and after.

Does the before exam. I go pee. I know I am empty. Does an after exam. There are 2 ounces of fluid remaining.

Fantasy conversation but it shows the science vs faith thinking.

Dr: Your bladder is not empty, you have 2 ounces of fliud left in it. No problems as that is normal.

Me: You are wrong. I know it is empty. I stood there like I have done all my life and I know when it is empty. I have a testimony that there is no more pee to come out.

Dr: Our machine shows 2 ounces left in the bladder.

Me: That can't be right. I have a feeling that my bladder is empty and I know when I have that feeling my bladder is empty. Your machine and stuff must be wrong.

This is how we sound to the public when mormons talk about faith vs science.

Who am I to tell a doctor or scientist they are wrong just because I have feelings and have been told by a prophet this is the way it is?

The above example is just what Elder Holland wants Church members to do. What an idiot!!!

I am glad that my doctor has the facts. I am glad that he knows what I do not know. I am glad that he has studied more than I have.

Comments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hellrazor ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 11:08PM

Giving up the use of the brain, logic, and sense was one of many things I didn't agree with as a TBM. I figure the greyish-pink thing in the human head is capable of too many things to be ignored.
"Faith should ignore facts"- this statement should have people competing for the Darwin Award, not following a cult.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.