Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 05:25PM

No doubt, when it comes right down to it, LDSers are the ones who pay attention to the LDS religion more than anyone else.

For example, I just got an email from an ex-Mormon who wrote the following (which, of course, could easily refer to all the contributors to this forum who strive to bring troubled TBMs to their senses):

"Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your posts over at RFM. Always insightful and always beneficial as I shake my head and ask 'What the hell was I thinking all those years?'"

Yes, indeed, what the hell were we thinking all those years?

After all, many, if not most, of us here were once TBMs ourselves.
_____

RfM: Picking off Mormonism, one member of the gated-community flock at a time.

:)

Edited 15 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2012 08:19PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 05:36PM

but when I stop to think about it I think you are right on the money 100% not 10%.

It was the inside Mormon that converted me out of the church not those outside of Mormonisn that convinced me I was in an untrue church.

Of course now I'm converted to NO church....or is that uncoverted to ALL churches. They are all false.

And I left before the days of the internet. I expect had the internet been available it would not have taken me 13 years to leave TSCC.

What can I say, I'm a slow learner.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 06:46PM

Mormonism itself convinced me it was a lie. I had no other source of information at the time--none.

At some point you have to choose between the TSCC and your own self respect.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 09:56PM

"Mormonism itself convinced me it was a lie," you said. I know what you mean, and you couldn't have said it better.

Remember how awkward it felt to be Mormon? I lived in places as a kid that had very few Mormons. In New York City, a town of eight million, we had two wards. (It's hard to fool a New Yorker). And one ward was Spanish only (racist org.).

How could a kid accept that B.S?

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 06:51PM

I had all the information. I just needed to hear from other people going through the same thing, who had left and been happy after leaving. It was a big help.

On the other hand, RfM is a big black eye for the Mormon church. I've seen posts on RfM referred to on Slashdot, Digg and other places, and replies very often say things like "Well, that's the sign of a quality religion -- when you have a vibrant support group of ex-members." The very existence of RfM means that something is terribly wrong with Mormonism.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 08:14PM

Makurosu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The very existence of RfM means that something is terribly wrong with Mormonism.

This says it all, very true.

Show me a support group for ex-presbyterians, ex-universalists, ex-bahais, ex-methodists. Generally benevolent groups that do not use coercive psychological cult techniques do not produce the harm that produces the need for a support group.

On the other hand, show me a religious ex-member support group that is complete BS, and merely a front for some anti- campaign to falsely bring down a legitimate organization?

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 06:54PM

This web site is like getting an education...it really opened my eyes. When I found it around 2005, I was an inactive member with a LOT of guilt. I had just learned how to use a computer and had had no access to accurate information about the LDS cult. I was sort of just stuck with my guilt. I just could not handle the church and its crap anymore.

This site opened my eyes and saved me from the guilt! After studying here, I realized it was all based on lies and I had no reason to be guilty anymore! Hurray for RFM!!! I will never go back to the cult again!!!

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 07:58PM

I mean for those in the middle of mindfuck world, this could be a blessing.

especially the young people.

Posted by: XX-Man ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 08:18PM

Posted by: OzDoc ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 09:48PM

Finding RFM validated my 25 years of "absence" from Mormonism.

Even as a compliant child & teenager I could see inconsistencies and couldn't manage the double life needed to go along with them.

RFM reinforced that it was this which lead to my dis-affiliation, NOT pride,worldliness,the influence of Non-Mormons,hardness of spirit-all of which accusations have been levelled at me.

I regularly learn that things which I was taught are now denied,things I half knew are now fully exposed as ridiculous or untrue & that my discomfort with Mormon society & practices is shared by many others.

For every visitor to RFM who is deconverted there must be a thousand who are validated in their life choice.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 10:36PM

Until RFM I din't have the information I needed to put it all together. A lot of the pieces didn't fit.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 11:56PM

I said at one time, "Help me!" and received much help and comfort here.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 12:31AM

Agreed Steve. It gives you both the information you need to intellectually leave and the support you need to emotionally leave. And I love how those who've really investigated what Mormonism is are so willing to hang around and help those just starting their journey by sharing what they've learned. The information they share help those leaving to convince others to leave and so it goes.

The way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.

Posted by: ariadne ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 12:39AM

this website help me put all the pieces together. i was inactive and dealing with a lot of guilt in 2010 when i found this site. RFM has been a great source of strength for me because i don't feel like i am the only one who has been through this

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.