Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: archaeologymatters ( )
Date: June 02, 2012 02:45PM

Interesting how the church has moved away from their strong anti-Catholic sentiment that really lasted into the 1980's.

It is funny in a way because with the pedophile scandal in the Catholic church, Mormons would have more justification for their anti-Catholic feeling than previously.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: June 02, 2012 02:52PM

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. The gays have organized and have become more powerful. The baptists don't like the Mormons and the Mormons don't like the Catholics but this homosexual menace must be dealt with so we will put our differences aside to fight this war. It's politics. Nothing new here.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 09:24AM

That is EXACTLY why the Mormons are no longer vocally anti-Catholic. It was initiated in February 1996, when Gordon B. Hinckley traveled to Hawaii and conferred with Catholic bishop Francis X. DiLorenzo on plans for a common campaign against same-sex marriage in Hawaii. The meeting took place at Hinckley's invitation at the luxurious property reserved for LDS bigwigs in Laie on the north shore of Oahu.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 02, 2012 02:54PM

The pedophile scandal probably scared the pee water out of the mormon church. They have the same problem. They've managed to pay off people, and keep it under wraps. If they start picking on the Catholics about their sex problems the tables could turn. That would not be a good thing for the mo's. They have a lot of secrets to keep, and most of them have nothing to do with the temple.

They just quietly tiptoed away from that one, and started playing nice with the Catholics.

Posted by: archaeologymatters ( )
Date: June 02, 2012 03:24PM

I don't want to sound like I am defending the Catholic church, because I am not. However, like you say the mormon church has had many sex abuse situations they have covered up as have other churches.

The Catholics deserve all the flack they get over their situation, but I think they get all of it because they are the big dawgs on the block. If the mormon church had 70 million members in the US, their history of sex abuse would be more of a headline.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 09:34AM

I don't know how many cases the church has covered up, or whose scandals go further. I do personally know of two cases the Mormon church pushed to have covered up in the 1980s. They persuaded a couple of families with molester family members, not to go to the police, because it would "damage their relationship with the abuser," though I believe the real reason is that Mormonism is supposed to be this religion that makes you into a super family, with no serious problems, and the church didn't want contradicting proof of that claim in the newspapers.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 05:27AM

TSCC is against all other churches ---- remember that they are all an abomination in His eyes.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 09:52PM

My wife was born and raised a Catholic and still is. She was raised in Raymond AKA "Peyton Place" and was the subject of verbal and psychological bullying from the Mormon kids. And she was not alone as I know others who experienced the same treatment at Raymond High School. And to this day I know of other non-mo people who have tried to run businesses in the southern Alberta "Moridor" and are all but boycotted by the Mormon population. Interesting though that the Royal Canadian Legion Branch in Cardston does land office business on the weekends . It's the only bar between Lethbridge and Waterton Lakes National Park.

Posted by: flyboy ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:22PM

I don't think young Mormons are as anti-Catholic as their elders and unless one lived in SLC in the 60s or 70s, it wasn't very noticeable. Even here in the Morridor, while the prejudice was somewhat subtle,it was largely ignored by the RCs because no one really gave a sh@t what Mormons thought. And those of us who went to RC schools hardly ever came into contact with the Morg. As to why, McKonkie's explanation was pretty straightforward. Complete BS but straightforward.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 12:21AM

The anti-Catholicism in the BoM really came from topical matters that were happening in Joseph Smith's era. It's surprising how many things he wrote in it applied to current events of his time. There was a strong anti-Catholic sentiment going on. A wave of anti-Masonic hysteria hit near that time too.. prompting the "secret combinations" writings in the BoM. Ironically later on in Nauvoo, Smith embraced Masonry and incorporated the rituals he learned into the temple ceremonies.

Did they take out "The great whore of all the earth" thing from the BoM yet? That was always said to be a Catholic reference...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.