Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rowan ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 09:06AM

I just wanted to give you an update on my breast cancer situation since it was your post that started me thinking about getting my mammogram done.

I saw the Oncologists last week. She said no chemo and no radiation. I will take Arimidex for 5 years and a shot every three months to keep my bones strong.

Your post was the first step on my discovering my cancer an (IDC) early enough to be of real value in my prognosis. My surgeon told me that my chances for survival now is 98%. I did opt for a bilater mastectomy for 2 reasons

1. My IDC was small a 7 mm, but it was a 3 of 3 agressive. Since timing is so important in finding the agressive cancers, I did not want to take the chance of letting another 3 of 3 get started and go too long before finding it.

2. Peace of mind...I just did not want the worry of more mammograms.

Thank you again for sharing your story here. I credit it and you with helping to save my life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 09:13AM

I'd like to hear how Cheryl is doing, too.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 10:05AM

Last Tuesday I had a bone scan, Wednesday a PETCT, Thursday I met with a new general care physician and fired the longtime uncooperative one, Friday a brain MRI. Today I meet with the new oncologist for those and some bloodwork results and plan for how he will help me. The first oncologist is long fired.

Wednesday morning I get tattoos and simulation planning for radiation which should be a long and possibly trying event. In the PM I get to have a haircut and blowdry with my stylist.

Thursday we get to go wine and olive oil tasting with friends and picnic and party for a few days of leisure before returning to radiation and other treatments. Chemo? I might refuse it. We'll see.

The California Senate passed the bill to require doctors to inform dense tissue breasted women that their mammograms are less than conclusive and to consider other testing options. The bill goes to the assembly where it will pass but might again be vetoed by Gov. Jerry Brown.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 10:12AM

Hugs to you, Cheryl. My thoughts will be with you.

TG

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 10:28AM

I hope all goes well for all! these health problems can really suck! :(

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 10:40AM

Keep us posted. Hope you have a nice time picnicking and partying.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 10:48AM

I have to have a mammogram and I'm only 33. My grandmother had breast cancer at that age so my doctor thinks it's best I have one. I was wondering how you are doing Cheryl.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 12:21PM

Posted by: Voce d' Sicce ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 02:22PM

I've been too timid to inquire as to your health, since I don't know either of you, personally. Just chiming in with the others: Please keep us apprised, if you're up to it, and feel so inclined.

My mother was diagnosed in the late 80s w/ breast cancer type B, inflammatory, rapid-growth. Her oncologist would look at me during her chemo sessions, as if to say, "You're next." Frankly, I haven't kept up with breast cancer advances, other than what I've learn during routine mammograms.

Your willingness to discuss helps me, more than you know, and I do appreciate it, very much.

Wishing both of you the absolute best,

Sicce

P.S. Ginger, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2012 02:24PM by Voce d' Sicce.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 02:27PM

Check it out:

http://youtu.be/174CKm1p8ZQ

Salt of the earth!

Timothy

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 02:38PM

... PARTY ON!

Hope all is well in your neck 'o' the woods!

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2012 02:39PM by Timothy.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 02:38PM

She had a 'real' vision!

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 06:07PM

I can only imagine how nerve-wracking it must be to hear the diagnosis and go through treatment. Last summer, I had the annual boobie-smushing and was told I needed a diagnostic (?) mammogram & ultrasound b/c there was a shadow on the film.

The three weeks until that follow-up were utter torture and I was a basket case, imagining the worst. I could have kissed the technician when she said the follow up was negative.

Best wishes to you ladies for successful treatments & outcomes!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.