Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lancepeters ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 01:15PM

You know, I have to admit, sometimes I just love BYU. I'd say about twice a week I either hear or see something completely asinine or, even better, I learn the truth of another Mormon Myth. This one is curtesy of an Economics professor who, for whatever reason, is teaching a history of philosophy course this summer.

So, as many of you probably remember, Kim Clark, the former Presidet of Harvard University, was called, in 2005, by Gordo Hinkley to step down from his position at Harvard to take over operations at BYU Idaho. The following link explains the story incase you forgot:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/600139615/Harvard-dean-named-to-head-BYU-Idaho.html

From 2005 onward, I've always be told that Kim Clark's move was a huge sacrifice for himself and his family. I heard that how he had to really ponder and pray about this move. I heard that he would be taking a huge pay cut by moving from Harvard to BYU Idaho. Even better, many members still talk about Kim Clark, pegging him as a true modern day saint, a similitude of King Alma; that is, a man who stepped down from his high reign to answer the call of the Lord.

Unfotunately, this story is far from true. While yes he did steop down from Harvard and he did take a position at BYU Idaho, this move wasn't a sacrifice, according to my professor in yesterday's class. My professor informed us that Kim Clark actually received a substantial pay raise when compared to Harvard and that he himself was looking to leave Harvard anyways. In addition, my professor mentioned that Kim Clark is doing much much better since his move and the move was never to be considered a sacrifice. I guess this is one of those times that we can sit back and question WTF? Why the tesimony from Gordo Hinkley on this, whty the story of Kim Clark's greatness. WTF?

Anyway, I find it fascinating that the more we learn about the church the less we actually know about their true intentions. I guess my problem is overestimation of their intentions because it is so blatantly obvious that they are just a bunch of greedy bastards.

I'll leave you with a positive note. If you want to inspire change in the church all you have to do is popularize more crazy Mormon doctrines, then when the media gets a "wiff" of the growing popularity of the crazy Mormon doctrine it will become mainstream media at which point Thomas Monson will use his emergency "batman phone" to Jesus and Joseph Smith's spirits thereby approving doctrinal changes in the church. So, do you want the word of wisdom reversed? Then think of a novel way to present it to the media like: "Thomas Monson tells the youth to never masterbate, he says that by doing so, I be filled with the spirit of the lord. He told me that when I masterbate, Satan posesses my genatalia and then becomes brothers with Satan."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dk ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 01:26PM

I assume the cost of living is much less in Idaho than in Mass.

Posted by: S. Tissue Trotter ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 01:32PM

He was not the former "Presidet" of Harvard. Nowhere near.

Date: May 31, 2012 01:35PM

Yes, this is a factor, but this wasn't a conversation on Kim Clark's ability to increase his "consumption power" while holding constant his income. The professor's comments were very specific that he received "a substantial increase in income." Correct me if I am wrong, but an increase in income is NOT an increase in one's ability to increase consumption while holding constant income. My conclusion that he received an increase in income is obviously based on Occum's razor of choosing the simple explanation over something more cryptic. At the end of the day. with the amount of lies that are spewed from the pulpit by the fifteen false prophets of the mormon churh, I'd say that, more than likely, I am dead on in my interpretation of that my professor stated.

Date: May 31, 2012 02:04PM

Yep, the church pays him very well, according to my professor. I mean you can believe that he's not being paid as well, but I would venture to guess that there is some truth to what my professsor claims.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 01:43PM

"From Harvard to where? Some two-bit religious school in Bumf#ck Idaho?"

Posted by: Anonathon ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 06:39PM

Hey---I resent that remark, being one of the proud former inhabitants of said Bumf*&k. We prefer to call it "Sexburg."

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 02:36PM

My mother does crap like this too. Makes stuff up out of whole cloth to protect the image of the family and her image as a good mother.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 02:48PM

He wasn't the president of Harvard, just the business school. So it wasn't as big a step down as portrayed. One may even claim it was a step up becoming a university president.

