Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ihidmyself ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 11:14PM

video together that talks about his reason for leaving. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VIFParr5OY

You can tell just by looking at his video that he simply doesn't belong as a mormon. But my question is WHY NOT??? He is one of the coolest, most interesting people I have ever met. He's DIFFERENT. He's definately someone who marches to the beat of his own drum but even his superhuman lack of concern for other people's opinions of him was eventually beaten done by the narrow-mindedness of our ward members.

We used to be in that ward (Alex and I were neighbors) and I remember whenever the subject of blacks and the priesthood came up he would raise his hand and say "The ONLY reason blacks were not allowed the priesthood was RACISM, pure and simple." After one of his outbursts I told him (and I meant it), "Alex, I don't ever want to go to another Sunday School meeting unless you're there." How cool was it that someone, who LOVED the church (and I think maybe still does), had the courage to tell them when they were wrong? (I look at Alex's courageous example as one of my own stepping stones out of the church).

I KNEW he didn't fit in, but my wife and I liked and admired him for that. There was no one better to sit with at ward parties. Now, to watch this video where he talks about how much "community" means to him, and how he was not allowed to be part of that community that he felt so much love for, it breaks my heart, and you can tell it broke his.

More than anything, I believe it is the loss of good people like Alex that will eventually bring the church down.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 11:53PM

so alex is a exmormon? is he still alive?

Date: May 30, 2012 09:50AM

Idon't think he actually resigned. He just doesn't go anymore and hasn't for years.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 12:12AM

Tell us more about him. They didn't just ex him for being him, did they?

I find him fascinating! I'm also a personality that doesn't blend in with today's ultra-conformist brand of Mormonism. I remember as a child, many "oddballs" and characters in my small Idaho community who were loved and included, their differences actually added spice to the community.

Today it's all about toeing the line.. dressing alike, acting alike and behaving in Sunday school by not asking any challenging questions. I've tried it. You get brushed off and shut down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2012 12:15AM by rationalguy.

Date: May 30, 2012 10:21AM

At the ward christmas party he would read "The Night before Christmas" backwards with all the proper intonations and expressions so you could tell where he was in the story.

He used to perform at Borders book store playing his bongo drums and wearing a beanie. I told him once that I think he can best be described as a 60's era mormon beatnik. He thought that was funny and pretty accurate.

At Borders he would beat on his bongo drums, recite a line or two of his poetry, then beat on the drums some more. The only line I remember (with a very intense look on his face): "The NIPPLE (dramatic pause) told me EVERYTHING!"

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 12:29AM

That guy is the kind of person you NEED in any community. I could gather that from six minutes with him. If there's any proof that there is a God, it's that He could see the need for people like Alex in the world to keep us from wandering too far from the truth.

Thanks for the video. Seriously.

Posted by: no room on the back row ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 01:42AM

Here's the thing. In years past, there was room for the Alex's in the ward. It use to be okay to be different if you were Mormon. Now, times have swung the other way and LD$ brand demands conformity so the Alex's get either marginalized to the sidelines or squeezed out. It is so sad that individuals cannot keep their individuality.

Date: May 30, 2012 10:04AM

talked bad about these people and always accepted them. I find it sad that they are in effect cast out simply because they are different.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 03:09AM

Brother Caldiero, we have noticed that you not only wear a beard, but that you did not wear a white shirt to Sacrament Meeting last Sunday. Brother Caldiero, how do you think Jesus feels when he sees someone who doesn't fit in to his Church? Our inspired prophets have given us guidelines for dress and grooming as well as comportment. Remember, you are representing the Church every minute of every day.

Oh, Brother Caldiero, about your poetry--couldn't you write something more uplifting? Something more on the lines of Edgar A. Guest but with a gospel theme?

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 10:02AM

Alex is a unique and special guy. I think his wife is still a believer and he occassionally attends to support her. But no way is he still a believer.

http://vimeo.com/13867481

Every UVU student should take one of his courses. I especially recommend his course on the Beat Generation or Iconology or Language as the Most Dangerous Possession.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2012 10:06AM by caedmon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.