Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: iteti27 ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 03:01PM

This is in response to a Bill Hamblin rant on the Fair site that was linked by an earlier post.

"It simply won’t do to insist that you’re not really a bigot because what you believe about Mormonism is really true. Anti-Semites honestly think they’re not bigots either–what they believe about Jews is really true: “I’m not bigoted! There really is an international Jewish banking conspiracy.”"
--Bill Hamblin

This kills me. It is a logical mistake that makes it hard for Mormons to hear things critical of their religion. Bill compares "what you believe about mormonism" to what "they [anti semites] believe about jews". The real comparison would be admit that "antimormanism" is not about hating mormons. It is about believeing that mormonism is untrue, or even hating mormonism. The comparison would be to hating judaism and believing it is untrue.

If Hitler had simply hated the jewish religion and tried to persuade jews that it was untrue, he would have been anti-jewishness I guess, or a missionary for another religion, but not anti-semitic which as another poster has pointed out is a kind of racism.

By equating criticism of the mormon religion with various kinds of racism and bigotry, people like Hamblin make a situation where ordinary people are aftraid to listen to the criticism of the religion because the critics are the equivalent of ranting racists. I don't know if Hamblin and other apologists are confused about this, or if it is a caculated means of discrediting critics.

Either way, it works I bet. I'm jewish, and as soon as I find out someone is nazi or klan member, their credibility takes a nose dive. Why would a believing mormon ever want to listen to an "antimormon"?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 03:06PM

The real anti-Semites, in my opinion, are those who seek to extinguish the unique Jewish identity by either calling it their own (through unilaterally claiming to be the true Jews via "adoption"), or by seeking to extinguish the unique Jewish identity through so-called "redemption theology" (whereby they strive to convert Jews away from their faith to that of another religion).

You know, like they do in anti-Semitic Mormonism.

Indeed, as RfM poster "Fetal Deity" has pointed out:

"In case you don't recall, the Book of Mormon is hardly Jew-friendly reading; its antisemitism perhaps culminates in the following extraordinarily bigoted and hateful exposition:

"'Wherefore, as I said unto you, it must needs be expedient that Christ ... should come among the Jews, among those who are the more wicked part of the world; and they shall crucify him ... and there is none other nation on earth that would crucify their God. For should the mighty miracles be wrought among other nations they would repent, and know that he be their God. But because of priestcrafts and iniquities, they at Jerusalem will stiffen their necks against him, that he be crucified. Wherefore, because of their iniquities, destructions, famines, pestilences, and bloodshed shall come upon them; and they who shall not be destroyed shall be scattered among all nations.' (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 10:3-6)"
_____

Posted by: Fetal Deity
Date: March 03, 2011 6:36 p.m.
"The ABC's of Book of Mormon Antisemitism ... A: Jews are stubborn and wicked, B: Jews are God-crucifiers, C: Jews are richly deserving of their punishments!"
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,128634,128634#msg-128634

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2012 03:37PM by steve benson.

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 03:38PM

It's typical abusive behavior, painting oneself as a victim when they are far from it! Mormons never endured genocide!! They were outlaws who refused to, and still do, obey the anti bigamy laws. And whenever they were attacked, it wasn't like they were in concentration camps! They shot back! Ugh, unless you're ACTUALLY a martyr you don't get to call yourselves that. Stupid Mormons, martyrdom is for martyrs, not outlaws. Typical Mormons, taking credit for evertthing they can, even being like Jews! The parallel he tries to make is outrageous and unfounded.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 03:46PM

FormerLatterClimber Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's typical abusive behavior, painting oneself as
> a victim when they are far from it! Mormons never
> endured genocide!!

I recall someone on here once posted that her aunt would complain to her that the Mormon persecutions in the 19th century were "as bad as the Holocaust." I can't remember whose post it was.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 04:10PM

Mormons are selling a product. 50,000 missionaries and every member a missionary. It's not antimormonism; it's a bad product review.

Do you like buying a product only to find out batteries are not included, or the product doesn't do what it says? Do you like being lied to? I don't.

Most people on this board were mormons. We're not speaking from ignorance. We're speaking from experience.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:31PM

I'm getting a little worn by the notion that everyone who disagrees with Mormonism is a hair away from advocating pogroms to root out Mormons by sword and fire.

We of all people really do have empathy for Mormons, and understand what it is like to be immersed in that mindset. Furthermore, the more anyone would try to ramp up any real persecution the more entrenched they would become. Only communication, reasoning, moral suasion, and in some cases temptation with beer and babes/beaus succeeds in rescuing people from Mormonism.

Personally, I think this is what the Mormon writers are throwing out to make Mormonism an off-limits subject for the election in the U.S. I see that in the Washington Post article Sunday by Jason Horowitz, and the response today by Richard Cohen. Romney's campaign has objected to even the most basic, benign, non-controversial descriptions of Mormon belief. They were clearly grappling with this from the Mormon/Jew paradigm.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 08:11PM

The MORmONS constantly aspire to take over the Jews status as God's chosen people.... when they are not emulating the Moslems.
( yes, really) which means being persecuted for being God's chosen! This goes a long way to rationalizing the MORmON persecution complex. Orrin Hatch told Mike Wallace ( who is Jewish) that MORmONS had suffered untold amounts of religious persecution, due to their LDS religious beliefs, which according to Hatch was unconscionable in a country based on religious freedom.

In reality, The suffering of the MORmONS is a pittance compared to the war waged on native americans, but that does not register because the NA spiritual tradition does not count as a legit tradtional( CHRISTIAN!!!) religion.... even though MORmONS claim that NA are really Lamanites with a lost Jewish/ Israelite heritage. yah there is some real MORmON *logic* in action for you! just keep going with it and you will end up stupid and insane enough to be a REAL MORmON! Somehow just MOCKING the MORmONS makes so much more sense.... even if it does reinforce their stupid notions about being God's chosen ppl among their MORmON selves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QknCsJQBcco

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.