Or maybe he wanted to move back to Utah. Most Mormons who leave Utah come running back as soon as they can. They can't fit in outside the hive.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 03:01PM

the only fish in a school of minnows in the smallest pond on the continent.

Kim Clark was NOT the president of Harvard University. He was the George F. Baker Professor of Administration, and was the Dean of the Harvard Business School from 1995 to 2005.

And I say good riddance to someone who had such an influence over so many of Wall Street's recent sins...

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 06:56PM

Our new guy gets a little excited, and I guess we need to remember the "environment" he's currently in...

A few years ago I gave a ride to the airport to a "new hire" for BYU-I. He proposed we discuss some issues (he was a Chem-E guy) and suggested fluoridation...

I was treated to the usual crapola about it being a neuro-toxin, that "silicated fluorides" weren't the same as calcium fluoride, and some other stuff...

I wasn't quite up to speed on the Book of Mormon and Native American DNA like I am nowadays, or I would've suggested that one.

Posted by: heyimginger ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 06:59PM

What to you mean about the flouride, SL Cabbie? I've heard myths about flouride and "mind control" but them seem like conspiracy theories only.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 09:08PM

They aren't "myths" to the crackpots here who believe them.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/633573/Dont-force-fluoridation.html

We only managed fluoridation in Salt Lake County (and there are still areas without in the valley) in the last fifteen years or so; statewide there was no way to get past the "no socialized medicine" crowd and their tactics of lying and ignoring forty years of scientific evidence and research.

And while I'm in my"I'm-in-denial-I'm-Addicted-to-LDS-Freedom-Forum" stage...

http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9780&start=30

Cleon Skousen spoke out repeatedly on the subject... Here's one of his "disciples":

>Oh, and don't underestimate the effect of fluoridation on people. It promotes rigidity in thinking, plus loss of a few IQ points here and there.

Okay, some serious stuff. I had to really go-a-Googling; the search engine is getting pretty cranky these days on some subjects...

http://www.latterdayconservative.com/articles/w-cleon-skousen-is-asked-to-write-the-naked-communist/

http://open.salon.com/blog/jimbuba/2011/08/24/rebuttal_conspiracies

>In short, it appears to some that adding fluoride to the drinking water has either created or enabled a great number of maladies. The fact that so little research is published in this regard does not help suspicions. Is this a danger or plot? Is it totally incredible? Well, without sufficient data to either side of the argument, it should be held a possibility until more plausibly or effectively dismissed.

>Skousen's warning, published in 'The Naked Communist' (1958) and read into the Congressional record in 1963 relating to the Communist goals plus a number of hints subtle and otherwise, can easily be correlated to events since then.

I bring this stuff up just to show how gonzo these freaks are. And yes, it's personal. I could by a nice car for what my dental bills have been recently, having grown up with unfluoridated water. I could live with that reality, but to see it continually fostered on children in some areas is unconscionable.

Posted by: heyimginger ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 09:15PM

Oh Skousen, that says it all

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 03:23PM

He's also destroying BYU-I, and quickly too. Programs are being phased out, some professors (even entire departments) are being told to "teach by the spirit" (not kidding - the class is often allowed to sit in silence, after having read the textbook at home, until someone feels moved to ask a question - at that point another student is supposed to answer and the professor only steps in if needed), morality problems are rampant, semester and summer breaks are screwed up, and morale is often low. Two of our kids went there and they are SO glad they got done and got out before Kim Clark arrived. It's a mess up there.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 06:22PM

And don't forget, as with Oakes, Holland, the pickle guy, etc., it's a small step from church university president to the big 15.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 06:24PM

Funny how predictable the path is, isn't it? As exMos we can pretty much just sit back and watch them sell their souls to the devil, step by step.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 08:35PM

His house, if I am not mistaken is 8000 sq feet and houses a racquetball court for he and the other "brethern." I see him in the barber shop occassionally. He sits like Ceasar and pretends he is the only oxygen respirating entity in the room. No, he has it pretty good. He lives better than about 99% of the World's population. Come to think of it though, so do I. But I don't have an 8000 square foot home.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.