Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ihidmyself ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 11:33PM

I had a born again friend who once told me that his idea of heaven was to walk hand in hand with Jesus forever. I was too stunned to think what to say.

The Muslim men think that heaven includes 73 virgins and they will be able to indulge in every vice they weren't allowed in this life. I'm not sure what the women's idea of heaven is.

The Hindus have some idea about "nirvana" as the ultimate heaven where you lose all desire.

Catholics? I'm not sure unless maybe it has something to do with harps and singing.

Mormons think they will go to a polygamous Celestial kingdom,(how's that sounding sisters?) and thereby be separated from their Telestial and Terrestrial family members and friends (which I'm guessing will be most everyone). They will supposedly become gods but they'll have to do EVERYTHING the current god tells them to do, they'll be constantly watched and they'll have to report back on everything they've done. And if you don't like white you're totally screwed.

So what's the point of arguing over which religion is true when none of us really want to go wherever these people THINK they are going?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2012 11:59PM by Ihidmyself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 11:35PM

Heaven for me would be what it is now, minus sickness, suffering, death and boredom!

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 11:47PM

Good news, there is in fact a great heaven and it is call Valhalla. There you will never have to work again, we get to drink plenty of alcoholic beverages while feasting on some sweet food and having sex with awesome people. You will also get to fight battles were all the dead and wounded are raised up and made whole at the end, so I imagine it is a lot like capture the flag tournaments, but with swords.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 11:47PM

I don't know what there is after death for us, but whatever it is can be discovered in one, and only one way. By dying. Anyone who tells us otherwise is BSing.

Posted by: Robin ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 11:55PM

Mine has the people I love. My pets. Great views. Good coffee and bookstores.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 12:04AM

It would be nice if I could have my motorcycle there too. I'd have to get some tires that worked well on streets of gold, I guess.

Posted by: wisewoman ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 12:05AM

I had a near death experience. It has taken me a long time to begin to talk about it. There was nothing Mormon about it.

Date: May 31, 2012 12:06AM

Posted by: pamarnold ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 12:07AM

I think my heaven would include sitting by a lake with my dad fishing for catfish and drinking a beer.

Date: May 31, 2012 09:46AM

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 12:09AM

The people in Mormon hell will be a lot more interesting.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 02:23AM

It's a sure sign of fraud.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 02:34AM

Give me 72 bad girls instead of virgins and I'll take the Muslim heaven.

They all sound so elementary. The Mormon version LITERALLY sounds like an eternity of the same s*** you deal with on the earth. If I boinked Spirit Wife #27 and popped out a Spirit Boyd K. Packer and then had to favor that little weasel above the likes of a Trey Parker, Chris Rock, or Frankie Van Zant... thats not heaven. That's hell.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 04:37AM

Well, I agree that the Mormon heaven sounds like Hell!

I think we create our own heaven, somehow. Have you ever seen the movie, "What Things May Come", or something like that? It stars Robin Williams, and it is about the hereafter. I will spoil the ending, a little, by telling you that he approaches an idyllic cottage across a meadow, and is greeted by his dog who died.

"In my father's house are many mansions," Christ is quoted as saying in the Bible. He emphasizes this further by saying, "If it were not so, I would have told you!"

There is a special mansion for each one of us. Anyway, that's what I believe, and I'm sticking to it.

Posted by: footdoc ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 08:23AM

Valhalla sounds pretty fun, kinda like playing paintball everyday, getting drunk afterwards and doing the same the next day... but with swords...

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 08:30AM

Any kind of heaven where there is no end I think would ultimately become a hell. I haven't heard yet of an afterlife that answers that for me. I'm honestly okay with just this life and then the legacy that we leave behind.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 08:34AM

Anything that lasts for eternity is going to eventually be hell. Once curiosity and learning and developing oneself is out, groundhog's day is all we have left.

Can a god kill itself?

(I see that Mak was thinking the same thing)

If we could create an afterlife in which we play the Matrix over and over without knowing all that we know, we might find more amusement in it than harping in heaven forever.

There's even some evidence that we may be there now.

See http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,514199,514199#msg-514199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2012 08:36AM by Jesus Smith.

Posted by: Ponti ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 09:12AM

the CK is going to be anything but "heaven" for you. If your husband in life was not good enough for the CK or if you were never married, you'll be assigned to a CK husband. My elderly mother spends a portion of her years working in the Temple, and I often tease her that instead of being wife 561, she will be reduced to wife 261 for her temple service. She is not amused, but it's true if you really believe it - that's what they teach.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 09:29AM

If I live long enough, there will come a time when I've just had enough. I can see that coming now.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 09:39AM

They've all got it wrong. It is the product of the thinking of men, intended to control other men.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 09:57AM

and I'd get to spend time visiting Weasleys ocassionaly.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.