Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jezebel2mishies ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 10:37AM

You know, I noticed an interesting difference in the way adult men and women are baptized.

I was baptized 4 years ago. Right before my own baptism, I went to another woman's baptism. Shortly after my baptism, I went to see a man get baptized.

Since that time, I've gone to a number of baptisms for men and women alike (have never gone to a child's,though.)

I always notice one stark difference. At men's baptisms, they are asked to get up and speak, and bear their testimony. Women, however, are not.

Had the man's baptism been the first I had seen, it would have made all the difference in the world.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Robin ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 10:43AM

Posted by: jezebel2mishies ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 10:59AM

That thread inspired this one. Like I said, I've been in the church for 4 years, so I'm well aware of all those things. You'd have to be blind or in terrible denial not to see those things after 4 years' time. I can tell you a few things that aren't on that list, that men might not notice, but I don't have time now to list them all.

All I'm asking, is if my baptismal experiences are unique to my ward, or another thing to add to that list?

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 10:59AM

I was baptized in 2009. Women getting baptized did "bear there testimony" I didnt want to, and didn't.
In the earlier thread is mentioned women not being able to give the opening prayer in sacrament meeting. I did,aand so did many others.
I suspect it's one of thoses "regional" differences and not a actual rule.

That's another thing that bothered me, the rules varied from ward to ward.
You'd think the one true church would have those things sorted out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2012 10:59AM by nomilk.

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 11:09AM

When I was in a Bishopric I'd ask the Ward ML to ask the new convert to speak, and it never was a question in my mind of whether or not they were male/female. However after I became an "unbeliever" but continued to function in this role for several months I stopped making such requests and I actually stopped attending baptismal services as they only made me mad.

Posted by: Robin ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 11:10AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.