Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Observer ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 01:22PM

In my quest, I find more proof that there is no after life, or that we have been created by a God. At the same time... Is it only me or does anyone else finds the human body so beautifully in order that it becomes hard to understand how we could be such beings and had been created out of nothing? We are such wonderful creatures... your comments... I wait

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 01:25PM

First of all, we aren't some perfect pinnacle of creation. Our bodies have so many flaws it isn't even funny.

Secondly, when the hundreds of billions of years of evolution are actually taken into account -- well, it's not a surprise to me at all.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 01:52PM

Start with your initial assumption that humans were "created out of nothing." Read some Darwin. Note that homo sapiens shares about 97% of our DNA with Chimpanzees, which points to a common ancestor. Go from there.

Posted by: lancepeters ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 02:03PM

-I find more proof that there is no after life: I AGREE

-We have been created by a God: I AGREE

-How could we have been created out of nothing?: I AGREE

-We aren't some perfect pinnacle of creation. Our bodies have so many flaws it isn't even funny: I AGREE

-When the hundreds of billions of years of evolution are actually taken into account -- well, it's not a surprise to me at all: I AGREE

The interesting thing here is both sets of ideas might prove to be true afterall. The world is very very old, I do not believe in a personal God but I do believe that there may be a God that acts as a "first mover" or the one who put things in motion. I also agree that it is hard to think of how we came from nothing. This is where it gets interesting. I was reading a scientific journal on quantum physics last week, and there was an article by a theoretical quantum physicist that explained how it may be within the laws of nature that we did actually come from absolutely nothing; that is, he claims that nothingness may have produce what we can substance today. He didn't argue this from a "God" or religious standpoint, but he argued this from the stance of quantum physics and the universe that we don't see. If I remember the article that I read with this study, I'll link it here becuase its a fascinating find. The basis of much of quantum theory relies on the fact that our human sensory organs are unable to perceive everything that is in our universe. For example, a bug's eye sight might zero in on things that our site is not suited for. Just as dogs can smell things that humans can't sense. If apply this same pricinple to the universe, both small and large things, then at the very very small level, assuming that there were an insect so small that it was smaller than a quark (one of the many very small particles in physics), then perhaps this small insect would sure view the world in a different manner and may even have different laws of physics governing its life even though this same bug lives on planet earth. This is why quantum physics is so damn important. Its by studying this that theorized the existence of anti-matter and specifically these days, they are searching for the higs boson in attempt to finalize their "standard model" of the universe. The point is, that we understand only what we see and experience at our level of what physicists call "middle earth" (I know, sounds like Lord of the Rings). So, in order to pain the bigger picture, we also must paint the smaller picture and this is where phsicists have been able to theorize that the universe could have been born from nothingness.

To demonstrate this point, here's a short cartoon on quantum physics that is very very interesting. Although its a cartoon in the video, this experiment is very very real. Its similar to the experiments being conducted of particle interactions that show at very large distances, miles and miles, there is entaglement between certain particles so that one effects the other at a large distance even though both particles are smaller than an electron. Physicists call this "Spooky action at a distance." So, with that said, we know very little about our universe, but each day we learn more and the more we learn the more we realize how much we don't know, and while we have no proof we came from nothing, we are approaching a time now where math and science is advancing so rapidly that we should know within the next few decades or sooner:

"Double Slit Experiment"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 02:48PM

Our sinus cavities - a running, drippy orifice - are located upside down over our mouths. NOT an efficient or sanitary design. In fact, the sinus only drains best when a person is on all fours.

Which I guess provides more proof that we evolved to walk upright, and weren't created that way.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 03:21PM

the human body may look great from the outside, but it's full of junk DNA, design flaws and vestigial structures
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestigiality#Humans
http://www.psrast.org/junkdna.htm

an analogy would be a beautiful, elite, top-of-the-range sports car, but when you look under the hood, you find a souped up lawnmower engine, a few hundred wheels and cogs that spin, but have no function and a crumpled up copy of a blueprint for a model T ford

Posted by: lancepeters ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 03:40PM

There is no God: (logical proof by David Hume)

"There is an evident absurdity in pretending to demonstrate a matter of fact, or to prove it by any arguments a priori. Nothing is demonstrable, unless the contrary implies a contradiction. Nothing, that is distinctly conceivable, implies a contradiction. Whatever we conceive as existent, we can also conceive as non-existent. There is no being, therefore, whose non-existence implies a contradiction. Consequently there is no being, whose existence is demonstrable."

Posted by: barney ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 03:43PM

I recently had the good fortune to see Neil DeGrasse Tyson discuss "10 Ways The Universe Is Trying To Kill Us". Very informative, very entertaining. At one point he made a statement that I'll paraphrase. He suggested that if we were created by a god, we wouldn't have to breathe and eat through the same orafice. After all, dolphins have blowholes, thus can breathe and eat at the same time. Also, and my favorite, when referring to the area between one's legs, he asked why a divine being would place an fun zone next to a sanitation plant. Makes you think!

Posted by: Aaron Hines ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 04:47PM

On a related note, why would God give us the ability to experience sexual pleasure by hundreds of different forms of stimulation, but then forbid us from using all but one or two of them?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 04:18PM

It's hard for us to step outside ourselves, but I think it's sometimes necessary in order to get perspective.

For example, we don't want to die. We don't want to be separated from the people we love. So the idea of an afterlife is VERY appealing. But does that mean it actually exists?

Since I'm a human, I'm inclined to think humans are pretty important in the big picture. I'm inclined to think we're pretty damned special, even exceptional. That makes me feel better than being just another life form on this planet, or just another life form in a universe which is just one of many universes.

My existence is very important to me, right? So wouldn't it be great if I were equally as important to, oh, some omnipotent being? That's much more gratifying than being the product of chance.

Let's say there is a creator. Why should we think we're important to that creator? We could be just a byproduct, like sawdust is a byproduct of building a house. But that doesn't make our egos happy, does it.

See what I'm saying? We want a lot of things to be true. Maybe even our mental health needs them to be true. But that doesn't mean they are.

As for our beautifully ordered bodies -- they work because we wouldn't exist if they didn't. Nothing on this planet, in this universe would exist if it didn't work in the existing circumstances. Random mutations keep generating variations in life forms. The variations that don't work don't survive, leaving the ones that do work. We humans are just one of millions of ways of surviving in the existing conditions. We just happened to end up with brains big enough to imagine things that don't exist and to convince ourselves those things are real.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 04:49PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.