Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dragwit ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 10:05AM

So I've been thinking about it a lot lately, and it must have stunk in the areas where the book happened because they farted all the time... "and it came to pass..."

K maybe that was only funny in my head, but I'm laughing at myself now!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 10:15AM

Actually, it is much funnier how JS meant it. First, it was used to sound like scripture. Second, English doesn't need it at all where JS used it. If something is written consecutively, it is chronological. If something is not chronological, language requires words to place it out of such order.

I once tried to rewrite the BoM and got part way through 1 Nephi. The number of words shrank by a third without any loss of meaning. Apparently some languages need something to keep people thinking chronologically but not English.

BTW, I told the council about how badly written the BoM is and how difficult it is to read.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 11:56AM

Ether 14:23
"and the scent thereof went forth upon the face of the land, even upon all the face of the land; wherefore the people became troubled by day and by night, because of the scent thereof;"

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 12:00PM

Whenever he found his speech growing too modern which was about every sentence or two he ladled in a few such Scriptural phrases as exceedingly sore, and it came to pass, etc., and made things satisfactory again. And it came to passĀ was his pet. If he had left that out, his Bible would have been only a pamphlet.

Mark Twain

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 12:07PM

And the angel stretched forth his hand, and in his hand was a pint of beer. So I did partake of the pint of beer. Drink the pint of beer did I.

And it came to pass that after a short while that I did pass water.

Yeah, I mean, yea, passing the water did come to pass, even to the coming of the passing of the water within me, which is to say, that I did pass water.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.